You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Sep 15, 2019 10:56 am

Slice
Active

Re: Grass fed beef

Real Distwalker wrote:

I never understood the appeal of grass fed beef.  Of course hereabouts I was raised on corn fed beef.

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/w1600/pic … y-Corn.jpg

It is safer and the taste is outa this world as compared with chemical beef. Harder to cook but taste much much better.

#12 Sep 15, 2019 4:51 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Slice wrote:

It is safer and the taste is outa this world as compared with chemical beef. Harder to cook but taste much much better.

If you like your beef to taste like there is a bit of liver flavor mixed in, grass fed is better.  If you like well marbled beef with a buttery taste, corn fed every time.

#13 Sep 16, 2019 7:53 am

Slice
Active

Growing up in Grenada, one of the smells I remember was when me grand-mother used to make Beef soup or broth, we could smell that thing all over the house and yard. Gosh that ting smell  and tasted great.  It was all Grass fed beef. Now it is not the same, but Grass fed beef makes it very close.

Listen the best part of the cow to me is the tail. I won't make stew- curry Oxtail if it is not Grass Fed.  Me wife do not eat meat, but every time ah do me Oxtails she eats meat.

#14 Sep 16, 2019 8:30 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:
Real Distwalker wrote:

I never understood the appeal of grass fed beef.  Of course hereabouts I was raised on corn fed beef.

Probably local beef is harder to cook.... primarily because you get "Beef", not a cut of beef, but what ever they cut off, so it might be tenderloin, or shank..... you just get a lump of meet. Also unlike the UK local meet is not "hung", the animal is killed, its chopped up, and you cook it pretty soon after.  UK meat is killed and then hung in chilled conditions for around 28 days to let the meat soften and develop flavour. In other words its a controlled rot.

#15 Sep 16, 2019 8:39 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

You can get your beef any way you like it here.  If you want a particular cut or aged beef, it is available.  If I want to go pick out an individual living cow before it is butchered I can make that happen in Iowa.  I can step out on my front step and see cattle right now.  This is cattle country my limey friend and we know beef: It's what's for dinner.

This is within a mile of my front door.

raincows.jpg

#16 Sep 17, 2019 8:26 am

Slice
Active

Expat wrote:
Slice wrote:
Real Distwalker wrote:

Probably local beef is harder to cook.... primarily because you get "Beef", not a cut of beef, but what ever they cut off, so it might be tenderloin, or shank..... you just get a lump of meet. Also unlike the UK local meet is not "hung", the animal is killed, its chopped up, and you cook it pretty soon after.  UK meat is killed and then hung in chilled conditions for around 28 days to let the meat soften and develop flavour. In other words its a controlled rot.

I was talking about the USA. Yes ah get the cuts ah choose. Greenz ah doh know what allyu feed allyu animals in that country.  I still, buy nice cuts. The last time ah took ah PADNAH with me to buy beef, he looked at me like ah mad, because his cuts was much, much cheaper than mine.

Last edited by Slice (Sep 17, 2019 8:31 am)

#17 Sep 17, 2019 9:18 am

Real Distwalker
Active

When it comes to beef, you usually get what you pay for.

beef_quality_grades_eight_1_635627281891492000_1440.jpg

Board footer