You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Nov 15, 2019 8:08 am

Expat
Active

Re: VENICE FLOODED

An alternate belief system.

You have done almost everything most people concerned with climate change could ask. Most of us... even those concerned about the issue will not have done so much.

You may have done all these things just because you can, or because it made economic sense, or ?

Regardless, the belief differences are that individuals cannot make a difference as is your view, and mine is you can to SOME degree slow down or had we acted a LOT earlier possibly stay away from the tipping point.

Your approach makes the inevitable inevitable, mine may make no difference, or more likely will. individuals ,governments, PRESIDENTS, and industry could all cause a slow down to armaggedon. Doing nothing guarantees that in a 100 years World climate and economies, and populations will be is severe distress.

And no YOU alone cannot make the sea go back, you are right, but you are one of many.

#12 Nov 17, 2019 3:07 pm

New Historian
Active

"In the last 2 weeks Venice has experienced 3 of the 10 worst floods, since records began". But this is entirely normal, right?

#13 Nov 17, 2019 4:03 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

If Venice is sinking - and it is - it is entirely normal and to be expected that flooding will get continuously worse.

#14 Nov 17, 2019 4:04 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

If sea levels have been rising for the last 15,000 years - and they have been -  it is entirely normal and to be expected that flooding will get continuously worse.

#15 Nov 17, 2019 4:05 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

...and it still isn't the worst flood ever.  That was 53 years ago.

#16 Nov 17, 2019 9:51 pm

Expat
Active

As usual your statements are too convenient.

Sure post glacier the levels rose, but they have been pretty static for most of man's period of making any impact until.... VERY RECENTLY

For 24000 years until nowish. https://serc.carleton.edu/integrate/tea … erials/907

For 2000 years the levels have meandered up and down, and only in the last 150 years has the spurt to elevated levels begun... and with all the research on the polar caps and glaciers we can be pretty assured will continue, especially as the permafrost in Siberia melts, and the North pole disappears reducing the heat reflection by the ice.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/ar … el-change/

You can be in denial all you like, but as you already accept we are cattled, but what you just don't seem to be able to accept is that YOU are not the only person on the planet, and if the others did their little bit, and if we found more efficient ways to do things apart from scaping coal and oil out of the ground, then we might be able to put the brakes on.

Had the deniers paid more attention 50 years ago maybe we wouldn't be where we are now.

Yes it might only take one volcano to skew the whole thing, but until that happens lets keep humans in check.

Last edited by Expat (Nov 17, 2019 9:56 pm)

#17 Nov 17, 2019 10:09 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Was the huge, hundreds of feet increase in sea levels that occurred starting 15,000 years ago caused by man too?

Think about that.  In just a few thousand years sea levels increased more than 400 feet and you want me to believe that a few inches is unprecedented.

holocene-sealevel-curve-showing-14732646981192120022-744.jpg

#18 Nov 17, 2019 10:23 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Think about that.  Sea levels rose an inch every 15 months for 4,000 years straight.  The alarmists tell us it has risen 5-8 inches since 1900.  Let's say it is the high end, 8 inches.  That is the same as one inch every 180 months. 

When man was a handful of hunter gathers, for 4,000 year sea levels were increasing at a rate of 1,200% of what they have increased since 1900.  If you will excuse me, I am not going to panic.

Even the most alarmist figures want us to believe that sea levels have risen 3 inches in the last 20 years.  Even if that wild ass number is true, that is one inch every 80 months.  That means for 4,000 years in a row, sea levels were rising at 530% of the rate they did over the last 20 years.

Again, I am going to hold my panic.

#19 Nov 18, 2019 11:10 pm

Expat
Active

So, for almost the entire period man had frick all to do with it, even when he might have had an effect, say 10,000 years ago when agriculture got under way with the population of the Earth at that time so tiny the changes created by man were miniscule. Unlike now when India's population grows by 400,000 every day.

And yes we have even had mini ice ages.... wasn't that as a result of a volcano?

Since the Industrial revolution C02 levels and all other indicators show us the trend is going the wrong way. I know news is more instant now, but every week it's a major flood, or massive cyclone, biggest worst tornado's, or raging fires that swallow football pitches every 2 minutes, glaciers melting, Greenlands ice shrinking, Russia's permafrost melting, the Antarctica shelving at higher rates.

Oh well lets just have another Bud and put our heads in a bucket of sand.

Mostly due to us many many species of animal are endangered either because of Palm Oil, or Beef production, or you name which ever cause takes your fancy. We are like a plague to this Earth.

#20 Nov 19, 2019 1:09 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I wish we had news reports from 8,000 years ago.  It would have been ten times as many climate crisis stories as we see today.  They would have been in full-on panic mode over a climate that was changing an order of magnitude faster than it is today.

Board footer