You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Dec 05, 2019 9:26 am

New Historian
Active

The disgusting catholic church

Strikes again. When will the world wake up to the institutional charade that is called the catholic church? If you put men in unnatural situations where they must deny themselves the comforts - nay needs - of emotional and physical love and support, what do you think is going to happen?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canad … arBMpPz8aA

#2 Dec 05, 2019 9:44 am

Slice
Active

Re: The disgusting catholic church

But not with boys and girls.  Ah doh care what position you put dem in, little boys and girls should not be ah part of their Madness. Ah FRIGGIMG bunch of sick puppies.  They all should be castrated.  I am Catholic and ah doh go to church, but religion is the worst thing that ever happened to mankind.  They are all the same.

Was watching a show about them clerics in Iraq, and dem clerics and them are pimps.  The crazy thing was them women had to married for ah day before they sell their bodies.  Did I see that here or on TV, doh remember.

#3 Dec 05, 2019 10:18 am

New Historian
Active

"I am Catholic and ah doh go to church, but religion is the worst thing that ever happened to mankind."

So, you're not a Catholic then, you're a lapsed catholic, in other words a free thinker. Most of us went through that church indoctrination as kids, where they drummed (and in many cases, like mine, beat) it into your head all that religious mumbo-jumbo. I remember my moment of enlightenment, when I read that ground breaking book "The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail", which went on to be the backbone of that film The Da Vinci Code. Still have my dogeared hardback.

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds"

#4 Dec 05, 2019 12:35 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

They are absolutely, positively NOT "all the same."

#5 Dec 05, 2019 12:40 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

My version of the faith is summarized in Galatians 5:13-15

You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

By "indulge the flesh" they are talking about circumcision which was part of Old Testament law.  Paul is saying that law is dead.  In fact all the old law is dead but one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

That's the message my church promotes.

What is wrong with that?

#6 Dec 05, 2019 2:32 pm

New Historian
Active

Nothing wrong with that. What's wrong with this:

“If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives.” (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death. (Leviticus 20:10 NLT)

A priest’s daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death. (Leviticus 21:9 NAB)

#7 Dec 05, 2019 3:22 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

In Galatians Paul is specifically telling us that none of the shit in Leviticus applies to Christians. None of it. 

Furthermore, he says that if you cling to one part of the old law, you must obey all of it.  Therefore if you insist on the parts you quoted above, you damned well better be circumcised, you better not eat pork, you had better let your forelocks grow, etc.

The Old Testament is dead.

Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law.  You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.

That's what happens if you follow the shit in Leviticus you quoted.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Dec 05, 2019 3:27 pm)

#8 Dec 05, 2019 3:29 pm

New Historian
Active

So you're cherry-picking then, some parts of the bible are "the word of god", but others are BS? So who's to decide then? You're telling me that in one verse god is all-seeing and all-wise, and in another verse he doesn't know his arse from his elbow. It don't work that way.

#9 Dec 05, 2019 3:41 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

No, I am rejecting the Old Testament law because it was invalidated by the New Covenant of Christ.  Frankly, it was a mistake to include the Old Testament in the Christian faith at all.  The reality, however, is that a lot of pagan religions were incorporated like Christmas trees, Easter eggs, etc.

As for who is to decide?  The Apostle Paul is good enough for me.

I am not cherry picking, but even if I was, what of it?  Are you making the case that I must accept every bit of all flavors of Christianity or reject it all?   That's absurd.

#10 Dec 05, 2019 3:46 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Or maybe you are just frustrated that my version of the Christian faith is about grace and love and inclusion and you can't tar and feather me with invalid, 3,000 year old rabbinical law?

Board footer