You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jan 23, 2020 9:13 pm

Expat
Active

Don't want to be a scare monger

But.

This latest virus with origins in China, and its already starting to spread to major cities in the West. What about little Grenada, will we have any ability to cope?

Nowadays there are quite a number of Chinese floating about. They may or may not have come from the area that was affected... who knows. But they will not get straight of a plane from Wuchon or what ever the place name is... probably from London on a Virgin, or BA who knows.

Nothing to say any are arriving soon, or have arrived recently, but complacency is not the name of the game surely.

#2 Jan 23, 2020 10:17 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Don't want to be a scare monger

If it spreads, it will spread fast. The 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic spread world wide in a matter of weeks.  There were remote Eskimo villages in which almost everyone died. You won't be able to hide.  It won't have to be a Chinese person.  That infected person who flew to London just as a Grenadian stood on queue for coffee next to him he Heathrow on the way home will do it.

This would be a time to pray or if you don't do that, I dunno, keep your fingers crossed.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Jan 23, 2020 10:19 pm)

#3 Jan 24, 2020 8:05 am

Slice
Active

Here is where the good ole USA comes in, they are already racing for ah vaccine.  One of the good things about being ah China is what they did.  They shut down ah whole city.  This can not happen in America.  The source of that virus also can not happen in the US.  Live wild animals for sale in ah Open air market? Nah just wont happen.

#4 Jan 24, 2020 5:05 pm

houston
Active

"Here is where the good ole USA comes in"

I agree, no other country on the planet saves so many with their time and money spent on research. They will be working hard on this one for sure.
In the meantime, here's a few tips on how to deal with this bug for now.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/novel-co … -1.5438137

#5 Jan 24, 2020 6:08 pm

houston
Active

Another tip...don't eat bats.
Seriously, there are better things to snack on.

https://torontosun.com/news/world/caugh … idemic/amp

#6 Jan 24, 2020 7:49 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

If it spreads, it will spread fast. The 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic spread world wide in a matter of weeks.  There were remote Eskimo villages in which almost everyone died. You won't be able to hide.  It won't have to be a Chinese person.  That infected person who flew to London just as a Grenadian stood on queue for coffee next to him he Heathrow on the way home will do it.

This would be a time to pray or if you don't do that, I dunno, keep your fingers crossed.

Quite right, once it gets under way it could double track all over the place, but in the short term the most likely transmitters are from the local where it originated. China is a blimmin great country, so our Chinese guests may well not have come from or travelled through the affected areas, just suggesting that as we have a population we should consider transmission from that group to be more likely than the Grenadian standing next to the Chinese guy in the coffee shop.

In the short term.

#7 Jan 25, 2020 1:40 pm

New Historian
Active

Remember SARS? AIDS? How come we're all still alive? The latest in a long list of false alarms of mass death, imho.

#8 Jan 25, 2020 2:25 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

Remember SARS? AIDS? How come we're all still alive? The latest in a long list of false alarms of mass death, imho.

They are all false alarms... until they are not.  Ref. 1918

#9 Feb 01, 2020 11:13 pm

Expat
Active

Well as an agent provocateur I continue the theme....

What was the Grenada Government thinking, to let the Chinese in via private flights.... I say flights as ..... although it may be gossip or dey say, I was told there was more than 1 flight coming in during the early hours. ie not just one night.

I am not actually saying they should not have been allowed in, but as far as I know, allowed in without being in quarantine for at least 14 days. It takes 2-14 days incubation, but is transmittable BEFORE SHOWING SYMPTOMS. These people could easily be no problem at all, but it sounds like utter stupidity not to take precautions.

So far the infection rate seems exponential despite attempts at containment within China, fortunately the death rate or ratio seems very low. Perhaps this may end up not much worse than a regular bad flue which can occur at any time. Which jokingly people inoculate against just in case the strain they guess it might be is the one covered by the vaccine supplied. It might be an educated guess but it is still a guess. This is a completely different virus, with a vaccine that is already in tests, but likely not to be certified for around 6 months, but the transmission method seems similar. Contact to previously touched or sneezed on surfaces, cough and sneezing in the atmosphere, touching your eyes or mouth with hands that have touched those droplet covered surfaces.

#10 Feb 02, 2020 9:28 am

Real Distwalker
Active

They say that surgical masks work but not how you think.  They work if you use them as a means to remember not to thoughtlessly touch your face with your infected hands.  It is hard not to touch your face.

Board footer