You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Nov 13, 2019 12:12 pm

Dancer
Active

VENICE FLOODED

The City of canals , on a lagoon , having more water than usual.
Now , as far as I can see , the writing was  on the wall for Venice for quite a while.
I mean ,  on a lagoon ?
Now , climate change and a small Tsunami is hurrying the process.
Sorry romantics.
The way of the world.
hehehe.

...... ' stealing the weatherman Expat thunder '      ...... REALLY  ??

I noticed  he never said a word about the passing of the Tropical wave a couple of days ago  that brought tons of rain , lashing some islands . .........   sad, sad.
" can't get good help these day at all  , at all  ."
lord !

#2 Nov 13, 2019 3:14 pm

Expat
Active

Re: VENICE FLOODED

Dancer wrote:

The City of canals , on a lagoon , having more water than usual.
Now , as far as I can see , the writing was  on the wall for Venice for quite a while.
I mean ,  on a lagoon ?
Now , climate change and a small Tsunami is hurrying the process.
Sorry romantics.
The way of the world.
hehehe.

...... ' stealing the weatherman Expat thunder '      ...... REALLY  ??

I noticed  he never said a word about the passing of the Tropical wave a couple of days ago  that brought tons of rain , lashing some islands . .........   sad, sad.
" can't get good help these day at all  , at all  ."
lord !

Tropical wave, lashing?

Venice has flooded before, but with the climate change that apparently we can do nothing to alleviate according to our weather guru, I guess Venice is stuffed, along with many many low lying island.... even St Georges is probably only 10 years away from regular flooding, unless they build up the careenage quick smart, and raise the drainage outlets to suit.

#3 Nov 13, 2019 3:52 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

If you can fix the climate do it.  I will admit I was wrong when you do.

#4 Nov 13, 2019 3:55 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

The water in Venice was higher in 1966 but somehow we know that, this time, it was caused by SUVs.

#5 Nov 13, 2019 4:16 pm

New Historian
Active

4 of the 6 times that Venice has flooded have been within the last 25 years

#6 Nov 13, 2019 7:10 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

If you can fix the climate do it.  I will admit I was wrong when you do.

Mea Culpa ad infinitum, I know as a consumer, I have consumed and encouraged manufacturers to manufacture, sometimes from America, sometimes from India, sometimes from China, Britain, Thailand etc. creating must have products I could easily have survived without for the most part, I have wasted thousands of gallons of fuel on trivial journeys many of which I could have forsaken.

Much of this self indulgence has added to the various pollutions that are now wrapping our atmosphere, I have as most of us have injected combustion gases straight into high level atmosphere when I have made my annual visits. I have sinned.

There, that wasn't too hard.

What is needed now is simply on a personal level maybe just a little more though with how we manage our business. Despite your apparent asinine Trumpist outlook, when questioned.... whether for personal savings or comfort you already seem to do many of the things we should be encouraged to do, as in insulating properties, and I think you said geothermal heating/hot water.... not too many people can say that.

Maybe what you are saying is you have already done your fair share of World saving, and now it's down to others?

Certainly Governments can encourage/ enforce beneficial programs for the climate.  Unlike Trump who wants to invigorate the coal industry for limited financial gain, and very small jobs benefit.

The writing was on the wall 20 or more years ago, but the we can't make a difference brigade held sway, and now, maybe we can't?  But its worth a try just to give the next generation a fighting chance.

We as individuals very small impact, but either as 50 billion occupiers of the World each doing a tiny smidgen then maybe that will add up, or if WE encourage businesses to be responsible weekly climactic catastrophes wont be the norm.

#7 Nov 13, 2019 8:42 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

4 of the 6 times that Venice has flooded have been within the last 25 years

Venice floods all the time.  I took this photo myself.

IMGP1458.jpg

Read up on it here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acqua_alta

Furthermore, Venice is sinking and has been since its founding.

https://www.livescience.com/19195-venic … lowly.html

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Nov 13, 2019 8:48 pm)

#8 Nov 13, 2019 8:47 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Look Expat, I have a ground source heat pump for heating and cooling.  That's the most efficient there is.  I spent several tens of thousands of dollars insulating my house to make it efficient.  Our farm is largely solar powered.  Iowa has the highest percentage of its power from wind as any state.  We engage in no-till farming to preserve the soil.  We use bio-diesel in our equipment.

It won't matter a lick.  The rest of the world is going to keep on doing what they do.  The climate is going to do what the climate is going to do and there isn't a damned thing I can do about it.

#9 Nov 14, 2019 4:03 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Look Expat, I have a ground source heat pump for heating and cooling.  That's the most efficient there is.  I spent several tens of thousands of dollars insulating my house to make it efficient.  Our farm is largely solar powered.  Iowa has the highest percentage of its power from wind as any state.  We engage in no-till farming to preserve the soil.  We use bio-diesel in our equipment.

It won't matter a lick.  The rest of the world is going to keep on doing what they do.  The climate is going to do what the climate is going to do and there isn't a damned thing I can do about it.

Maybe you missed this?

>>Maybe what you are saying is you have already done your fair share of World saving, and now it's down to others?

#10 Nov 14, 2019 5:32 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I haven't done any world saving because nothing I have done will have even the slightest effect on the climate.

Board footer