You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Sep 23, 2019 12:45 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I posted this on a Facebook site for Urgent Fury vets...

I thought I would share it here too.

In the months prior to the invasion, there was increasing tension in the People's Revolutionary Government (PRG) in Grenada. Prime Minister Maurice Bishop was popular with the people of Grenada and a beloved protege of Fidel Castro in Cuba.

Hardliner Marxist/Leninists in the PRG - including Bernard Coard - were worried that that a personality cult was developing and that Bishop was being supported against the masses by Cubans on the island. They demanded more joint leadership at the head of the PRG. Bishop wasn't too keen on this and tensions rose among the Marxist comrades. Bishop was eventually placed under house arrest by the hardliners.

On October 19th, a mass of Grenadians went to his home and freed him and took him to Fort George. One thing led to another and events were unclear but, eventually, the hardliners dispatched troops to the fort and, following a brief fire fight, the fort was taken.

Maurice Bishop and his inner circle were put up against the wall at Ft. George and machine gunned that day, October 19th. A Revolutionary Council of Marxist/Leninist hardliners took control of the island and issued a 24 hour shoot-on-sight curfew.

At that point a coalition of Caribbean nations asked the US to restore stability in the region and democracy in Grenada. Reagan responded and added the evacuation of US citizens on the island to the mission. The result was Operation Urgent Fury.

It was just five and a half days between when Bishop was summarily executed and the first parachute opened over Pt. Salines.

This is the official narrative.

In his book, however, Bernard Coard claims the CIA was working on the island and sewing discord inside the PRG. This discord was to result in the executions and the pretext for the invasion. Some Grenadians today believe this although most still hate Coard.

I have always considered this pure fantasy and still do. Still, I have seen comments on this site from those who say that they were being briefed a week or more before the invasion. In other words, they were being briefed on the invasion before Bishop was executed. Maybe their memories are flawed but, if not, that is a very important bit of information.

Now it could be that the invasion was planned to take place anyway and, in the midst of that planning, Bishop was executed. I have seen no one make that case, however.

So what is the real deal?

Is the official story accurate?

Was planning of an invasion underway and then, out of the blue and serendipitously, Bishop was executed handing Reagan a pretext for the invasion on a silver platter?

Was the CIA behind the events of October 19?

It's a quandary.

#2 Sep 24, 2019 8:55 am

Dancer
Active

Re: I posted this on a Facebook site for Urgent Fury vets...

Some like  living  in the past a little to much for my liking.     ...... How about trying the present !!!!

Today is Sept 24 .2019  ...... A 14 year old Teenager  GRETA ....  at the United Nations , tells the World * ALL ABOUT MONEY  *is not the answer.
RD thinks the  current economic system and behavior  is the best 'we can be'
Pollute  the Earth  , cause climate change  all in the name of 'We are the best'
I hope GRETA causes him to ' use his brain '
Let's hope.

Since my memory is not too  shabby and love is not divorced 'too much' from the boy.
Should be the man from IOWA  birthday around this time ,  since,   he said  so  a couple of weeks ago.

Well ----  As you know me and tunes in my head especially in the morning  .....  " this one was today ."

Praise My Soul The King Of Heaven.
.... Angles help us to adore him
Ye behold him face to face
Sun and Moon bow down before him
Dwellers all in time and space
Praise him , praise him
Praise with us the God of grace.

Just say thanks for another Birthday.

#3 Sep 24, 2019 9:41 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Good memory.  I will be 56 on October 3rd.

#4 Sep 24, 2019 3:05 pm

Expat
Active

I remember 56, but I think 46, 36, 26 were better in increasing preference as the years get younger.

#5 Sep 24, 2019 7:52 pm

houston
Active

So true, and the years between those decades in the opposite direction get shorter and shorter. Time seems to fly as you age. Maybe it's because there is so much stored in the memory bank that it all feels like yesterday.
Of course, we all eventually hit the point where we can't remember yesterday. Let alone what we had for breakfast.

#6 Sep 24, 2019 7:57 pm

houston
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Good memory.  I will be 56 on October 3rd.

I got a few months on ya RD....Jan/63.

#7 Sep 24, 2019 10:10 pm

houston
Active

Way ahead of ya...Just calculated that I would have been in senior Kindergarten while you were still in junior.

#8 Sep 25, 2019 7:06 am

Slice
Active

Yes the CIA was working behind the scene.  Teddy Victor admitted he was working with the CIA. Teddy was the main figure, but there was another person working with Teddy, now he never admitted to me that he was working for the CIA, but he outlined to me in detailed all that was happening.

Coard had one agenda, and that was to make Grenada ah communist nation. He did not have the support of Grenadians; therefore, he had no choice, but to kill Maurice.  One must also remember that Coard was not even the third most popular person in the REVO.

Dancer these are not Hollywood stars, which you constantly post about all the time, future and past, so ah doh get your argumnet with RD. Stop talking SHEET! The revo and  everything else is past and future.  While in Grenada there was a conference on the revo which was hosted by I think UWI and SGU.  Maurice Bishop is still the most popular person in Grenada.

#9 Sep 25, 2019 12:42 pm

Dancer
Active

We are talking about time here ..... Not the REVO  per se.

Slice the REVO discussions  will go on for years in Gree.    UWI  , SGU , London , USA , Caribbean   . You get the drift.
The REVO  , I stay away from . ...... What I am talking about is TIME.   Past , present  and future.
>  You had me working today  , about a REVO answer . I tossed it all away. There is no future  in that . <

** So some examples of living in the past for everyone.

. One constantly reflect  on  ' when times were better ?
.. You constantly reflect and replay in your mind a horrible or traumatic event in the past , perpetuating your feeling of being a victim.
... You ruminate on something that made you feel ashamed or embarrassed in the past and avoid it in the present.
.... You are perpetually filled with regret for a choice 'you should have made in the past' ... or not.
..... You have a habit of chronically mourning a 'past love' or someone who died.

**** they are other examples    , but you get the vibe.

Let me finish with this ::: Yesterday is history , Tomorrow is a mystery and  TODAY a gift.
That is why it is called the PRESENT.

#10 Sep 25, 2019 11:34 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

Yes the CIA was working behind the scene.  Teddy Victor admitted he was working with the CIA. Teddy was the main figure, but there was another person working with Teddy, now he never admitted to me that he was working for the CIA, but he outlined to me in detailed all that was happening.

Coard had one agenda, and that was to make Grenada ah communist nation. He did not have the support of Grenadians; therefore, he had no choice, but to kill Maurice.  One must also remember that Coard was not even the third most popular person in the REVO.

Dancer these are not Hollywood stars, which you constantly post about all the time, future and past, so ah doh get your argumnet with RD. Stop talking SHEET! The revo and  everything else is past and future.  While in Grenada there was a conference on the revo which was hosted by I think UWI and SGU.  Maurice Bishop is still the most popular person in Grenada.

As a rank outsider at that time, and only going on dey say, my understanding was Bishop had never wanted to sign up fully to the Communist agenda, and had tried to get help from both the Brits AND the Yanks, who both blanked him as he was seen to have been sleeping with the enemy. However this lack of commitment made him a target for the hard liners.

My main misgiving about Bishop is yet more day say, that he didn't seem to be backward in interrogating or some might even call it torturing dissidents having a penchant for putting out cigarettes on them.

It is very hard to tell what is true in Grenada, as everyone is very polarised, and truth is often lost in partisanship.

Board footer