You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jan 02, 2020 12:02 am

Expat
Active

Brits eat less animals

3.5 million less animals devoured in the UK due to people going over to more plant based diet.
Personally I believe there is nothing wrong with eating meat, red or otherwise so long as it is done in moderation, and that the animals weren't pumped full of GMO origin feed.
Actually I do not think vegetarian excesses are any more good for you than eating a full English breakfast every day.
The key thing that has yet to hit the wider populace is carbs/starches make you put on weight, create sugar rushes and are inflammatory and create, encourage illness, whereas the much maligned natural meat and animal byproducts like butter are easily processed and converted to energy by a body that evolved to do it over a couple of million years instead of the 10 thousand or so we have been farming.

#2 Jan 02, 2020 10:42 am

New Historian
Active

Re: Brits eat less animals

I cannot STAND a "full English fry-up", hurl-worthy. When I visit my friends in Ireland I have to seriously cry off, EVERY day: eggs, bacon, pork sausage, black pudding, WHITE pudding (?), beans, tomatoes, toast ... Lord has anyone got any meusli??

#3 Jan 02, 2020 5:18 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

I cannot STAND a "full English fry-up"

Heart attack on a plate.

#4 Jan 02, 2020 5:21 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

My breakfast for decades has been a cup of coffee with cream and one banana.  Gets me to noon.

#5 Jan 02, 2020 5:59 pm

New Historian
Active

One banana? Couldn't do me.

#6 Jan 02, 2020 9:40 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

My breakfast for decades has been a cup of coffee with cream and one banana.  Gets me to noon.

Yeah, actually slightly better than my Duchy or Cornwall Muesli, and Black Coffee with one brown sugar. I usually cave at around 10am for some form of top up. I can't quite make up my mind what to do, Coffee with a tablespoon of butter is now supposed to be really good for you, and is akin to your cream, but with my condition I am not supposed to drink milk, not sure if it has been converted if it is good or bad for me....

I know the muesli is high in carbs, but at least they are not American sourced so not GMO laden. So I am just slightly off the straight and narrow... smile

#7 Jan 03, 2020 10:17 am

Real Distwalker
Active

If wifee doesn't make it to the market - as is often the case - I go without the banana.  Frankly, skipping breakfast never much bothers me.  Well, except coffee.  I must have coffee.

Speaking of coffee, I have long suspected that I am immune to caffeine.  I have never felt even the slightest effect.  I have fallen asleep on a double dose of No-Doz.  No effect whatsoever.

Last year I was given a DNA test.  I discussed my results here.*  It turns out that I have a particular gene that does, in fact, make me immune to the effects of caffeine.  About 23% of people of European decent do.

*I have often talked here of my Slavic ancestors.  I tracked my immigrant ancestors to their home villages in Bohemia so I assumed they were Slavs.  Not so if the DNA testing is to be trusted.  It turns out that I am almost entirely of German ancestry with a sliver of Irish... At least according to the DNA.  I guess at some point in the past my German ancestors took up residency in Bohemia and their decedents emigrated to America.

It's no big deal either way but it is a bit strange to find out something you believed about yourself to be false in your fifth decade of life.

#8 Jan 03, 2020 10:31 am

New Historian
Active

My daughter spent a bunch of money (correction: wasted a bunch) on this DNA stuff. Turns out she's a polyglot - oh wow what a surprise!

#9 Jan 03, 2020 10:58 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I got it as a Christmas gift.  I have to say, I was impressed the way it immediately connected me with distant cousins who had also taken the test.  Also, it verified that my children are, indeed, my own. smile

Note to the missus: A joke!  Of course there was never any doubt!

#10 Jan 03, 2020 11:01 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Doesn't polyglot mean a person who speaks several languages?  How is that genetic?

Board footer