You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Sep 30, 2019 12:14 am

Expat
Active

Death Penalty

I have just watched a BBC series about the death penalty being used in Arkansas during 2017, when there was a problem with expiring Midazolam which is a low grade anesthetic.

I must admit having a problem with the death penalty, although some of those Prisoners certainly had done some pretty horrible things.

There was supposed to be 8 executions, but in the end 4 were either commuted, or staid... beyond the expiry date so may still be executed at some time in the future.

Of the 4 that died one up until his dying breath claimed innocence.

My issue is why the bloody hell do they have to use such a seemingly complicated and often flawed method to end their lives.

It is on record that elsewhere there have been numerous cases of flawed and gruesome executions using this drug, with one poor bastard gasping for air unable to move, and apparently in great burning pain for 1 hour and 57 minutes.

Personally apart from the expense of keeping people in jail for 50 odd years, I think it is more of a punishment to have a restricted life, especially in these notoriously violent prisons in America, than to be executed in a clean and decent manner.

You can kill a dog or cat in seconds without trauma, or pain, with simply an overdose of an effective anesthetic.

The Midazolam is not actually an anesthetic as used to put people to sleep prior to operations, it is a pre anesthetic, used to calm and tranqualise children before going to the operating theater at which point the real anesthetic would be administered, and you would count down from 10 and be out of it before you reach 4. This stuff is also dispensed for anxiety, and sleep disorders.

The only up side for this is it is not as bad as the Spanish garotting where they gave up on simply winding a cord until the victim died.... to make it more humane they devised putting a spike on a screw thread at the back of the neck and screwing that into the spinal cord.... Only thing is often times it would travel tangentially and even come out through the neck into the mouth of the person who was very not dead.

The firing squad is a bit dramatic, the Guillotine leaved the body dead, but with the oxygenated brain functioning post decapitation until the oxygen runs out and the brain passes out and dies.

Electric chair... Old smoky.... not good, having your innards fried before you lose consciousness as has happened is nasty.

While it can be botched the good old Brits with their dependable long drop had it down to a fine art, with body mass, physique, etc calculated so you drop, your neck breaks you are gone. The British executioner Albert Pierrepoint in the UK had it down to such a fine art the prisoner would pass through a concealed door be hooded and dropped in about 12 seconds. He executed between 450 and 600 prisoners, some of which were tried in Nuremberg.

#2 Sep 30, 2019 7:21 am

New Historian
Active

Re: Death Penalty

There's a great movie about Pierrepoint, his son used to help him. In later life he opened a pub and you can imagine the banter at the bar!

#3 Sep 30, 2019 9:07 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I oppose the death penalty 100 percent.  Not because some of these people don't deserve it.  I oppose it due to the constant threat of improper prosecution.  I don't think government should have the authority to kill its citizens.  Period.

#4 Sep 30, 2019 9:53 am

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I oppose the death penalty 100 percent.  Not because some of these people don't deserve it.  I oppose it due to the constant threat of improper prosecution.  I don't think government should have the authority to kill its citizens.  Period.

Except the police?

#5 Sep 30, 2019 9:55 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Pro Tip: When stirring up shit, always stir counter-clockwise.

#6 Sep 30, 2019 10:31 am

New Historian
Active

Who me????

#7 Sep 30, 2019 8:51 pm

Expat
Active

Listen to the man, he seems to have some experience..... smile

#8 Sep 30, 2019 10:04 pm

houston
Active

"The Execution of Private Slovik"

I remember watching this film as a kid and being stunned by the fact that the military would kill it's own. Many soldiers were executed for simply being human during WW1 but this was 1945.
I think Slovik was the last soldier to face a firing squad of fellow U.S soldiers. Interesting story.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Slovik

Board footer