You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Oct 28, 2019 7:03 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Old Grenadian House

Does anyone know anything about this house?

73358332-2516652681760131-8205554183152074752-n.jpg

#2 Oct 29, 2019 8:40 am

Slice
Active

Re: Old Grenadian House

Not dat I would know, but if you tell us the location, it might help.

#3 Oct 29, 2019 5:29 pm

Expat
Active

If he could tell us the location he could probably pretty easily work it out for himself... Lordy.

#4 Oct 29, 2019 6:35 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

If he could tell us the location he could probably pretty easily work it out for himself... Lordy.

Yep, I could.  A soldier who was there in '83 set up a patrol base near that house.  He said he always wondered about it.  I said I would ask around. 

I don't even know if it still exists.

#5 Oct 29, 2019 6:36 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

He couldn't tell me where it was.  He couldn't remember being a ground-pounder and all.

#6 Oct 29, 2019 6:46 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

He couldn't tell me where it was.  He couldn't remember being a ground-pounder and all.

The topography kinda looks like it might be North of St Georges on the West side,  to my non local eye.... I thought you had spotted a piccy on line rather than acquiring it from a Vet.

#7 Oct 29, 2019 6:47 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

All that whacky backy an all.... smile

#8 Oct 29, 2019 7:13 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

All that whacky backy an all.... smile

There is a non-trivial chance that is true.

He did tell me that they set up a patrol base on the grounds but command wouldn't let them occupy the house.  They did go in to clear it and search it, however.  When he was in there, he saw a case of champagne.

His unit left and another took his place.  By the time he came back a in a week, several units had used that patrol base.  He noticed when he came back, the champagne was still there.  That struck him. smile

#9 Oct 29, 2019 7:58 pm

New Historian
Active

If it was whisky it might have been different lol!I can well imagine that the grunts behaved well in Grenada, for one thing they had an appreciative local population, and culturally there's a lot more familiarity than dealing with locals from say Iraq. The story of "the first Thanksgiving" when Grenadians spontaneously is proof of the good behavior of the invader/liberators. Did you experience that RD?

#10 Oct 29, 2019 9:28 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I did.  In fact, I can't remember any Grenadian being rude or cold at all.  They were all pleasant.  When I came back in the Spring of 1984, there were a very few medical students who acted like we were lepers or something but no Grenadians. 

I know I have told you all that I didn't see any combat.  I never fired my weapon at anything other than water and only to warn an unknown pleasure craft to turn around and stay out of that area.

I will say that Grenadians quickly turned to trade.  They would sell us stuff like pop, fruit and bread and would trade cases of C-Rations for cases of Carib.

Board footer