You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#11 Nov 19, 2016 5:05 pm

Slice

Re: FOLKS ARE NO LONGER REALIZING, THEIR DREAM, of RETURNING TO GRENADA

Calypso wrote:
Slice wrote:
Calypso wrote:

You got that damned right! Jamaica is so blasted poor! I'd like to return one last time to spend a summer there, traveling to my childhood haunts. I don't think it is safe to return there. I know a woman who sends her mother's medication down to the island monthly and have her come to the US for her yearly check up. My retirement check will go very far in JA but who will take care of me when I'm old. Here in America the government will. GOD BLESS AMERICA WITH ITS BENEFITS! Our government do not invest in the old. When we are young, we could come and go to the islands as we please because we can't do it again when we are old!

me din know, you Jamaican.  Wha you looking for in ah Grenadian forum?  Hey doh take no offence to me questions.  It is just ah question.

Everyone on this forum knows that I'm a Jamaican. I don't know how you didn't. Dancer refers to me as the "JA," Mansah calls me the "Jamaikan" MRP, etc. and etc.  I am Caribbean and that is why I am here. Lilly tried to run me off this forum on several occasions but I love it. It keeps me in touch with the Caribbean community.

All ah go say is sweet.

#12 Nov 20, 2016 1:26 am

dapper

is it possible to take out a mortgage with a grenadian bank but pay the mortgage from my english account while living and working in the uk?

#13 Nov 20, 2016 7:23 am

Slice

The short answer is yes. Do your research, and shop for the best.  The financial institutions in Grenada are, willing and ready to give loans.

#14 Nov 20, 2016 9:27 am

dapper

thanks slice

#15 Nov 21, 2016 3:24 pm

Expat

dapper wrote:

is it possible to take out a mortgage with a grenadian bank but pay the mortgage from my english account while living and working in the uk?

Why would you do that?

It will cost you a fortune in currency exchange paying the monthly instalments.

Take the loan in the UK on a "Holiday Home". Once you have some papers to show its existence,   then clear the debt in the UK at a lower rate than Grenada, and no exchange rate issues other than the bulk money sent to Grenada to build the house.

#16 Nov 21, 2016 5:02 pm

Slice

Expat wrote:
dapper wrote:

Why would you do that?

Take the loan in the UK on a "Holiday Home". Once you have some papers to show its existence,   then clear the debt in the UK at a lower rate than Grenada, and no exchange rate issues other than the bulk money sent to Grenada to build the house.

So you saying, you can get a loan in England to build ah house in Grenada? I wish ah could ah do dat in America.  It just ent happening in the states.

#17 Nov 21, 2016 6:33 pm

Expat

Slice wrote:
Expat wrote:
dapper wrote:

Why would you do that?

So you saying, you can get a loan in England to build ah house in Grenada? I wish ah could ah do dat in America.  It just ent happening in the states.

It's how I got one of my properties. It would have been insane to take out a loan at high rates in Grenada, and then send over monthly instalments to pay it off. Not only would you be paying commission on the currency exchange, but also bank charges every time you send a payment.  LAaaawd.

I had a pliable account manager, and he was OK with what was a small loan compared to my equity. He kind of coughed and said "it IS a holiday home isn't it" to which I said err yesssss.

Lump sum to transfer, and only one set of bank charges.

Job done.

Having re read the OP.... perhaps he has a sterling account in Grenada?  I did at one point. But didn't find it worth the effort. Same kind of story though. Once you change the money on a monthly basis the conversion costs to XCD from GBP make it a painful process.

Last edited by Expat (Nov 21, 2016 6:36 pm)

#18 Nov 23, 2016 12:37 pm

New Historian

I miss the style of the old Talkshop!! MUCH easier to follow when the comments cascade down from the original post, instead of having to cut and paste the post you are responding to. Come on people....

#19 Nov 23, 2016 12:57 pm

Slice

Expat wrote:
Slice wrote:
Expat wrote:

Why would you do that?

It's how I got one of my properties. It would have been insane to take out a loan at high rates in Grenada, and then send over monthly instalments to pay it off. Not only would you be paying commission on the currency exchange, but also bank charges every time you send a payment.  LAaaawd.

I had a pliable account manager, and he was OK with what was a small loan compared to my equity. He kind of coughed and said "it IS a holiday home isn't it" to which I said err yesssss.

Lump sum to transfer, and only one set of bank charges.

Job done.

Having re read the OP.... perhaps he has a sterling account in Grenada?  I did at one point. But didn't find it worth the effort. Same kind of story though. Once you change the money on a monthly basis the conversion costs to XCD from GBP make it a painful process.

GOSH! ah search high and low to find such bank in the US.  The only kind of loan you find in America are personal loans.  It just doh happen here.  Can't wait to finish off them high interest loans in Grenada. Every transaction, you make there is a charge.  The banks in Grenada, are killing poor Grenadians.

#20 Nov 24, 2016 8:16 pm

Mt Rich Possi

Slice lots of people that return to Grenada don't live past 10 years after they return..  I know numerous people that work their backside in North America.... When they return home they end up kicking the bucket after 4 to 5 years..

With Trump as the President there going to be lots of Grenadians going back home... I received a few email messages from some friends in Brooklyn that are very worried about the Trump presidency..  As a matter of fact right after Trump won the Election the Canadian website crashed because people want to jump ship and run to Canada..

I think Trump better build a wall here in Canada as well..  Some people already packed their bags and ready to move to Canada.

Here is a good advice for you Slice... Take this from an old friend called MRP..... You already in your 60's I suggest you keep you little backside quiet and stay in the U.S... Or else you might end up kicking the bucket before you hit the age of 70 if you move back to Grenada... Go and enjoy yourself on Vacations but don't move back home....

Mt Rich Possi

Board footer