You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jan 07, 2020 12:35 pm

New Historian
Active

Slaps, and Bloody Knuckles

You used to play these games as kids?

“Let’s play slaps!” my big brother would say. Oh God. Because this wasn’t a request, this was pain. Actually slaps wasn’t so bad, it was when he’d “suggest” that you up the ante to play knuckles – now that was major pain! Being the oldest, he was also usually the quickest, so he’d get in a dozen hard raps across your knuckle, before you could get off one; and by the time you finally cried off in pain, the top of your right hand would be red and swollen! This, no doubt, is another “violent” game they’ve banned in British schools, lest the little snowflakes run home to mommy, in tears.

#2 Jan 07, 2020 1:41 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Slaps, and Bloody Knuckles

We had different names for them but same principle.  I used to tell my brother that if he took off his shirt and let me throw quarters at him he could keep every one I threw.  He'd have welts but he would do it.

#3 Jan 07, 2020 3:48 pm

New Historian
Active

Let me guess: your little brother, right?

Ah boys' games!! In English schools we would spend every lunch break rough-housing, playing football and British Bulldog, a game that has since been banned in schools; thereby spawning a generation of wusses. Mind you, it was a rough game, played on concrete playgrounds; resulting in many a grazed knee and elbow.

#4 Jan 07, 2020 5:58 pm

Expat
Active

Wiki says it was banned in many schools over the 60,s to 90's, but the trend is being reversed so long as it is played more as tag than full contact.

Kinda makes sense to me. You only have one skin, why cover it in unnecessary scars.

While I wasn't exempt from the occasional brawl, I didn't have much playground activity during second school, as I became part of the school brass quartet which played in assembly, christmas celebrations etc. We tended to "live" in the music room, or hide in the gym lockup to have a fag and get up to all kinds of nonsense there. Luckily I wasn't around when the others went through one of those big plate glass windows.... No cane for that at least.

I saw footage of my school which was featured by the BBC after I left..... the fly on the wall docu thingy caused the school to be closed down.... or rather the oafish behaviour of the kids, and the inadequacies of the teachers.

Last edited by Expat (Jan 07, 2020 6:05 pm)

#5 Jan 07, 2020 6:07 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

Let me guess: your little brother, right?

Three years my junior. smile

#6 Jan 07, 2020 6:09 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

We tended to... hide in the gym lockup to have a fag...

big_smile A self evident proof that England and the US are two countries divided by a common language!

#7 Jan 07, 2020 7:14 pm

New Historian
Active

"Kinda makes sense to me. You only have one skin, why cover it in unnecessary scars."

Disagree. Kids, NEED the physical exertion, exhilaration and sense of achievement/failure that physical activity and sports brings. Yes and a sense of danger too! You don't do kids any favours by mollycoddling them and shielding from physical exertion-stroke-harm, all you do is raise a soft, entitled wuss who doesn't know how to win, or lose. Sounds like lots of the current snowflake generation, mollied and coddled and shielded by their helicopter parents? Kinda. In schools these days kids spend all their break time indoors, on some friggin tablet! Obesity is a real problem, weren't too many porkers in any of my schools! Teachers are now devising "clever" ways of making kids do more physical activity, what a joke, in my days they thought of ways of slowing us down!

The other day I saw a tourist father with his son at the beach, the water could not have been more benign, tiny waves lapping at shore, yet this dad insists on positioning himself behind and over this kid on his buggy-board, lest the poor little dear get water up his nose. Leave the kid alone nuh? If he gets into trouble, you'll hear him soon enough! In London you see daddy taking toddler for a bike ride in the park, between helmet, knee guards, elbow guards and gloves, you can't see an inch of that same precious skin you talk about! I never even knew what training wheels were, you keep falling off, until you learn not to!!

Last edited by New Historian (Jan 07, 2020 7:17 pm)

#8 Jan 07, 2020 8:13 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I am with you on this NH.  I let my kids be kids and my son grew up to be a Ranger in Iraq and Afghanistan and my daughter last month backpacked 69 miles among the mountains and glaciers of Patagonia.

#9 Jan 07, 2020 8:24 pm

New Historian
Active

And sailed the Caribbean!

My kids will still talk proudly of the "tests" I put them through: jumping off cliffs, swimming into underwater caves, jumping off boats.

#10 Jan 08, 2020 3:55 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
Expat wrote:

We tended to... hide in the gym lockup to have a fag...

big_smile A self evident proof that England and the US are two countries divided by a common language!

Fags were ciggies, or faggots were a kind of meat ball. The pollution from over the pond came later.

Board footer