You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Dec 29, 2019 1:50 pm

gripe
Active

Movie on Ist Black Miss World (Grenada)

#2 Dec 29, 2019 8:31 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: Movie on Ist Black Miss World (Grenada)

#3 Dec 29, 2019 10:09 pm

New Historian
Active

Yeah I'm looking forward to this one! I remember that incredible night, watching the Miss World on the grainy black & white telly in England, and with every stage that Jennifer passed through, our hearts skipped another beat! And then: she won!!! Wo-yooyyy!! Next morning at school I, that browbeaten immigrant kid, was on CLOUD NINE! Finally, people knew that Grenada was a COUNTRY, not some fucking Spanish town!!!

Jennifer and the Windies were our heroes.

#4 Dec 29, 2019 11:13 pm

gripe
Active

Thanks, Calypso.

NH, the occasion was indeed a major eye-opener for many worldwide about where Grenada is actually located. More importantly, it was a very proud moment for all Grenadians. I recall that we had a day -- in primary school -- designated to honor Ms. Hosten when she came home.

On a related matter, you may know that there were some controversy related to Gairy's role as one of the judges. That, though, may have been more an effort to put a damper on Ms. Hosten's accomplishment.

#5 Dec 30, 2019 12:21 am

New Historian
Active

Yup know all about Gairy's role, which must have been substantial and good on him! I've always felt a bit iffy about beauty contests - aren't they sexist exploitative shit? Yes, except when we winnnnn!!!!!

The only things that eclipsed Jennifer was first Bishop, then the invasion, then the ultimate leveller: Ivan.

Jamaica have pretty woman fi true, and super confident too! They run the wheels of government, and they Get Shit Done!

#6 Dec 30, 2019 3:35 am

Calypso
Active

gripe wrote:

Thanks, Calypso.

NH, the occasion was indeed a major eye-opener for many worldwide about where Grenada is actually located. More importantly, it was a very proud moment for all Grenadians. I recall that we had a day -- in primary school -- designated to honor Ms. Hosten when she came home.

On a related matter, you may know that there were some controversy related to Gairy's role as one of the judges. That, though, may have been more an effort to put a damper on Ms. Hosten's accomplishment.

We must all thank uncle Gairy for pushing her along.The first sometimes pave the way for others to join them. She still looks good!

#7 Dec 30, 2019 8:30 am

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

Yup know all about Gairy's role, which must have been substantial and good on him! I've always felt a bit iffy about beauty contests - aren't they sexist exploitative shit? Yes, except when we winnnnn!!!!!

The only things that eclipsed Jennifer was first Bishop, then the invasion, then the ultimate leveller: Ivan.

Jamaica have pretty woman fi true, and super confident too! They run the wheels of government, and they Get Shit Done!

Historically the women contestants the island of Jamaica  sent to compete in beauty pageants were light- skinned with European ancestry They still had mental slavery and their minds were not as yet free. Gairy was far more progressive to promote a darker-skinned woman.

https://butterflyexpressions.wordpress. … -50-years/

GAIRY WAS FAR MORE PROGRESSIVE. HIS CONTESTANT WAS REPRESENTATIVE OF THE ISLAND NATION WITH PEOPLE OF AFRICAN DESCENT AS THE MAJORITY.

Last edited by Calypso (Dec 30, 2019 8:42 am)

Board footer