You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Oct 01, 2019 12:27 pm

Slice
Active

EXPAT AND NH OR ANY OTHER GRENADIAN

THAT  READS BUT DO NOT POST. As we get ready to revive the Maypole dance in Grenada, could anyone tell me, in which parish in Grenada, the May Pole started?

We are in the beginning stages of  reviving the May pole, and we are hoping, that it will be ready for carnival 2020. Anyone who has interest, in assisting us please make contact with me, you help will be much appreciated.  Not only finance, but other ideas you think that can make the revival ah success.

Last edited by Slice (Oct 02, 2019 6:29 am)

#2 Oct 01, 2019 6:35 pm

Expat
Active

Re: EXPAT AND NH OR ANY OTHER GRENADIAN

Slice wrote:

THAT  READS BUT DO NOT POST. As we get ready to revive the Maypole dance in Grenada, could anyone tell me, in which parish in Grenada, the May Pole started?

We are in the beginning stages of  reviving the May pole, and we are hoping, that it will be ready for carnival 2020. Anyone who has interest, in assisting us please make contact with me, you help will be much appreciated.  Not only finance, but other ideas you think that can make the revival ah success.

They have already started reviving it, as it was danced at the Red Gate vendors market a couple of weeks ago as part of their 1st anniversary celebrations. I didn't see it but I could hear them going on about it.

Kinda wondered why they would be reviving an English folk practice. Which originated from a pagan fertility rite. Similar history in other European counties.

#3 Oct 02, 2019 6:34 am

Slice
Active

Very interesting, somewhat ah  kinda revival. Doh forget we are of different cultures, yep English also.  Grenadian are knee high in the English culture. Ah just doh get it, why on earth, would they hold on to the English, when America is three hours away.

#4 Oct 02, 2019 10:16 am

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

Very interesting, somewhat ah  kinda revival. Doh forget we are of different cultures, yep English also.  Grenadian are knee high in the English culture. Ah just doh get it, why on earth, would they hold on to the English, when America is three hours away.

I ask the question in reverse,

Why the hell would you take on everything American simply because you have a predominantly American Campus.

Silly things like using yellow paint on the roads, when white is more visible?

Using cluttering no parking signs which make the place look a mess, when a yellow line or two at the roads edge depending on category of no parking is immediately tells the driver no parking there (this is pan European). Or the adopting of American Mothers day? why?  or, and it's happening in the UK too.... trick or treating.... why.

We are all victims of poor American grammar, and phonetic spelling simply because they threw away the book and created their own... from my viewpoint mainly because with a vast multi origin immigrant population it was easier to make things simple. Via films and now media we pick it up subconsciously.

However there is a historic reason why words were spelt one way or another, they had roots in Latin, Germanic, Greek, and to simply throw that out with the bath water... It devalues the reasoning behind the language.

We accept languages change, old English is far removed from modern English, but it seems to me that the accepted English of 100 to 50 years ago was a better animal than the corrupted version that even I fall prey to from time to time.

Having ranted, I think the answer to your question is you have hundreds of years of shared history... OK we know some of it bad, but none the less your entire culture was a spin off of being part of the Empire, and obviously that which carried over from the original place of origin, but simply being closer by plane, and all you are talking about is a 5 hour flight difference is hardly a reason for dumbing down.

There is one word that I keep hearing from American sources that really bugs me at the moment, the ending is altered for some weird reason, it escapes me at the moment, but I'll add it in when I hear it again.

Last edited by Expat (Oct 02, 2019 10:21 am)

#5 Oct 02, 2019 10:25 am

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

From a culture that tries to reintroduce Africanisms, it seemed funny that a European concept would be quoted as being part of your culture that needed to be revived, the implication being that it had African origins, I just wonder if these revivalists have not done their research.

On the other hand.... why not....   smile

Board footer