You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Sep 13, 2019 7:36 pm

houston
Active

Grass fed beef

Yes, I confess. I eat beef, I am a Beefeater!
Stopped into this place and purchased some different cuts of beef. Have only tried the burgers so far. Have to say, they were delicious.

https://brookfrontfarms.com

#2 Sep 13, 2019 8:15 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Grass fed beef

I never understood the appeal of grass fed beef.  Of course hereabouts I was raised on corn fed beef.

Cool-Vintage-Iowa-Beef-Industry-Council-Enjoy-Corn.jpg

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Sep 13, 2019 8:19 pm)

#3 Sep 13, 2019 8:17 pm

Expat
Active

Looks good to me... Nuttin wrong with red meat in moderation. It's what we were intended to eat, not corn fed gmo laden toxic beef as sold south of the boarder.

Beef was never designed to process a farming bye product... corn, and we were not designed to live off it.

Simply because you can put it in your mouth chew it attempt to digest it, and ultimately poop it out doesn't mean it's ideally suited for your well being.

Last edited by Expat (Sep 13, 2019 8:20 pm)

#4 Sep 13, 2019 8:26 pm

houston
Active

I don't by beef from the grocery store any more no mater what the special. It looks very strange. Waxy fat the colour of chalk. Meat the colour of veal.

#5 Sep 13, 2019 8:30 pm

houston
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I never understood the appeal of grass fed beef.  Of course hereabouts I was raised on corn fed beef.

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/w1600/pic … y-Corn.jpg

You do know how good the flavour of venison is.

#6 Sep 13, 2019 8:57 pm

Expat
Active

houston wrote:

I don't by beef from the grocery store any more no mater what the special. It looks very strange. Waxy fat the colour of chalk. Meat the colour of veal.

Yes you are right, the waxy fat is because it IS corn fed. Naturally raised beef picks up the photosynthesis from the grass which helps to colour the fat.

Just as butter if it wasn't coloured to make it look the same year round would vary in shade from season to season depending on what they were fed on.

Not sure how they feed your beef when the snow is 15 ft deep....

I wonder if cattle would force their necks to graze on Corn if they were pastured in the same field with it?

Last edited by Expat (Sep 13, 2019 8:58 pm)

#7 Sep 13, 2019 9:15 pm

houston
Active

Good question. I'll be sure to find out.
Would straw be considered grass fed?

#8 Sep 13, 2019 10:50 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

A lot of cattle is fed on grass until a couple of weeks before market.  For those weeks they are in a feed lot and fed corn.

I have eaten a ton of venison in my life.  It is okay but just okay.  I tend to prepare it as sausage or in sauce dishes like stroganoff or in something like chili.  I don't care for it straight.

#9 Sep 14, 2019 4:44 pm

houston
Active

I guess it depends on your palate. I love the flavour but notice a big difference in taste between a corn fed deer and (which can taste similar to beef) and a deer from the northern regions that feeds on cedar browse.
Some say that the northern deer has too much of a wild gamey taste. I love the unique flavour. The lean meat can be amazingly tender when cooked properly.

#10 Sep 14, 2019 5:17 pm

houston
Active

Deer season is coming up. I see tons of hunters from the city in the rural agricultural areas. They basically ask a farmer for permission to hunt on his property. The farmer agrees as long as he gets rewarded with a freezer full of venison.
These city hunters are very tactical. They group up and have a few walk through the farmers bush to drive the deer into the open farm fields while the shooters line them up.  Always surprised that these guys don't wind up shooting each other. It's like watching a field of Elmer Fudds dressed in orange.

Board footer