You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jan 10, 2020 12:54 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

This will crack you up...

I worked on the island of Guam 2004-2006.  I got to be good friends with a group of Japanese and Korean Americans.  One of the gentlemen had a bar and restaurant and he would ask his friends for a drink recipe for his menu and he would name it after the friend.

I gave him a recipe for rum punch as I learned it in Grenada and it became a hit.  My first name is Rob so he named it "Rasta Rob's Grenadian Rum Punch" on the menu.

Now, only on the other side of the world among Japanese and Korean people could I be called "Rasta Rob".  You all obviously recognize me as about as far from "Rasta" as is possible.

My Japanese friend made a Facebook post over the holidays that said, "Merry Christmas Rasta Rob."  It makes me smile every time.

Offline

#2 Jan 10, 2020 1:56 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: This will crack you up...

From Grenada to Guam! I dunno, I've seen those hot black chicks you post, methinks you've got a touch o' de tarbrush somewhere in there! Ask for a refund from the DNA people!

Offline

#3 Jan 10, 2020 2:12 pm

Slice
Active

Re: This will crack you up...

Did he say Rasta Rob? Well lord BONJAY! I am lost for words.  Expat help me out here.  Rasta RoB Rum Punch.  Ah still think you had ah Guam woman.  Is like every week you over dey.

Last edited by Slice (Jan 10, 2020 2:13 pm)

Offline

#4 Jan 10, 2020 10:55 pm

Expat
Active

Re: This will crack you up...

There is a Brit in Greenz who used to post pictures on Google Earth, and still seems to be current with the weather posting, who was nicknamed Hogan of Grenada... Which he liked and adopted. He posted in a kinda "superior" way on one occasion, and having been "local" for decades, I got irritated on behalf of the bredren, so I pulled him up, and have never had an email since.... smile

I just am NOT going to illuminate on some of my nick names back in the UK back when I worked with my hands. Nope, just not going to do it.

Offline

#5 Jan 12, 2020 8:41 am

gripe
Active

Re: This will crack you up...

RD, that story is a head spinner even from the little that we know about you -- including, of course, your fondness for Grenada. Still, how popular is/was your name-inspired drink?

Offline

#6 Jan 12, 2020 9:20 am

New Historian
Active

Re: This will crack you up...

Expat wrote:

There is a Brit in Greenz who used to post pictures on Google Earth, and still seems to be current with the weather posting, who was nicknamed Hogan of Grenada... Which he liked and adopted. He posted in a kinda "superior" way on one occasion, and having been "local" for decades, I got irritated on behalf of the bredren, so I pulled him up, and have never had an email since.... smile

I just am NOT going to illuminate on some of my nick names back in the UK back when I worked with my hands. Nope, just not going to do it.


Oh YES you are!!!

Offline

#7 Jan 12, 2020 3:35 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: This will crack you up...

gripe wrote:

RD, that story is a head spinner even from the little that we know about you -- including, of course, your fondness for Grenada. Still, how popular is/was your name-inspired drink?

I don't know but it did come off the menu a year or two later so I guess it wasn't too popular.

Offline

#8 Jan 12, 2020 9:09 pm

gripe
Active

Re: This will crack you up...

Sponsor a taste test and maybe, just maybe, it will get back on the drink list.

Offline

#9 Jan 13, 2020 12:52 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: This will crack you up...

New Historian wrote:

From Grenada to Guam! I dunno, I've seen those hot black chicks you post, methinks you've got a touch o' de tarbrush somewhere in there! Ask for a refund from the DNA people!

I don't think I have any 'o' de tarbrush' in me but, by God, if I had it to do all over again my children might. smile

Offline

#10 Jan 13, 2020 1:35 pm

Slice
Active

Re: This will crack you up...

I must admit, RD will make you scratch you head sometime.  How does ah Whiteman from the jungles of Iowa, hangs with Grenadians? I tink, you din trace you DNA far enough, I am convince you have either African or Hispanic or maybe indian in you.  Who in their right minds will pick up ah Grenadian on the street and take them to ah bar and have fun with them?  Not even me as ah American picking up any man in Grenada, only ooman.

Ah wonder if the Jungles of Iowa is an insult?

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB