You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Nov 04, 2019 11:27 am

Slice
Active

SHOULD TALKSHOP BE GONE?

As some of allyu know the shop got more readers than posters.  I think some folks on here know the owners of this space.  Yes I do know who owns the shop.  Here is what one of the owners wanna know, should they keep it going for another year? She asked that all current posters please let her know if she could keep it going?  From me end I would say without thinking, please keep it going.  I truly love this place.  Scared of FB, and  twitter. 

On another issue Clyburn says Buttigieg will not be elected because he is gay.  Clyburn says older Black voters would not vote for him.  I agree with Clyburn.  I hate him but this time I agree with him.  Anyone who wants Trump reelected should vote for Buttigieg, Harris and the other Black one.

#2 Nov 04, 2019 2:11 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: SHOULD TALKSHOP BE GONE?

Nooooooo!!!

#3 Nov 04, 2019 4:50 pm

Dancer
Active

Talk Shop  takes an effort.

You have to read , you have to have an idea of the world. you have to express your view of life.
Talk Shop is people ,   being told , ...that  there are  talking crap  or thanks . lol.
And understand that this is the WWW and learn to round-out one's  fragile  ego. lol
But its a cultural thing too.
..... One of my self question .... I wonder how many 'middle class ' people in Gree.  Middle age ,  have access to computers .
And I mean , the REVO is an important subject. But widen it nuh!.
;;;;;;;;

Now Really !!!

This TS is usually touted as  a GREE infomation centre  ..... IT'S NOT.  not really
I joined years ago because it was   INTERNATIONAL/Caribbean.

90% of the early poster were , as far as I could ascertain   (good  word) lol
Were immigrants to Us , Canada, Uk. and Visitors that like Gree.
There was the political talk that got shut down.  ( missed  chance to get to know each other better)
Paranoia. Suspicion ,  and   TOM want to know who Jane is ,  or Jack is .  PURE BULL.
ITs the WWW.
Get with it. lo.

So in summing up  the International  nature  of the shop had  some  missing the boat  and jealous .
" I could be wrong " .lo.

I know I will be off for a couple of months, hot sun don't keep one inside.  Lo.

#4 Nov 05, 2019 12:01 am

Bamseeboy

Somebody gon pay de bills, nah!  Make me feel de luv!

#5 Nov 05, 2019 6:55 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Three years on this new site this month. Too bad it hasn't taken off.  I guess we are just a boring bunch.

#6 Nov 05, 2019 10:29 pm

Expat
Active

It would be a shame if it dies, but if someone has to pay the bills is it fair that it is so under used.

Personally I loath facebook with a passion, I quite, and then because a specific interest had a presence I rejoined..... but have no "friends" apart from the specific interest group.... I think all this multiple add a friend thing with people you have no clue as to who they are is pretty pathetic. I do not as some I know, Macco what people who do not have the sense to keep their business off the www. I certainly do not care what they are eating, as seems to be popular.

Do I want to say the world in 26 characters, or what ever twitter limit is, do I want followers.... No. It's the ultimate in sadness.

To joust with friends either I actually know, or at least have become acquainted with in text over the years, and the exchange of information is what Talkshop has been for me, a playful arena, where sometimes we get hot under the collar, but a glass of ice water down the neck soon cools us down.

I think we lost something when the old format had to go, but I still do not understand why there are so many lurkers who have NOTHING to add to the party.

Where have all the vitriolic posters gone, I know we can't keep running round in circles with the same old same old topics, and Trump can't fulfil us for long, he is after all a very vacuous individual.

But it has been an awakening for me as a white poster with a very long established relationship both with black friends, and black partners, that despite 40 odd years interconnected with the community, I still didn't quite get the black perspective, and now to a greater extent I do. My ears were boxed firmly on a few occasions, and after letting the stars fly away I kinda "got it" more than I did before. Talkshop did that.

I originally joined a few years before I relocated to Grenada to kinda get the feel of how Grenadians think, different cultures different strokes. It has been a useful tool in that respect.

#7 Nov 05, 2019 10:46 pm

New Historian
Active

Expat wrote:

It would be a shame if it dies, but if someone has to pay the bills is it fair that it is so under used.

Personally I loath facebook with a passion, I quite, and then because a specific interest had a presence I rejoined..... but have no "friends" apart from the specific interest group.... I think all this multiple add a friend thing with people you have no clue as to who they are is pretty pathetic. I do not as some I know, Macco what people who do not have the sense to keep their business off the www. I certainly do not care what they are eating, as seems to be popular.

Do I want to say the world in 26 characters, or what ever twitter limit is, do I want followers.... No. It's the ultimate in sadness.

To joust with friends either I actually know, or at least have become acquainted with in text over the years, and the exchange of information is what Talkshop has been for me, a playful arena, where sometimes we get hot under the collar, but a glass of ice water down the neck soon cools us down.

I think we lost something when the old format had to go, but I still do not understand why there are so many lurkers who have NOTHING to add to the party.

Where have all the vitriolic posters gone, I know we can't keep running round in circles with the same old same old topics, and Trump can't fulfil us for long, he is after all a very vacuous individual.

But it has been an awakening for me as a white poster with a very long established relationship both with black friends, and black partners, that despite 40 odd years interconnected with the community, I still didn't quite get the black perspective, and now to a greater extent I do. My ears were boxed firmly on a few occasions, and after letting the stars fly away I kinda "got it" more than I did before. Talkshop did that.

I originally joined a few years before I relocated to Grenada to kinda get the feel of how Grenadians think, different cultures different strokes. It has been a useful tool in that respect.

Well said sir

#8 Nov 05, 2019 11:17 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I don't post as much as I used to.  I just don't have as much to say these days.  I don't like to be lied to so I try not to follow politics.  Hell, those of us still here have discussed every topic over the years. 

It's a shame that the Internet gave up on wild west sites like this one and moved to the walled gardens of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, whatever.  This is so much cleaner.  So much safer.  So much better.

Still, I don't know.  My wife and I have been together for decades and sometimes we just run out of things to say.  It's like that here with you folks.

Like everything else, the good times come and go.  I am nostalgic for how things used to be.

#9 Nov 05, 2019 11:41 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I don't post as much as I used to.  I just don't have as much to say these days.  I don't like to be lied to so I try not to follow politics.  Hell, those of us still here have discussed every topic over the years. 

It's a shame that the Internet gave up on wild west sites like this one and moved to the walled gardens of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, whatever.  This is so much cleaner.  So much safer.  So much better.

Still, I don't know.  My wife and I have been together for decades and sometimes we just run out of things to say.  It's like that here with you folks.

Like everything else, the good times come and go.  I am nostalgic for how things used to be.

Grab D@Man and Muslim by their respective collars and frog march them to their keyboards.

#10 Nov 06, 2019 9:44 am

New Historian
Active

Expat wrote:
Real Distwalker wrote:

Grab D@Man and Muslim by their respective collars and frog march them to their keyboards.

Now that would liven up de place!! Not forgetting Don. When I think: I first joined way back when I was living in Washington DC, 20-something years ago! Then I moved to Africa and had some great mock-battles with the back-to-Africa crowd, some of which I kept. I certainly miss the Shop of old, discussion and intellectual argument stirs the blood!

Don:

Q:    When you say that Zanu-PF share the land amoung themselves..are you talking about sharing amoung the thousands who were engaged in COMBAT against the white settler regime..or are you speaking of a narrower group of people?

A:    It’s a narrow range – many of whom “fought” in far-off places, such as Dr Hitler (his self-appointed nom de guerre) Hunzvi, the leader of the war vets, who died of “unspecified causes” last year and was declared a national hero, much to the disgust of the survivors of his reign of terror in the rural areas. Besides, the war vets were supposed to have fought to liberate the whole country, not just themselves. Since the last election, the grab has continued, with leading government figures foremost among the beneficiaries. The real war vets are getting a bad name, becasue of the opportunists - many of whom are "born-frees" ie, too young to have ever seen combat.

Q:    If the land re settlement policies of Mugabe was deemed inadequate...is the plans he has today go beyond that?

A:    ZANU have no plans, except the one for survival. The country is bankrupt.

Q:    What is the policy of the opposition in respects to the land question? Did the esteemed opposition leader fought in the struggle for independence?

A:    One of the problems in Zimbabwe is the weakness of the opposition. Morgan Tsvangirai has not impressed with his political acumen. He has fallen into simple traps, and has not distanced himself from the white minority, who, naturally, are soft-pedalling land reform. But that’s the nature of the animal. MT is a trade unionist (who did not fight – but then again, nor did a lot of the ZANU elite), without the benefit of a long education – political or otherwise. The MDC as a party is less than 2 years old. Compared to ZANU, they are babes in the wood.

Q:    What does the rank and file man on the street thinks..both in the urban and the outer areas?

A:    Certainly the urban man in the street doesn’t care too muych about the land issue – he has more pressing needs, like a job, 120% inflation, finding food, etc. As for the rural “person in the veld” (being gender and geography-correct), the conventional wisdom is that they are land-hungry, “landless peasants”, who will do anything for land. True, but… with the current hard times, a lot of people would simply prefer a good job, on whoever’s farm, rather than try and do it alone. Agriculture is not a panacea for every economic ill affecting a country. It ain’t easy at all.

Q:    ..and lastly Historian..how do you think the land issue should be dealt with?

A:    Most people in Zimbabwe recognise the need for land reform: they also recognise that it has to take place in a legal environment so that the new landowners have tenure and cannot be forced to give it up if they have differences of opinion with whoever is in government. You can’t just throw people on a piece of land and say: go farm. Its not that easy. You’ve got to provide support, as well as fixed tenure. And before you take land out of productive (albeit white) cultivation, make sure the new owners can “step up to the plate”, otherwise agricultural – FOOD – production will plummet. This is exactly what is happening in Zim now. There is a shortfall of 700,000 tons of grains this year. And lets put it bluntly, people will starve – are doing so already. Malawi, who traditionally get their grain from Zim’s overload, is now facing rural starvation. The pictures are heart-rending, Somalia all over again. And its not because of the drought. Of course, its not the elites who feel it, it’s the masses. You should see the queue for mealie-meal, the staple diet. People queue, patiently, for DAYS, and still don’t get. One thing I can say: Zimbabweans have the patience of Job – in the Windies, we woulda bun dung de place long ago! What gets me, is that ZANU have hijacked the land reform process, and used it for political ends.

Board footer