You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Oct 15, 2019 9:45 pm

houston
Active

Immigration process

A tip for those Brits that try to sneak into the states to become illegal nannies.
"Never veer for a deer"
Otherwise you could wind up in Guatamino Bay with some not so pleasant water treatments.
Actually, I think the writer of the story must be missing a few details. Find it hard to believe that a family that accidentally crossed the border would be treated like that.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/torontosun. … to-u-s/amp

#2 Oct 15, 2019 11:11 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Immigration process

Americas isolation is likely to increase as they first block the Diplomats wife from being returned to the UK after wiping out a 19 year old motorcyclist when the wife had understandably accidentally driven onto the wrong side of the road after leaving a US base..... Now treating a non migrant family like asylum seekers.... America is going to start feeling very lonely soon.

It's a good job it can survive on it's internal market, but if it starts to be an international persona non grata then the home market will suffer as export markets slip away.

So much has happened recently, and not just under Trumps watch. In maybe less than 5 years America is going to wake up and realise taking it's eye off the ball, and carping on about how much it spends on this and that country for no return will have resulted in it not being needed, as other large powers, or wanna be large powers will have run with the ball, and made them inconsequential.

I've said it one way or another before, over the millenia Empires have risen and fallen, and seemingly the duration has been quicker at each iteration, now whilst not an empire, the global strength of America is declining fast.

Last edited by Expat (Oct 15, 2019 11:29 pm)

#3 Oct 16, 2019 6:55 am

Slice
Active

So this story is saying, that there are no check points from Canada, from ah paved road?  Well lord that is hard to believe.  They did not crossed any border and entered into USA.  This story might be true, but ah doh believe it.

#4 Oct 16, 2019 9:04 am

houston
Active

Slice, it's the longest international border in the world. Believe me, there are a lot of unchecked crossing points. But yes, there's something fishy about that story.

#5 Oct 16, 2019 9:25 am

Real Distwalker
Active

The Washington Post is reporting that it wasn't an accidental crossing.  They have video of the people driving off-road through a barrier ditch and past warning signs.  They also had $16,000 cash in the vehicle and it is against the law to enter the US with more than $10,000 in cash without a declaration.

The Post is also reporting that US immigration tried to let them return to Canada but Canadian immigration refused to take them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immigrat … story.html

#6 Oct 16, 2019 9:29 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Looking at Blaine Washington on Google satellite photos, I am not seeing anyplace where you can cross the border other than at the official border crossing or by driving off-road.

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.9962724 … a=!3m1!1e3

#7 Oct 16, 2019 9:32 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Here is probably the easiest spot to cross the border up there.  The road on the right is Canada and the road on the left is US.  I find no road crossing.  You would have to drive through the ditch.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.0022706 … 312!8i6656

I am guessing that if you were a Brit who drove across a ditch to illegally enter Canada from the US carrying $16,000 in cash and US immigration refused to allow you to return, Canadian immigration would probably treat you about the same way as US immigration treated these people.  I doubt they would say, "Welcome to Canada."

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Oct 16, 2019 10:37 am)

#8 Oct 16, 2019 6:37 pm

houston
Active

The 49th. parallel has some interesting zigzags and jogs, especially along the eastern portion. I used to have a large text called Between Friends that was given to me by an aunt in 1976, a coffee table book I guess it would be called. The book was full of amazing photos of the Canada/U.S.A. border. Many of a painted line the ran along the middle of a floor in restaurants, bars, libraries etc. So if you were at a particular bar, you might have to cross the border to play some pool.
Wish I could find that book. I see it goes for 600 bux on Amazon these days.

https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/06/07/ … 02435.html

#9 Oct 16, 2019 6:44 pm

houston
Active

Living near the border is interesting. See all kinds of plates from just about every U.S state. The other day I was travelling behind a vehicle from Iowa and wondered if RD was up for a visit.
Tried to get a shot but it was a bit risky on the busy hwy 401.

20190905-094325.jpg

#10 Oct 16, 2019 7:03 pm

houston
Active

No, not that type of shot RD. I meant with a camera for a view of the Iowa plates.

Board footer