You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Mar 14, 2020 2:31 pm

houston
Active

Flatten the curve

I wonder how many of those people that are desperate for toilet rolls have been infected or helped spread this thing by being in packed stores. All with no square to spare.

https://nationalpost.com/news/may-soon- … nge-canada

#2 Mar 14, 2020 3:09 pm

houston
Active

Re: Flatten the curve

#3 Mar 14, 2020 3:11 pm

Expat
Active

houston wrote:

I wonder how many of those people that are desperate for toilet rolls have been infected or helped spread this thing by being in packed stores. All with no square to spare.

In Canada, America and most advanced countries with adaptable supply chains there really should not be a panic.

In little Islands with slow deliveries via containers from foreign, and pretty lousy stock management, panic is inevitable, and to a degree justifiable.

#4 Mar 14, 2020 4:21 pm

houston
Active

Yes, I can see how that could be an issue Expat. But toilet rolls, of all things essential, should not be top of the list.

#5 Mar 14, 2020 4:51 pm

houston
Active

This is the beginning of March break here and the schools have shut down for at least an extra two weeks. I know of several families that are continuing with their plans and flying to Mexico today. Personally, I think they're nuts to risk not being able to return home for quite some time. Who looks after the cat, the dog, the bills while they are stranded.
Saw an advertisement from a cruise ship line the other day. They offered a cruise to the Bahamas for $119. Wouldn't doubt it if that ship is packed with risk takers.

#6 Mar 14, 2020 5:33 pm

Expat
Active

U can always use bluggoe leaf....

One thing I always have in my houses is a bidet, so who gives a s.....

60 and 70GBP off Virgin flights to the Caribbean at the moment.

Last edited by Expat (Mar 14, 2020 5:37 pm)

#7 Mar 14, 2020 5:47 pm

Expat
Active

houston wrote:

This is the beginning of March break here and the schools have shut down for at least an extra two weeks. I know of several families that are continuing with their plans and flying to Mexico today. Personally, I think they're nuts to risk not being able to return home for quite some time. Who looks after the cat, the dog, the bills while they are stranded.
Saw an advertisement from a cruise ship line the other day. They offered a cruise to the Bahamas for $119. Wouldn't doubt it if that ship is packed with risk takers.

Unless the airline quits flying the route, goes bust, or doesn't allow them on the flight as they have symptoms they should get back.... just maybe not to home for an additional 2 weeks.

I think Virgin are already allowing free cancellation.... but they don't want to hear from you unless your flight is due in 72 hours, so I am hanging fire, and maybe THEY will cancel the flights themselves.... although at the moment they are discounting the flights.

#8 Mar 14, 2020 6:20 pm

houston
Active

Got a notice from Aer Lingus stating that they are willing to wave a rescheduling charge, yet have to pay the fee for flights at peak periods.
No thanks, I'll wait until they cancel all flights in and out.

#9 Mar 14, 2020 9:37 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

The toilet paper panic should be studied as an example of mass hysteria and the madness of crowds.  There is no other reason for it than people have lost their ever-loving minds.  Seriously.

#10 Mar 15, 2020 9:21 am

Slice
Active

houston wrote:

everyone should have at least ah case of all paper products in their house.

Board footer