You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jan 12, 2020 10:25 pm

Expat
Active

time to jook the mihbone nest

We're 12 days into January, it has been too peaceful here, if not perhaps in the middle east.

I was reading the news on the cell phone, and up pops Black kids are being disproportionately penalised in the UK.

The head teacher of the most draconian school has a very Indian name, just for reference.

It seems Black kids are being excluded for "sins" like sucking teeth, having braids, and in one case a boy having his hair too short... That I found weird.

Apparently Government had introduced a no tolerance code which schools are following and Black kids fall foul of the rules more than other groups.

Now I can see a degree of both sides, and certainly think a little tolerance should be built in, but.

Correct me if I am wrong, if kids were sulky and kissed teeth here (Grenada) they would be heading for some form of discipline, no?

I see quite old girls wandering to school with plaited or puffed up hair tied with white ribbon, I don't think braids or extensions are normally accepted, no?

The short hair thing, that was mad. I absolutely would have torn into the school if I were involved.

Could it be protest groups might be better employed helping parents to get their children to conform?

Regardless of race I think boys are often less clued into education than girls, but from decades ago regarding black boys it seemed for those that failed a lot, the main problem was they were more engaged in acting tough, being the man, impressing the girls, than excelling in education, again, back a day it was also different expectations of how the system worked with Windrush parents who handed over their kids expecting the schools to do all the heavy lifting, rather than it being a partnership where the parents over saw and pushed the kids to achieve.

It feels like we should be over these issues so far down the road. 70 years on. For goodness sake.

Last edited by Expat (Jan 12, 2020 10:26 pm)

#2 Jan 13, 2020 1:26 pm

Slice
Active

Re: time to jook the mihbone nest

Lord ah doh wanna sound like Bill Crosby, but here is my truth,  I look at some young folk and ah just must wonder, if ah walking the streets at night ah see dem coming what ah go do?  They look like Jail birds, they look like something to run away from.  Even some of the American football players, who are making tons of money look SCARRY LIKE HELL.

It is about time Black Folks take pride in themselves.  Even in Grenada ah saw older gentleman, whose nasty dirty locks was all the to the ground and it look real nasty.  You want to be respected, then look the path. I cant stand the way some of my folks look.  Ah doh mind the tattoos, but their dress drives me nuts.

#3 Jan 13, 2020 10:08 pm

Expat
Active

Nowadays some of all races dress and look awful.
As an older man i guess my point of view is expected.
Yes, WE, were the rebels back in the day. And yes some of the styles we're stupid. Ok, most of them.
But walking around with half your backside exposed, with a bit covered by a shabby grey pair of underpants, and then the jeans with the crutch down by the knees.
Why would anyone want to replicate jail inmates not allowed to have a belt to keep their pants up.

#4 Jan 13, 2020 11:16 pm

New Historian
Active

What mihbone nest? since anyone on here 'fraid to talk about RACE lol!

But really, with dem English yoof dem, its not about race bruv, it's about class, innit? It's about dem urban yoof dem, with high expectations but not much more

#5 Jan 14, 2020 11:39 am

Slice
Active

I ent fraid to talk about race, as ah matter of fact I can talk it all day. Only last night ah talking just dat with one of me sister.  I surprise when she told me her older son and also the youngest are all dating White women.  Boy you know that was music to me ears.  Now ah doh want ah soul to get me wrong, racism is alive and well in these USA, but we cant solve it if everyone stay dug in their  own corner.  Here is my other concern, the majority of black folks are not doing much to help themselves, they rather blame the  White man.

My three favorites topics in order politics, race and cars.

#6 Jan 14, 2020 1:28 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

If everyone agreed to only have children with a person of another race, the world would soon be a better place.

#7 Jan 14, 2020 10:18 pm

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

If everyone agreed to only have children with a person of another race, the world would soon be a better place.

Speaking as a product of just such a union, I heartily agree!

Board footer