You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Feb 13, 2020 10:54 am

New Historian
Active

And we mustn't say bad things about Muslims...

There are animals in the story, and I'm not talking about the beloved dog. Sickening.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51449514

#2 Feb 13, 2020 11:15 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: And we mustn't say bad things about Muslims...

It is hard for me not to be prejudicial regarding the character of people who harm dogs.  Humans have a special relationship with dogs and dogs hold up their end of the deal better than humans. You don't have to be a dog lover but I will find it hard to enjoy your company if you are a dog hater.

#3 Feb 13, 2020 2:35 pm

Expat
Active

Most religions have come up with some pretty stupid and brutal stuff if we look at them in hindsight.

Islam is just a younger religion with lots of fervent followers.

We still have eye for an eye in the good book, but most people are sophisticated enough not to take it literally, Muslims though tend to follow the words of the Koran to the letter. They will mature eventually, but not in my lifetime I expect.
Fundamental Misoganism.

Last edited by Expat (Feb 13, 2020 2:40 pm)

#4 Feb 13, 2020 2:54 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

That eye-for-an-eye crap is part of the defunct Old Testament.  I suppose that is your point.

The Gospel of Christ put all that in the dumpster along with mandatory circumcision and no pork chops. 

Matthew 22:36-40 New International Version (NIV)

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

"All the law."

#5 Feb 13, 2020 3:12 pm

Expat
Active

Defunct Old Testament.... Ooookay.

Watch out for that baby the bathwaters pretty dirty.

#6 Feb 13, 2020 3:59 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

The Old Testament probably shouldn't even have been included in Christian canon in my opinion.  That said, I love Ecclesiastes.

#7 Feb 13, 2020 7:54 pm

Expat
Active

Everyone therefore who hears these words of mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man, who built his house on a rock. The rain came down, the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat on that house; and it didn't fall, for it was founded on the rock. Everyone who hears these words of mine, and doesn't do them will be like a foolish man, who built his house on the sand. The rain came down, the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat on that house; and it fell—and great was its fall.
— Matthew 7:24–27

The Old Testament is the foundation, or bed rock.

#8 Feb 13, 2020 8:23 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Interesting you should quite Matthew 7.  In that case, Matthew is quoting Christ who saying the foundation is the principles he mentions earlier in that same chapter: Judge not or you will be judged, don't be a hypocrite, treat others as you want to be treated, watch out for false prophets.  In other words, Christ is specifically saying that the foundation of the Faith is his words. His words are only in the New Testament.

Everyone therefore who hears these words of mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man, who built his house on a rock.

Not the Old Testament but the words of Christ.

#9 Feb 13, 2020 8:38 pm

Expat
Active

Ummm I figured that... Duh.

But without Judaism which Christ was a part of, and its history there would be no New Testament. Circling it back to my baby and bathwater comment.

Last edited by Expat (Feb 13, 2020 8:40 pm)

#10 Feb 13, 2020 8:45 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Read about the Incident at Antioch.  I am definitely in Paul's camp on that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incident_at_Antioch

By the way, I know you are a heathen now but isn't your Christian background Roman Catholic?  I am a Lutheran.  Right there explains some of our difference.  I am a Sola Fide believer (Faith Alone). I have antinomianism in my blood. smile

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Feb 13, 2020 8:49 pm)

Board footer