You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Feb 04, 2020 4:48 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Speaking of aging

The first time I ever posted on the Spiceislander Talkshop I was 38 years old.  Today I am 56.  That's a lot of change in a man's life.  Some of you on here who I have never met in person have been with me through a pretty change filled part of my life.

When I first posted, I had two children.  Now I have three aged 35, 27 and 14.
When I first posted, I had no grandchildren.  Now I have three.
When I first posted, I had little or no gray hair.  Now I have a lot.

I could go on but you get the point.  It is a brave new world where I have maintained a conversation for so long with people I would never have otherwise met.

#2 Feb 05, 2020 8:26 am

Slice
Active

Re: Speaking of aging

First, you look like you still 28.   That is judging by the pic on your phone. trying to figure out if you  were before me?  Not sure. I knew ah took some blows on here, but lord you got beaten up on here.  You must be ah very strong person.  This sticks out to me, " when ah started posting, I attended parties, weddings and lots of celebrations, now ah attend more funerals".

Having said that, there are some folks ah missed in the shop.  Not mention names doh.  I still hold out hope, they will come out. Anytime NH is Grenada, maybe we should have ah family reunion.  Expat already in Greenz, I could be there anytime.  Dancer, Kaiso, gripe, Houston and others we going to invite dem.

You are honest and ah key addition to this place.

Still thinks there ah bunch ah misinformation out there that are keeping folks away.

#3 Feb 05, 2020 8:49 am

Expat
Active

Not being as organised as you I have no idea when I first posted except it was fairly early on in talkshops history. Back when there was more bile and writers tended to be more bellicose.

While I was cordially invited to participate by Brian, I remember open hostility from at least one poster. It took quite a long time before hardly anyone engaged with me.

With the previous format you could see threads, and for reasons I could not grasp... even unto today really, you would comment batter and put down the opposition, and the thread would just get longer. I initially just tried to make a contribution, and that line would just die. Often if it was an early post I was responding to it would kill the thread on the spot.

As for ageing I guess some of my genes may be a little better.... While I may see a skinny old wrinkled man in the mirror, the hair is still predominately brown..... On my head at least... smile

P.S. I think from your post today may be your birthday.

Many Happy Returns....

#4 Feb 05, 2020 9:13 am

New Historian
Active

I first posted in about 1993-4, in DC: many worlds ago!! Then I moved to Zimbabwe, and started a long line of skirmishes with the super-Africans: D@Man, Don et al!

#5 Feb 05, 2020 10:09 am

Real Distwalker
Active

No, not my birthday.  Just feeling nostalgic.  Thanks anyway.

I think you better check your files and advise, NH.  I don't think the Internet as we know it existed in 1993-94.  I am sure Talkshop didn't.

#6 Feb 05, 2020 10:14 am

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

No, not my birthday.  Just feeling nostalgic.  Thanks anyway.

I think you better check your files and advise, NH.  I don't think the Internet as we know it existed in 1993-94.  I am sure Talkshop didn't.

Ah the joys of ageing: memory shot to hell! I moved to DC in Feb 1992 and left in Jan 1998, and I first joined TS sometime in that period.

#7 Feb 05, 2020 11:06 am

piratejenny
Active

Expat - remember your friend Taz? I think I recall the correct name.

#8 Feb 05, 2020 7:19 pm

Expat
Active

Surely do, a real solid geeza. from just a short holiday in Grenada he leapt into action post Ivan to organise collections in his part of the World (Manchester) and then drive down to London and back over night to deliver it to a collection point. So guessing, a 300 mile round trip. I used to meet him and help him offload in the early hours.

#9 Feb 05, 2020 7:54 pm

Expat
Active

Its all a bit blurred now, but I left off making Rolls Royce cars in 91 when the plant closed down.... I still have a clip of Expat talking to the BBC News as they usually do when a large company closes.

Shortly after that I would have been using Psion hand held organisers, and then onto a 286 Pc as I had to run my micro business. Possibly prior to 94 I must have been using the WWW, via a pcmcia card connected to a cell phone in a lap top at a blistering 56K, as I had the gear even before the American multinational Insurance company I joined who paid me the price I had paid for it which was around £1200.

Possibly around 1998 ? or even a bit before that I might have found TS.

Brian must the the go to man for TS information   BRIaaaaaan.

#10 Feb 06, 2020 6:37 pm

houston
Active

Yes, speaking of aging, Kirk Douglas has passed away at the ripe old age of 103.
The old time actor was in a lot of good westerns that I enjoyed as a kid.

https://nationalpost.com/entertainment/ … e-magazine

Board footer