You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Oct 26, 2019 7:09 pm

Expat
Active

Boy oh boy, Grenadians really like to copy

Quite why they can't innovate I don't know, but.....

Before we get all hissey fitty, think about it.

If someone opens a grocery store someone else will open one 2 minutes walk away.

If some one opens a rum shop, then probably 3 others will crop up in the area.

All this does is diminish the returns for the one who started the process, and everyone scratches for cents.

The latest example is I just saw a facebook page for the tri island chocolate company. There are already about four different chocolate companies following on from the original started by the American who got electrocuted.

I believe it is very difficult to get finished product licensing for export for some whack reason, and even if you get it there are limits on the amount of product you can export, so unless these latest brands have some real clout, then they are for local sale only.... back to 5 rum shops in the same area again.

#2 Oct 27, 2019 7:13 am

Slice
Active

Re: Boy oh boy, Grenadians really like to copy

So you think America is different? Anything that is ah success, will have plenty copy cats. If ah commerical is gaining attention, there will be about twenty, that looks the same. BTW ah still waiting to see Belmont Chocolate at Whole Foods. Ah wonder why the delay?  Maybe ah got jumbied by the Tour Guide.

#3 Oct 27, 2019 8:40 am

New Historian
Active

Expat wrote:

If someone opens a grocery store someone else will open one 2 minutes walk away.

All this does is diminish the returns for the one who started the process, and everyone scratches for cents.

The latest example is I just saw a facebook page for the tri island chocolate company. There are already about four different chocolate companies following on from the original started by the American who got electrocuted.

I believe it is very difficult to get finished product licensing for export for some whack reason, and even if you get it there are limits on the amount of product you can export, so unless these latest brands have some real clout, then they are for local sale only.... back to 5 rum shops in the same area again.

And what's wrong with that? It's called capitalism dude, may the strong survive. Maybe the new entrants are expanding the chocolate market not eating into (pun intended) the Grenada Choc Co. Juvay certainly has carved out a niche. Good luck to 'em!

#4 Oct 27, 2019 4:32 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

So you think America is different? Anything that is ah success, will have plenty copy cats. If ah commerical is gaining attention, there will be about twenty, that looks the same. BTW ah still waiting to see Belmont Chocolate at Whole Foods. Ah wonder why the delay?  Maybe ah got jumbied by the Tour Guide.

No, obviously in larger countries there are multiple sources of a product or service. Umpteen supermarket chains, and Sun Blind manufacturers whatever. However the space to operate is vastly different, and true there will be collisions along the way, and one company might take over a competitor in the same field. But on inception I doubt IGA set up right next door to Woolworths. That is my point.

Here in Grenada with such a small customer base to see a pissant store selling 3 cans of orange juice and two packets of crix, and then you set up another pissant store 5o yards away is dumb to say the very least. Ultimately the same will be said of the never ending supplies of chocolate.

#5 Oct 27, 2019 4:35 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:
Expat wrote:

And what's wrong with that? It's called capitalism dude, may the strong survive. Maybe the new entrants are expanding the chocolate market not eating into (pun intended) the Grenada Choc Co. Juvay certainly has carved out a niche. Good luck to 'em!

Answer as per the one to Slice, while there are multiple multiple companies all over America that sell the same product, be it tractors or insurance, it is almost certain that while they might eventually compete for the same market they mostly didn't start up with warehouses or offices next to each other in the same town.

#6 Oct 27, 2019 6:49 pm

New Historian
Active

Lord yuh pessimistic eeh? You think these chocolate companies are depending on the local market to survive? The analogy of the rum bar around the corner is flawed, because they are all competing for the very small market basically within walking distance from the shop. And if someone in England tries one brand of Grenadian chocolate and likes it, next time she'll try another brand - or both. So that Grenadian chocolate becomes more than a particular brand, it becomes an industry. Expand the industry - and your mind.

#7 Oct 28, 2019 7:08 pm

Expat
Active

Yep if the expansion of finished products into the open market was easy I would agree with you 100%, but from convos gone bye I am lead to believe that the GOVERNMENT does not allow finish products like chocolate or Nutmed out without limitations.

It is absolutely nuts, but I guess they do not want to upset existing markets for the raw materials?  I dunno, but yet another anally retentive practice that undermines your opinion of what should happen.

So maybe we should leave my mind out of the equation eh?

#8 Oct 28, 2019 7:32 pm

New Historian
Active

" I am lead to believe that the GOVERNMENT does not allow finish products like chocolate or Nutmed out without limitations."

That sounds so preposterous you need to come better than "I am led to believe" - by whom? What, exactly, did "they" say? Are you telling me the government restricts the amount of exports a company may make? They REGULATE exports, make sure all is in order etc, but restrict? I can't see that. So, further and better particulars, if you please.

And as for your mind, my sincere apologies for treading on soft ground lol!!! smile

#9 Oct 28, 2019 8:22 pm

Expat
Active

I agree it sounds stupid, but like I stated the rational is that with cocoa we should not be "competing" with the Worlds chocolate industry in a way that would cost us some of our cocoa market. Likewise we have a large nutmeg and mace market to preserve, so I think you will find as stated Nutmed has restricted exports.

Maybe if we imported some steel and then tried to export zinc coated nuts and bolts there would be no problem, but our fundamental crops could warrant protection no?

I know who told me, and I know their info is usually up to speed, but I am sure if it worries you, a man of your talents  should be able to research it independently.

#10 Oct 29, 2019 8:56 am

Slice
Active

Expat in a way ah kinda see what you saying, about the original chocolate maker, but I think there are ah huge market out there for Grenadian Chocolate, and I agree that Grenadian should try and cash in.  Listen ah doh remember the name, but there is one Chocolate company in Grenada, tht claim their product is superior than others and their price is totally  in the space as compared with other chocolate makers, who knows that kinda chocolate might find ah nitch with the super wealthy in the world.

Look there are a number of rum makers in  Grenada, but someone now is in Grenada from overseas making ah special rum, that won't be sold in Grenada.  Man where there are monies, there are no honor among thieves.

Board footer