You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Sep 21, 2019 1:06 pm

houston
Active

Did you know that vitamin D is good for you?

Yes, the article mentions something about vitamin D vs sunscreen.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/torontosun. … ciency/amp

#2 Sep 21, 2019 2:37 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Did you know that vitamin D is good for you?

As usual there is an alternative thought process. ie if you can't eat it don't put it on your skin, as your skin is porous and most sun barrier creams contain stuff you really DON'T want in your system.

For low level protection straight forward coconut oil wiped over your skin will act as a decent sunscreen, like factor fifteen I think.

Due to my health and originally living in Northern latitudes at one point I had virtually zero VitD in my system, partly how they figured I had problems. So in the UK Vit D tablets.

Living here, and almost never using sunscreen, and not very often spending long periods of time directly in the Sun, when I have had the same tests done again the Vit D levels were almost through the roof.

#3 Sep 21, 2019 4:49 pm

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:

As usual there is an alternative thought process. ie if you can't eat it don't put it on your skin, as your skin is porous and most sun barrier creams contain stuff you really DON'T want in your system.

For low level protection straight forward coconut oil wiped over your skin will act as a decent sunscreen, like factor fifteen I think.

Due to my health and originally living in Northern latitudes at one point I had virtually zero Vitatmin D in my system, partly how they figured I had problems. So in the UK Vit D tablets.

Living here, and almost never using sunscreen, and not very often spending long periods of time directly in the Sun, when I have had the same tests done again the Vit D levels were almost through the roof.

Yes, I know. I was deficient form many years. My doctor suggested  that I go in the sun with no sunscreen. I did just that. Many people of African descent have a low Vitamin D level and that is why we are prone
to cancer than any other race. We do not absorb the sun rays so easily because of our pigmentation.

Last edited by Calypso (Sep 21, 2019 4:52 pm)

#4 Sep 21, 2019 7:08 pm

Slice
Active

Every winter, ah have to take that vitamin. I get plenty of it in the summer, but winter is ah different story.

#5 Sep 21, 2019 7:48 pm

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:

Due to my health and originally living in Northern latitudes at one point I had virtually zero Vitatmin D in my system, partly how they figured I had problems. So in the UK Vit D tablets.

Yes, I know. I was deficient form many years. My doctor suggested  that I go in the sun with no sunscreen. I did just that. Many people of African descent have a low Vitamin D level and that is why we are prone
to cancer than any other race. We do not absorb the sun rays so easily because of our pigmentation.

Accepted Black folks have a Vit D deficiency in Northern Climbs, but from a research paper formulated in the UK between Whites, Blacks and South Asians. Whites had the highest number of every kind of cancer by a large margin compared to Blacks and overwhelmingly compared to Southern Asians.

I note they had higher numbers of whites to study in the research which may have screwed the results, but they seem to have factored that in as best they could.

https://academic.oup.com/qjmed/article/ … 23/2948320

While Cancer may be the second leading cause of death in Blacks in the USa, that is also sub divided into whether they are indigenous, or traveled from Caribbean countries.  The Caribbeans have a much lower incidence that their home grown contemporaries. In fact immigrant blacks have a better rate of cancer than if they stayed in their home countries.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 … 085020.htm

Last edited by Expat (Sep 21, 2019 7:57 pm)

#6 Sep 21, 2019 8:31 pm

Dancer
Active

houston wrote:

Yes, the article mentions something about vitamin D vs sunscreen.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/torontosun. … ciency/amp

Sun Stroke :
Sure you want to talk about Vit D  .   houston. lol.
Happy Hanika. lo.

Board footer