You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Dec 04, 2019 10:31 pm

Expat
Active

Fancied some pickled beetroot

Maybe I am pregnant?   smile

Anyhooos, it was there on the shelf in IGA, and it beconned to me to buy it.

When I tried it, I thought.... this isn't like the crisp tart stuff I would buy in England, it is soffy, and has a sweetness to it.

Looking on the label, of course, being American in origin it has HFCS as one of the main ingredients. Those bastards are poisoning you guys.  Lets add corn syrup to it to make it taste better so we can sell more.    Sheesh.

#2 Dec 05, 2019 9:37 am

Slice
Active

Re: Fancied some pickled beetroot

Beet is my favorite Veggie.  As ah kid growing up, me grandmuma use to cook Beet and rice and that tasted great.  Beet was the meat.  Pickled Beet Expat? I wont even dream of trying it. I think you bought it just to mess with the Americans.

#3 Dec 05, 2019 10:10 am

New Historian
Active

Expat, when back in Blighty did you ever eat jellied eels or cockles? Oh lord as a kid I suffered under English food, the best part of school dinners were the puddings!

#4 Dec 05, 2019 12:43 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Pickled beets do taste good, that's for sure.  They are only meant to be eaten as garnish, however.  Not in mass quantities.

#5 Dec 05, 2019 6:39 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

Expat, when back in Blighty did you ever eat jellied eels or cockles? Oh lord as a kid I suffered under English food, the best part of school dinners were the puddings!

Never ever have I eaten those gut churning foods. Nope. not me.

I don't know why your elitist schools should have had such dire dinners. Generally speaking I thought the dinners were OK.... perhaps the spam fritters were begging to give you heartburn, but mostly it was OK.... I think they inventes Cadbury's smash from School mashed potatoes... smile

The veal escallops were a favourite.... before I knew the barbarity of getting veal.

#6 Dec 05, 2019 6:49 pm

New Historian
Active

Elitist schools? That's the biggest laugh I've had all day! Sec mod mate that's me, crap schools to a one. My fave dinner was shepherd's pie, fave to this day. Followed by apple crumble and dollops of custard, yum. Worst was Fridays: bland fish and veggies boiled to death. Worst dessert? What the English called "rice" - rice pudding, for a Caribbean this was just half-cooked real rice with sugar - ugh!

Last edited by New Historian (Dec 05, 2019 6:53 pm)

#7 Dec 06, 2019 7:27 am

Expat
Active

Semolina with a dollop of jam, not a favourite. Sponge pud with custard passable, but apple crumble with custard.  Oh yeah.

#8 Dec 06, 2019 8:14 am

Real Distwalker
Active

'Sponge pud with custard passable' sounds like a fictional dish made up for some situation comedy spoofing Brits.

#9 Dec 06, 2019 9:22 am

New Historian
Active

"English" food has changed out of all recognition from those bland days of the sixties, nowadays the most common meal eaten is a chicken curry. Mind you that's in the cities, out there in the shires I'm not so sure, I think they still cling to their pease pudding and steak and kidney pie. When I went to America age 13 what staggered me was the huge quantities of food they ate - staggering! At the University of Michigan I worked in the cafeteria and was dumbfounded by the amount of food the students would load onto their plates - and then throw half of it away! Little has changed.

#10 Dec 06, 2019 3:13 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Brits try Caribbean food...

https://youtu.be/CQd5Ieprung

Board footer