You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Nov 20, 2019 2:54 pm

New Historian
Active

Our father's fast cars

Our father loved fast, stylish cars, and between Grenada, Guyana and Trinidad he had quite a few:

MG Y Saloon: This had the unique feature of four built-in hydraulic jacks at each corner, so you could jack up the entire car and remove all the wheels simultaneously. Somehow this car ended up in the Carenage, I think alcohol was involved! Our father’s best friend Uncle Linton had identical model. It had “suicide doors” on the front, that opened the wrong way – don’t open it while driving!

Morris Oxford MO: A big brute, with a gear stick on the steering column.

Vauxhaul Wyvern: Best thing about this car was the Griffin on the bonnet.

MG Magnette ZA: With a flat rear window

MG Magnette ZB: With a curved back window and varitone colours.

Standard Ten: After the Magnette, Dad’s Standard Ten was a huge disappointment, which we kids christened the Standard Penny – we had high standards!

#2 Nov 20, 2019 5:05 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Our father's fast cars

As a callow youth my beginnings were much more humble.
First car was a rust box of a Vauxhall Victor, I think it was only around 6 years old but shouldn't have been on the road. Then an old Morris Minor 803 with a split windscreen, cruise all day at 60, with a top speed of 65. Wow. A Ford Prefect, not the sit up and beg type. Ford Anglia Van with seat conversion. Triumph Vitesse 2 ltr, Ford Cortina Mk3, Triumph 2500, Ford Scorpio. After that company cars Lexus LS400-430 models.  Now as Slice will know a tired but low mileage Rav4... Grenada roads are killers.

There might be a couple of extra cars in there I can't think of, plus some bikes and scooters.

As for driving but not owning, literally hundreds, from Ford GT40, AC Cobra, Daimler Dart, Sunbeam something, Mini's, Triumph Dolomite Sprint, Ford Zodiacs, Ford Granada, Reliants... the sports car,Old American Fors, Loads and loads, no way to remember them all, E types, Daimler Sovereign, Wolseley 4R, VWs, and Saabs, Transits, Bedford vans, Trucks, a whole range of single and double decker buses, even a Grenada Auxiliary Coast Guard launch.

#3 Nov 20, 2019 7:29 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

This is me with my first car in 1979. 

If you look closely, you will notice something isn't right about my left leg.  I was wearing a plaster cast from my nuts to my toes. Mom cut out the seam in my jeans so the cast would fit.  I had been hit by a car and broke my femur and was in traction for a month and in the cast for six months.  The settlement with the driver is how I got the $1,100 I spent on the car.

In is a 1973 Chevelle Malibu.  350cc engine, automatic transmission with an after market 8 Track player.

scan0002.jpg

#4 Nov 20, 2019 8:17 pm

New Historian
Active

Think you mean a 350 cubic inch engine not cc? Busted femur? Wow a big time break, my son did that 3 years ago, was lucky we saved the leg. 8-tracks: the biggest technology dud, thank god had a short shelf life!

My first owned motor was a Fiat 124 Special, lovely exhaust that sounded like a low flying jet but cantankerous and unreliable. Then I had just bikes until I got married (duh), and got a '67 Austin Cambridge called The Cruiser, great old motor: slow, comfortable and rock solid!

Worst car ever? A brand-new Mitsubishi Galant, thing was made of tin and nearly killed me when it flipped over and the roof caved in, breaking my collarbone and trapping me upside-down in my seat. When the engine went: whoomp!

#5 Nov 20, 2019 9:23 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Of course. Duh.  A 350 cubic inch, 8 cylinder gas hog.  I am just so used to saying cc these days.

#6 Nov 21, 2019 9:38 am

Dancer
Active

I guess no one in this post had a Raleigh  or  Rudge  . Probably never heard of those wheels.  SMH.
2 leg man power  could reach 30-60 mph  on a hill .
Took me to  high  school , many a day.
lol.

#7 Nov 21, 2019 1:12 pm

Expat
Active

Not sure having an itch leg or maybe even other bits for 6 months plus pain and inconvenience would be an option I would take to get a car. I appreciate it wasn't actually a choice...  smile

I knew of Raleigh and Rudges, but had a racing (anonymous) hand painted by me, bicycle for a while, which I lived on for a couple of years.  Deep track drop handles, and a nut cracking Brooks racing saddle raised almost to the stratosphere. So my back was basically parallel with the road. I should have ended my time on that thing with some of the stunts I pulled.

Playing chicken against myself peddling flat out down Richmond Hill, and then freewheeling round a couple of bends at the bottom, for Anglophiles one was where Tommy Steel lived. I couldn't pedal on the bends as the bike was laid over so far. The last time I was that stupid I ended up almost horizontal on the other side of the road with the wheels bouncing on the kerb before I pulled myself back onto my side of the road. If a car or lorry had been coming the other way... curtains for sure. And yes, I have overtaken cars on a duel carriageway going down hill to the surprise of the drivers.

Last edited by Expat (Nov 21, 2019 1:13 pm)

#8 Nov 21, 2019 2:54 pm

New Historian
Active

For the last 20 years I haven't bought a car-car, always a SUV. I love Mitsububishi Pajeros, have had 4 of them. My son wrote off one (the week after he got his licence!) in Zimbabwe, it rolled over and took out a lamp post, how none of those kids in the car were seriously hurt I'll never know. Having boats in Grenada made it essential to have an engine with grunt, plus plenty of space. Hate hate diesels, never again! Twice I've had diesel engines seize up on me, bad karma.

For our latest, SWMBO insisted on a Nissan Patrol, and you know what they say: you can win the argument, or .... Nice civilized car and all that, but it's a play-play SUV, no cojones.

#9 Nov 21, 2019 4:03 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

Not sure having an itch leg or maybe even other bits for 6 months plus pain and inconvenience would be an option I would take to get a car. I appreciate it wasn't actually a choice...  smile

Definitely not worth it! The leg still bothers me from time to time 40 years later. But when life gives you lemons, you buy a Chevelle, I guess....

Board footer