You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Feb 27, 2020 10:54 am

New Historian
Active

On hypocrisy of the climate celebs

Leonardo Di Caprio cries “climate change” while he travels the world in his yacht. Jane Fonda flies in her private plane to Fort McMurray to condemn the oil sands. And James Cameron makes millions off of movies decrying the impacts of the sector on the environment despite owning a helicopter, three Harleys, a Corvette, a Ducati, a Ford GT, a collection of dirt bikes, a yacht, a Humvee fire truck, and a fleet of submarines.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with someone using their personal power for the good of society or fighting for what they believe in. They should, however, practice what they preach. And if their personal agenda is different from their public agenda, they should use their money to develop technological advances rather than acting like a hypocrite and simply paying for carbon credits so they themselves can continue polluting.

#2 Feb 27, 2020 7:28 pm

Expat
Active

Re: On hypocrisy of the climate celebs

Judge not lest thou be judged.

#3 Feb 27, 2020 8:04 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

It's not just judging.  They want us all to lower our standards of living to deal with climatic issues while they live lives that are more opulent that we will ever have.

#4 Feb 28, 2020 1:28 pm

Expat
Active

This is just like when the many beggars come with their request for 2 dollars or even 60 cents which is obviously a psychological ploy for you to dive in and give 1-2-3-5 dollars as you have started the process.

Do I have to stand on the street corners as well to have a clear conscience?

There was a time when I had no issue with keeping the unlucky, and the drug addicts in supplies, but since the global downturn, followed by the Brexit fiasco I am getting further and further behind in just regular maintenance work simply because I have lost roughly 25% of my income for the past 12 years. Due to the resilience of America, and the UK being part of the rest of the World that hasn't bounced back as if it was a simple cold. The exchange rate is killing me, and with Coronavirus it is probably going to get worse again. Should I wear rags to complete the picture, and justify my apparent lack of generosity?

Those criiticised may be buying expensive toys, and may be moving with less constraints than many, but if you take their wealth, and spread it over the many people who might equate to their income you would probably find the individuals combined would equate to a greater carbon foot print than the film star or what ever.

Plus many of these wealthy people seem to "give back" in all sorts of ways. Many of which we don't hear about.

All of us have travelled as and when it suited us, driven around in gas guzzlers, and many other carbon footprint transgressions. What do you want these people to do now they have managed what so many of us would like to have achieved?  Put on sack cloth and live like hermits.

I feel the Greens syndrome has bubbled over.

Last edited by Expat (Feb 28, 2020 10:22 pm)

#5 Feb 29, 2020 12:39 am

Real Distwalker
Active

When a celeb takes a private jet, for example, they release more CO2 in that one trip than I do in six months.  I don't need to be lectured by people like that.

#6 Feb 29, 2020 9:39 am

Slice
Active

Maybe I am one of them.  I do believe in climate change, but I hate alternative fuel vehicles.

#7 Feb 29, 2020 12:45 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

When a celeb takes a private jet, for example, they release more CO2 in that one trip than I do in six months.  I don't need to be lectured by people like that.

It's all relative.  One half hour training sortie of a jet fighter probably burns as much as this loathed celeb flying from New York to Miami.

As far as I can see even J.C. had feet of clay. Me I ain't going to demand they all get electric cars and drive the journey, cos most of that is bollocks too. Lets face it they will create trillions of tons creating these vehicles, they will cause POWER stations to emit trillions of tons to refuel them.... unless they all have super efficient solar cells, which like the batteries are probably made out of serious planet polluting toxins, so until we stop expanding our population, better yet have a pandemic more efficient than Corvid19 then maybe the Planet can start natures usual self healing strategy.

Last edited by Expat (Feb 29, 2020 12:51 pm)

#8 Feb 29, 2020 12:49 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

Maybe I am one of them.  I do believe in climate change, but I hate alternative fuel vehicles.

Yep, sounds like you need to be lectured.... wink

Maybe you are turning into a Luddite like me?

Despite huge improvements in these new technologies I think they are only at Window 2.5 or Win3 stage, so we or rather you, cos I am running my car into the ground, are going tom be the lab animals while they figure out how to make these cars more efficient with better mileage capability.

I think the cars should all run on Hydrogen so that any major collision wipes out a whole block rather than just the two drivers.

#9 Feb 29, 2020 12:54 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

Leonardo Di Caprio cries “climate change” while he travels the world in his yacht. Jane Fonda flies in her private plane to Fort McMurray to condemn the oil sands. And James Cameron makes millions off of movies decrying the impacts of the sector on the environment despite owning a helicopter, three Harleys, a Corvette, a Ducati, a Ford GT, a collection of dirt bikes, a yacht, a Humvee fire truck, and a fleet of submarines.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with someone using their personal power for the good of society or fighting for what they believe in. They should, however, practice what they preach. And if their personal agenda is different from their public agenda, they should use their money to develop technological advances rather than acting like a hypocrite and simply paying for carbon credits so they themselves can continue polluting.

Ahhh but James Cameron can only drive one of them at a time.

Nice little hornets nest jooking bro. Keep it up.... smile

#10 Feb 29, 2020 6:59 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Iowa gets a greater proportion of its power from wind than any other state and I power my house largely by wind power.  I don't have an electric car yet but when they solve the charge-time problem, I will be first in line.  Why?  It is actually a better way to heat and cool my house and to drive regardless of the green benefits.

Board footer