You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Dec 03, 2019 11:44 am

New Historian
Active

Re: My Favourite Shitholes: What makes a country "great"?

"At the end of the day" I don't necessarily like living in Grenada because I'm a Grenadian - for the majority of my life I didn't have anything to do with Grenada. If I was 30 years old Grenada wouldn't have the same allure as it does now that I'm in the (early!) "evening of my days". Like I say: Grenada is a great place to grow up, and to grow old, but in those middle years you've got to get away, it's too small and too boring lol!

#12 Dec 03, 2019 12:06 pm

New Historian
Active

FYI:

Rankings-1.jpg

#13 Dec 03, 2019 12:52 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I see your table and I get it and respect it.  You version of "USA" is where you lived in the USA.  Still, you could find a place in the US to get a ten on almost any of those categories. (Not all at once, however.)

Nature/Beauty: Hawaii, Yellowstone, Alaska = 10
Culture: Santa Fe, New Orleans, New York, Hawaii = 10
Food: New Orleans, Chicago, New York = 10
Pollution: Northern Wisconsin, Black Hills, Smokey Mountains = 10
Weather: Monterrey Peninsula, Hawaii = 10
Things to do: Chicago, San Francisco, Denver = 10
Nightlife: New Orleans, Las Vegas, New York = 10
Friendliness: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa = 10
Crime: Maine, Iowa, Montana = 10
Police: Seattle, Salt Lake City = 10
Availability of goods: All USA = 10
Cost of living: Texas, Iowa = 10
Education: Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin = 10
Economy Incomes: Utah, Wyoming = 10
Infrastructure: Many places  = 10
Race Relations: Portland = 10
Crowdewdness: Traffic: North Dakota, Wyoming, Alaska = 10
Government: If you are talking about the federal government, I don't think this is a 10 anywhere.
Indigenous Aesthetics: New Mexico, Hawaii = 10
Wildlife: Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, Idaho = 10

#14 Dec 03, 2019 1:03 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Midwest friendliness... This crack me up.  Yes it is over the top but stereotypes often exist for a reason and this is not too far over the top.  Check it out.  It is funny as hell.

https://youtu.be/AHISDsmSsDg

#15 Dec 03, 2019 2:00 pm

New Historian
Active

Police: Seattle, Salt Lake City = 10

What's so good about those cops?

#17 Dec 03, 2019 2:31 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

In what heavenly place are cops angels?  Maybe there is no such thing as anything over 5 for cops.

#18 Dec 03, 2019 2:37 pm

New Historian
Active

Infrastructure: Many places  = 10

I would dispute this; it is shocking to me to see how bad and antiquated USA's infrastructure has become, lack of investment over the past decades is beginning to show. Last year I went to take a train in Fla and I couldn't believe my eyes when the thing rolled up - it was ancient! I said "went to" take a train because no sooner had I boarded than the thing huffed and puffed and died, causing me to take an expensive taxi ride. The electricity grid is hanging on by a thread, pun intended, look at the frequent outages, like what happened in California the other day. Water? Tell that to the people of Flint. Roads and highways are potholed and in need of upgrade.

Whatever happened to the "Trump New Deal" for infrastructure? Oh, silly me.

#20 Dec 03, 2019 2:44 pm

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

In what heavenly place are cops angels?  Maybe there is no such thing as anything over 5 for cops.

Honestly, the Grenadian cops are pretty good, and is not just me says so. I had a laptop stolen and was so pleased with the genuine efforts the police made to retrieve it. A week later they called me and said they had it. They did, same model and everything, but not mine lol!  My brother got burgled, and right away the cops said they knew who did it, local bad boys. Four days later at 4AM they raided said boys and recovered his goods - correct laptop and all.

Okay so that one incident when they beat this guy to death in Grenville police station was a "minor aberration" but no one's perfect LOL!!

Board footer