You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Dec 13, 2019 9:22 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Brexit Assured

It looks like any hope of a new referendum is dead.  Britain will exit the EU next month.

#2 Dec 13, 2019 9:36 am

New Historian
Active

Re: Brexit Assured

And future generations will live to regret it. England's economic future just took a huge blow, but they'll see.

#3 Dec 13, 2019 10:28 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Britain always had a separate currency so there is no change there. 

What prevents Britain from negotiating a free trade treaty with the EU that replicates the economic benefits of EU membership without subjecting Brits to civil management by Brussels?  If that can be accomplished, I don't see why the economic future would be bleak.

#4 Dec 13, 2019 11:02 am

New Historian
Active

It's not so much the trade deal that matters, it's the nuts and bolts of trading that counts, the paperwork, the border checks, the cost and hassles of "overseas" trade versus what hitherto was basically domestic trade over a theoretical but invisible border. Have you noticed how many foreign registered trucks there are on UK roads? This is only possible because of the free and easy clearance procedures currently in place. UK Border Control did a trial run under possible new customs checks on goods coming over from Europe, and the result was: gridlock! All it takes is a 10-minute check for each truck and the system becomes totally clogged up and workable.

They'll soon find out.

#5 Dec 13, 2019 11:07 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I should think that could all be managed.  Mexican trucks operate in the US under NAFTA.   All trade between all nations should be as free as possible.  I feel strongly about that.  That said, I wouldn't want the Mexicans or Canadians to have a vote regarding the civil law under which I live.

Because of this, I have mixed feelings about Brexit.  I am sympathetic to the notion that many Brits don't want the civil law under which they live defined by the Germans and French.   I wouldn't wan that either. 

I do see the tremendous value of the EU's free trade provisions.  I hope they can recreate them between the UK and the EU.

#6 Dec 13, 2019 6:51 pm

Expat
Active

It will be Brexit in name only probably for a couple of years while they thrash out terms... baring in mind Europe wants easy movement of people, as is required  from some other non EU affiliated states, add to that issues over fishing rights, we already had a COD war some years ago... and the ability to not cause Ireland not to go back into the "troubles". It is going to take ages for them to do it all despite bonkers Boris's assurances.

While they cannot thrash out a deal no other major trader is going to want to sign up to anything, Britain has been handed a giant jar of vaseline, and it is going to get screwed royally.

It was a middling powerful country whilst part of the EU, but soon it will realise it no longer has an Empire, and it has as much pull as Luxembourg.

What an absolute tragedy they has that pseudo communist Corbyn as the only real choice against Boris. I have been left of centre most of my adult life, and SHOULD be backing Labour, but I would have had to vote for Boris had I the ability as the lesser of the two evils. He Corbyn had an agenda to screw private landlords, and a few other whacky ideas I couldn't face, plus seemingly no back bone. Labour MP's didn't want him, it was the dumb arsed Labour Party root and branch that voted him in.

#7 Dec 14, 2019 12:58 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

I have been left of centre most of my adult life, and SHOULD be backing Labour, but I would have had to vote for Boris had I the ability as the lesser of the two evils.

And now you understand how that shit-bird Trump got elected.  If the Democrats would have run virtually anyone other than the intensely unlikable Hillary Clinton, Trump would have never seen the Oval Office.

#8 Dec 14, 2019 1:43 am

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
Expat wrote:

I have been left of centre most of my adult life, and SHOULD be backing Labour, but I would have had to vote for Boris had I the ability as the lesser of the two evils.

And now you understand how that shit-bird Trump got elected.  If the Democrats would have run virtually anyone other than the intensely unlikable Hillary Clinton, Trump would have never seen the Oval Office.

Bernie would have beaten Trump, but the stupid Dems went with the so-called Clinton dynasty. Die nasty is what. And, they're doing it all over again! Old, fuddy-duddy, rambling Amtrack Joe, recycled for the how many time? Gone are his fiesty working-class charm days, now he's just - old.

#9 Dec 14, 2019 10:56 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I am looking forward to Biden v. Trump.  The contest between two septuagenarian half-wits spewing stream of consciousness will be hilarious.

#10 Dec 14, 2019 6:03 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:
Real Distwalker wrote:
Expat wrote:

Bernie would have beaten Trump, but the stupid Dems went with the so-called Clinton dynasty. Die nasty is what. And, they're doing it all over again! Old, fuddy-duddy, rambling Amtrack Joe, recycled for the how many time? Gone are his fiesty working-class charm days, now he's just - old.

Yeah, but as we know, there was a load of half truths and exaggerations against Clinton, hasn't someone on Trumps side done even worse with servers than Clinton?

How anyone who has had several businesses wiped out causing investors to become bankrupt, and formed a very dodgy so called university, loves to grab women by the crutch, (don't we all smile  ) kiss them because he feels like it, and lies like a politician became elected to clean the swamp confuses the hell out of me.

Last edited by Expat (Dec 15, 2019 6:01 pm)

Board footer