You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Dec 05, 2019 3:49 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: The disgusting catholic church

So this is from the "good" part of the bible, right?

"But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell."  (Matthew 5:28-30)

#12 Dec 05, 2019 3:56 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

From the Sermon on the Mount.  Clearly this was hyperbole and not to be taken literally. It was an extreme example of the threat sin presents.  Christ never said anything this extreme anywhere else in the Gospels and you don't see it in contemporary literature.

No Christian anywhere is above lusting in his heart and none anywhere pluck out their right eye?  Why?  It is hyperbole.

#13 Dec 05, 2019 3:58 pm

New Historian
Active

Make up your mind dude, this constant cherry-picking devalues the whole "word of god" thing: either it is, or it isn't, it isn't up to us mere mortals to say when god was serious and when he was just taking the piss.

#14 Dec 05, 2019 4:05 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

See?  This is what you guys do.  You attribute shit to me that isn't accurate.  I have never said that the bible should be read literally.  I have never said that it wasn't full of errors.  I have never said that Christ didn't speak in parables, analogy and hyperbole.

I don't have to make up my mind. dude.  My mind has been made up for a long time.

Here is how this discussion sounds to me: 

RD: "George Orwell's Animal Farm is a brilliant book full of insight and wisdom."
NH: "Man are you dumb.  You think pigs can talk!"
RD: "I never said pigs can talk.  They most certainly cannot."
NH: "Oh!  Cherry picking, huh?  You said Animal Farm is brilliant but you say pigs can't talk.  Hypocrite."
RD: "Nonsense, pigs can't talk but Animal Farm is a brilliant allegory of the Soviet Revolution."
NH: "Make up your mind dude.  This cherry picking what is real and what isn't real devalues Orwell's stupid book!"
RD: "No it doesn't!  There are some deep truths to be found about human nature and revolution in that book."
NH: "So you do believe pigs can talk!  LOL"

#15 Dec 05, 2019 4:26 pm

New Historian
Active

Hehehe, I do like sparring with you RD, you're like the inflatable clown (NOT that I'm saying you're a clown!): you always bounce right back up again! I'm not talking about "parables, analogy and hyperbole", I'm talking about sheer nonsense. Sure the bible has incredible wisdom in it, but side-by-side is a whole bunch of 2,000-year old superstition, tosh and bunkum. If you were sick and your doctor pulled out a 2,000 year old medical handbook, I don't think you'd want to take his word, yet you're quite willing to follow the words of ignorant people who thought lightening was a sign from god.

Whereas YOU may be intelligent and educated enough to separate sense from nonsense, the vast majority of "believers" are not: they just follow the "word of god" with the unreason of the dogmatist. Like evolution: so-called intelligent people in your country will go to the Supreme Court to prevent children learning the reality of science and reason. Evangelicals preach the so called word of god, yet follow the most ungodly leader in the history of your country - go figure?

PS: All animals ARE created equal.

Hypocrisy.jpg

#16 Dec 05, 2019 5:14 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Yeah, people are stupid.  Good thing you and I are smart, huh?  big_smile

Board footer