You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Feb 12, 2020 4:52 am

Calypso
Active

#2 Feb 12, 2020 10:25 am

New Historian
Active

Re: This Can Happen to Grenada

Jamaica has benefitted from billions of dollars in soft Chinese loans, which has been used to build up its improve its road infrastructure. But hey, you don't get nothing for nothing in this world.

#3 Feb 12, 2020 11:29 am

Real Distwalker
Active

531141041.webp?mw=800&mh=600

#4 Feb 12, 2020 1:48 pm

Expat
Active

True oh wise one.

But I think the loans grants and aid from other sources would have had much weaker string attached.

China is slip sliding itself into many many countries... Sheesh, even Britain is sucking on the tiny weener.

Chinee now have a good part of the access road to one of our nicer beaches, La Sagesse, they have been building what looks like Mulltiple occupancy housing -apartments on the hillside close by. Maybe 8 or 10 of them standing out from the hill. There was talk of a train line along the South West Coast....?  Crazy...

I would not say Grenada couldn't do with some help, but as the Chinese have figured out local tradesmen are crap they don't employ them, but just bring in their own, who will probably stay and make unemployment even worse than it is at the moment.

What many folks do not seem to recognise is they are exporting their people as well as their products, and it may take 50 years, but we had better start learning Mandarin in our local schools.

#5 Feb 12, 2020 2:27 pm

New Historian
Active

A whole heap a Chinee went to Trinidad to work on the NAPA Arts complex, the complex finish long time, and now there's a million cheapo Chinese restaurants in Curepe. Same thing with the highway in Jamaica, and nowadays you see lots of cute brown almond-eyed pickney along the route!

#6 Feb 12, 2020 9:18 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

A whole heap a Chinee went to Trinidad to work on the NAPA Arts complex, the complex finish long time, and now there's a million cheapo Chinese restaurants in Curepe. Same thing with the highway in Jamaica, and nowadays you see lots of cute brown almond-eyed pickney along the route!

Yeah, My Nephew was involved in setting up an Orchestra in T&T, I am pretty sure it was for the Arts Complex... I seem to remember him dashing backwards and forwards to Trinidad. Eventually there was a ruckus where they accused him of being racist because he hired some white musicians over Black ones for the opening concert.... He is a well respected Professor of Music, Conductor, and Trombonist, he has played in just about every major orchestra in the World, and played all over the World. Written the scores for at least 2 Ballet and sundry things, he is well connected in that arena, and knew who were the best AVAILABLE musicians at the time. That was it, they were the best AVAILABLE musicians, the black ones were already committed. Duh, Stupid pan beating idiots.

Looking forward to some cheepo Chinese restaurants here in Grenada, the only one I have tried here that I could find meals that tasted good and were not overly expensive closed a couple of years back. The one in Grand Anse, Chopstix aint all that and is too pricey for what it is.

One of the things I really miss, and pig out on when I go back is Chinese meals. eat in or take away.... Yummmm.

Last edited by Expat (Feb 12, 2020 9:26 pm)

#7 Feb 13, 2020 1:05 pm

WH Man
Active

"This can happen in Grenada".....

Nope, it WILL happen, just a matter of time!

#8 Feb 13, 2020 1:14 pm

WH Man
Active

Already happened in Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Venezuela (joined by the Russians in controlling oil facilities), the Panama canal, and a few kleptocratic African countries...…...

#9 Feb 14, 2020 12:19 pm

Slice
Active

The Chinese built the PM resident.  Here is the great thing ah like about China.  You must be  tested for that virus.  They will grab you from your home to get tested.  That is what communism, will do for you.  I hate communism, but ah like the way they are treating that virus.  China does not ah frigging thing for the Caribbean.  I hate them in the Caribbean, but with ah Big Fat void that America has left, the Chinese are filling it.

Board footer