You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Nov 10, 2019 5:56 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: I know you say GMO crops are increasing yields in your area

The US grew 366 million metric tons of corn last year.  Far more than any nation. Probably a million times more corn that Kuwait.  Do you see the problem there?

#12 Nov 10, 2019 6:16 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

The US grew 366 million metric tons of corn last year.  Far more than any nation. Probably a million times more corn that Kuwait.  Do you see the problem there?

Yes, you have more land draining poison into the Oceans via small and great rivers. So we all will pay the piper for the tune being played.

#13 Nov 10, 2019 6:28 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Then say that you hate GMO.  Don't come up with some retarded fiction about yields by comparing yield from a single garden plot of corn to millions of acres of production.

#14 Nov 11, 2019 10:38 am

Slice
Active

I have two minds about GMO. Everyone in the Caribbean favorite Mangoe is Julie.  That mango is GMO. I also believe that some types of Bananas are also GMO.  It has been years now these fruits are GMO and I don't know of any illness coming from these GMOs.  To me they are safe to eat; but I do not about eating meat and corn that are GMO.  For now ah staying away from them; the reason I buy organic.  I do dine out and I know I eat veggies, that might be GMO.  I do not eat meat whenever I dine out.

#15 Nov 11, 2019 3:39 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

The vast majority of GMO corn isn't for human consumption.  It is for fuel and animal feed.  It is generally corn that was implanted with genes from other plants that makes the corn stalk toxic to corn borer worms.

This is the problem with environmentalists: You can't win.  They want farmers to stop using pesticides so they find another solution. In this case, the plant is embedded with a naturally occurring soil bacterium that is harmless to mammals, reptiles, birds and amphibians.  It does however, kill corn borers.  Less insecticide needed.

This, however, doesn't satisfy them.  No solution will.  They are either ignorant, paranoid or just anti-human.

#16 Nov 11, 2019 3:48 pm

Slice
Active

Coming to the market soon is GMO tomatoes, but my understanding of the way it will be modified is with something from Bell peppers. The Bell peppers has longer shelf life, than tomatoes.  As they say, ah bunch of folks do not understand the process of GMO, so they tink it is all bad.  Having said dat, given ah choice, I would stay away from some GMOs products.

#17 Nov 11, 2019 3:52 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

You probably eat GMO food every single day.  You would have to be hyper-vigilant to avoid it.

#18 Nov 11, 2019 7:55 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Then say that you hate GMO.  Don't come up with some retarded fiction about yields by comparing yield from a single garden plot of corn to millions of acres of production.

It's not MY fiction, it comes from reasonably sensible sources, just as you might think yours does, except your sources are in the pockets of the producers of these products.... just a little bias.

Were GMO products as the snow fairy would tell us just a little teeny weenie speeding up of natural selection, then I might be less concerned, but it for the most part isn't, and with the crass use of pesticides that Monsanto has thrust upon and blackmailed some parts of the World to follow, for a crop altered to tolerate a pesticides they didn't have what they thought was enough sales, I am pretty disgusted with the whole scenario.

#19 Nov 11, 2019 8:04 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

You probably eat GMO food every single day.  You would have to be hyper-vigilant to avoid it.

Unless you live in Europe where the intrusions into farming and foods from these aberrations are fortunately small.

Of course Britain is about to be force fed American crap after Boris signs up to the latest Trump agenda. Gain your independence from Europe where food is relatively wholesome, and get as much bleach drenched chicken as you can swallow.

Living in an American sub state in Grenada it is extremely difficult to find a variety of food which complements my health issues, luckily we do still get some foods... not always actually healthy as such, but at least not plumped to the eyeballs in HFCS, and GMO's.

I might do better if I ate more Local foods, but while I eat some local dishes I aint going to change nearly 70 odd years of a fairly balanced diet to a starch rich diet, no thank you. The hospital cuts off enough legs without adding mine.

#20 Nov 11, 2019 11:20 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

It's not MY fiction, it comes from reasonably sensible sources, just as you might think yours does, except your sources are in the pockets of the producers of these products.... just a little bias.

Bullshit.  My family farms thousands of acres of corn. I know for a fact what yields are and they are higher than any on your list except Kuwait and UAE which is a damned laugh.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Nov 11, 2019 11:21 pm)

Board footer