You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Feb 05, 2020 8:34 am

Slice
Active

FOR THE LIFE OF ME AH CANT FIGURE OUT IOWA

This state is 95% white.  They gave us Obama against all odds, now they gave us the first openly gay nominee.  What the hell is going on?  This time ah think they are wrong.  America is not ready for an openly gay president.  Black folks are not ready for dat. I like his policy, but even I got questions.

#2 Feb 05, 2020 8:56 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: FOR THE LIFE OF ME AH CANT FIGURE OUT IOWA

My father is the quintessential Iowan.  He is rural and lived here all his life.   

He is also one of the least judgmental people I have ever met. Even when I was a kid in the 1970s if he heard someone was gay he would just say, "it's none of my business what they do".  His sister is married to a black man and he loves the guy.  A lot of Iowans are like that.

The notion that he should be a hater is wrong and just proves that our preconceived notions about what people are like is often wrong.

#3 Feb 05, 2020 12:16 pm

Slice
Active

I did have ah perceived notion about Iowa. I ent going to tell untruth. Lord allyu surprise me.  They love the fact that this guy is young and dynamitic. Then ah know about you, then they voted in huge numbers for OBama, have me head spinning.

#4 Feb 05, 2020 12:25 pm

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

My father is the quintessential Iowan.  He is rural and lived here all his life.   

He is also one of the least judgmental people I have ever met. Even when I was a kid in the 1970s if he heard someone was gay he would just say, "it's none of my business what they do".  His sister is married to a black man and he loves the guy.  A lot of Iowans are like that.

The notion that he should be a hater is wrong and just proves that our preconceived notions about what people are like is often wrong.

Good words. I was pleasantly surprised, years ago, when I mixed a lot with US farmer folk, just how much like you say they are, they were! Mind you, they didn't live in trailer parks!

Board footer