You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Nov 22, 2019 7:29 pm

Expat
Active

Slice are you ready for this?

While SWMBO was away I smashed the central concrete counter top as it was suffering from expanding ironwork and simply poor manufacture.

The project started towards the beginning of June, and was ready for the Joiner to take measurements, and cart away stuff for refurbishment around the 2nd week.

I re-tiled the counter with black porcelain tiles, and waited on the timber edging to finish it plus the resprayed cabinet and sundry doors which were mahogany and made by the joiner in the first place.

We are now over half way through November the Dining table that was due a sanding and a respray, and one of the chairs taken have not been finished, the doors have ..... after bullying by me been returned, and are in worse shape than they left looking like the were brush painted, and I have only just had the initial fitting of the counter edging, while the part that the bottom cupboard close against are not fitted, it is too long and complicated to explain the whole debacle, but what was meant to be a nice surprise for wifey has turned into a long drawn out torment where we have clutter all over the place as it can't sensibly be put back into the units.

In short a disaster where the Joiner does his own thing says no mr expat I'll fix it don't worry, and probably builds a load of stuff for Courts and just blows me off.

I am actually going to have to sand down ALL the cupboard doors and refinish them myself.... I only gave him the work as I had more than enough other work to do.

So Slicey, ready for every day life in Grenada?

#2 Nov 23, 2019 8:08 am

Slice
Active

Re: Slice are you ready for this?

I think your exact words to me sometime ago was," Slice boy it is either you join them or they go kill you". Me ent ah handy person, so God bless you. You can do stuff for yourself.  I am always at the mercy of allyu Grenadian.  Ah join dem, because I ent ready to dead yet.

#3 Nov 23, 2019 9:01 am

New Historian
Active

For my sins, I'm planning to build a house on me land when I come back next year. God. Help. Me.

#4 Nov 23, 2019 3:45 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

For my sins, I'm planning to build a house on me land when I come back next year. God. Help. Me.

Watch like a hawk, do not trust, and keep everything bolted down with triple padlocks.  Even watch how they use lumber and materials, as probably they will want to use yours (from away) to help build another house.

Also do not let the Bank... you know they don't care about you.... let the project rush. They build too fast, and put load on the sub structure too quickly, so 5-10 years down the road your house settles and cracks, but the bank don't care and the builder is long gone.

Also number one continuous balls up they do is to use red hot blocks standing in the midday sun dry and hot. End result it pulls the guts out of the mortar, so with a small earthquake you get cracks around your windows and doors. Blocks should be cool and damp before putting up. Hosed down. They wont want to do it because it makes the mortar harder to use compared to what they are used to. Do not use local crushed gravel its shite, reinforce with steel up through the blocks, TIE down the roof with proper hurricane fittings.

Better yet, rent, and let it be someone else's problem.

#5 Nov 23, 2019 7:55 pm

New Historian
Active

Thanks mate, I'll hire you as  my major domo!!

Been pissing money away too long on rent, time to build "my house to die in" lol!

#6 Nov 23, 2019 10:23 pm

Expat
Active

In the UK I would continue to go with buying, or building. Now depending on your indifference to money going up in smoke either because of depreciation, or self destruction due to the affor saaid piss poor workmanship, I personally would think long and hard about building, thats just me, I can't tell others what to do.

However in the UK, properties generally last, and even older model houses sell, whereas often times unless it is in a location where rich or foreign people might buy you are building for you, as the style of today is not fashionable tomorrow in this country. Plus everybody has "lands" so locals unless returnees are unlikely to buy your dream house when you die, so it is concrete waiting to meet the bulldozer.

I suspect my modest property will end up as a rental  for one or other member of the extended family.Until maintenance forces the bulldozer to bring it down.

#7 Nov 24, 2019 9:33 am

New Historian
Active

Gawnbennet you're a chirpy chap aren't you? Well between now and death and the bulldozer I've got to live somewhere and I'm tired of penny-pinching landlords and spunking moolah away on rent, so it's either build or buy.

#8 Nov 24, 2019 11:19 am

Dancer
Active

Some serious ' give it a think idea '    New Historian ..... Could be the best of both worlds.

Look for a place that the locals  'pass up  ' , for being  too old , out of the way ,  and  buy (  keeping it simple     ....  renovate. )
You might enjoy ,  have a ball  , putting it together.
New windows etc and Shit. Lo

speaking from experience.  A good option to look at.

Last edited by Dancer (Nov 24, 2019 11:20 am)

#9 Nov 24, 2019 12:01 pm

New Historian
Active

Thanks for all the advice guys, appreciated. The "trouble" is I already have a nice piece of land on a breezy ridge in St Davids with nice views on both sides. It was given to me by my grandpappy and has sentimental as well as actual value. I have very simple needs, no "dream home" necessary: big, wide wraparound verandah, big windows, open spaces and a practical kitchen/dining room, the heart of a house. Two bedrooms and a study, boom. Planning to hire a builder but I'll look after the money part, and a steel 40' container on site with a big ass padlock on it! There's so many horror stories about Grenadian builders ....

#10 Nov 24, 2019 5:22 pm

Expat
Active

NOOoooooo NOT St Davids Parish..... NOooooo  TOO close.

Board footer