You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Nov 17, 2016 9:11 am

Slice

FOLKS ARE NO LONGER REALIZING, THEIR DREAM, of RETURNING TO GRENADA

When ah just came to America and ah heard this person been here for more than 30 years, ah say they mad.  I also said not me after ah few years come hell or high water ah going back.  Here I am years and years later ah still here.

Why?  Remember this is my personal opinion, the number one reason folks do not return is money.  America is not the Land of Milk and Honey as some folks expected.  It is a very difficult move to make it back home. I would say about 90% of us are living from hand to mouth, and we just  doh have the money to make that move. Buying property in Grenada is ah FRIGGING Nightmare.  Banks won't loan you monies after the age of sixty.  By the time we retire, we are past sixty.  No money for us.

Another reason, we are abandoning our return dream is health.  Is like some ah we fraid to dead.  When we get sick in Grenada or the Caribbean they has nothing to offer us.  I heard so many horror stories about returning nationals, getting sick and not being able to get the proper treatment for what ails them.

There was a returning nationals boom in the nighties and the Grenada property sales was going nuts, everyone wanted to build ah mansion in Grenada and never return to the cold.  It is no longer happening.

Here is the lasting effect of us not returning, foreigners who can afford it, are now taking over Grenada.  Am I mad? Hell no.

#2 Nov 17, 2016 4:09 pm

New Historian

Re: FOLKS ARE NO LONGER REALIZING, THEIR DREAM, of RETURNING TO GRENADA

You're "dead" right about the healthcare thing, which of course never used to worry me in the old days lol! But there are health advantages to living in Greenz too: less stress, less cold, less Donald Trump!

#3 Nov 17, 2016 5:31 pm

Slice

New Historian wrote:

You're "dead" right about the healthcare thing, which of course never used to worry me in the old days lol! But there are health advantages to living in Greenz too: less stress, less cold, less Donald Trump!

Ah moving pass the Trump ting.  It happen and ah have to live with it.  Not ah ting anyone of  us could do.  Yep the stress less situation in Grenada is ah real plus.  Ah love the easy living and there are always some kinda fruit in season for breakfast.

#4 Nov 17, 2016 8:36 pm

AC

Boy how old is you? I have heard those concerns you expressed and it is real as they come

#5 Nov 18, 2016 8:07 am

Slice

AC wrote:

Boy how old is you? I have heard those concerns you expressed and it is real as they come

Hey get in touch with you friend and let her know, that Talkshop is up and running.  Let her know her old bookmark won't work.  Google talkshop and she will have it.  Ah kinda miss her blunt talk..

#6 Nov 18, 2016 8:48 am

Expat

New Historian wrote:

Although we all know there can be sad outcomes due to lack of care, indifference to patient needs, and lack of medicines etc  etc.

Grenada has had significant benefits regarding health care for me.

As a person who has worn glasses since I was about 4 or 5 I have had a few pairs of glasses over the years. For the past decade or maybe more, I have been dissatisfied with the outcome of every test and new pair of glasses supplied, for many many different reasons.

Recently I went to the new opticians on the careenage, and they did a spot on eye exam. And I think... we are waiting for them to be issued, but likewise for the Wife.

Another issue I need not elaborate on but is a potentially terminal illness is being much better handled here in Grenada.

It's luck and chance.

#7 Nov 18, 2016 9:09 am

Slice

I broke my glasses while in Grenada.  Then ah remember there was suppose to be ah glasses place on the carenage.  As ah kid, my sister visited that place.  After her diagnose, they ask, if she had family in America?  She said yes.  they immediately started making arrangements for her to come to America as an Emergency case.

Anyway when ah visited them, ah was kinda shock.  I was expecting ah price of someway in the neighbor hood of ec $200.  they ent charge me ah penny.  I kinda froze, I was not expecting that.

There are boxes or something in that place where you can donate to the less fortunate.  I gladly gave 75% of what ah expecting to pay.  That place is real classy.  Next time ah in Grenada, ah dropping something off for them.

Well Expat, your surprise with your statement about Terminal disease.  I am not going to argue.  I am going to take your word.

#8 Nov 19, 2016 11:44 am

Calypso

Slice wrote:

When ah just came to America and ah heard this person been here for more than 30 years, ah say they mad.  I also said not me after ah few years come hell or high water ah going back.  Here I am years and years later ah still here.

Why?  Remember this is my personal opinion, the number one reason folks do not return is money.  America is not the Land of Milk and Honey as some folks expected.  It is a very difficult move to make it back home. I would say about 90% of us are living from hand to mouth, and we just  doh have the money to make that move. Buying property in Grenada is ah FRIGGING Nightmare.  Banks won't loan you monies after the age of sixty.  By the time we retire, we are past sixty.  No money for us.

Another reason, we are abandoning our return dream is health.  Is like some ah we fraid to dead.  When we get sick in Grenada or the Caribbean they has nothing to offer us.  I heard so many horror stories about returning nationals, getting sick and not being able to get the proper treatment for what ails them.

There was a returning nationals boom in the nighties and the Grenada property sales was going nuts, everyone wanted to build ah mansion in Grenada and never return to the cold.  It is no longer happening.

Here is the lasting effect of us not returning, foreigners who can afford it, are now taking over Grenada.  Am I mad? Hell no.

You got that damned right! Jamaica is so blasted poor! I'd like to return one last time to spend a summer there, traveling to my childhood haunts. I don't think it is safe to return there. I know a woman who sends her mother's medication down to the island monthly and have her come to the US for her yearly check up. My retirement check will go very far in JA but who will take care of me when I'm old. Here in America the government will. GOD BLESS AMERICA WITH ITS BENEFITS! Our government do not invest in the old. When we are young, we could come and go to the islands as we please because we can't do it again when we are old!

#9 Nov 19, 2016 1:08 pm

Slice

Calypso wrote:
Slice wrote:

You got that damned right! Jamaica is so blasted poor! I'd like to return one last time to spend a summer there, traveling to my childhood haunts. I don't think it is safe to return there. I know a woman who sends her mother's medication down to the island monthly and have her come to the US for her yearly check up. My retirement check will go very far in JA but who will take care of me when I'm old. Here in America the government will. GOD BLESS AMERICA WITH ITS BENEFITS! Our government do not invest in the old. When we are young, we could come and go to the islands as we please because we can't do it again when we are old!

So  me din know, you Jamaican.  Wha you looking for in ah Grenadian forum?  Hey doh take no offence to me questions.  It is just ah question.

#10 Nov 19, 2016 3:53 pm

Calypso

Slice wrote:
Calypso wrote:
Slice wrote:

me din know, you Jamaican.  Wha you looking for in ah Grenadian forum?  Hey doh take no offence to me questions.  It is just ah question.

Everyone on this forum knows that I'm a Jamaican. I don't know how you didn't. Dancer refers to me as the "JA," Mansah calls me the "Jamaikan" MRP, etc. and etc.  I am Caribbean and that is why I am here. Lilly tried to run me off this forum on several occasions but I love it. It keeps me in touch with the Caribbean community.

Board footer