You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Mar 24, 2020 5:46 pm

Slice
Active

Re: Racism rearing it's ugly head.

But are you ready to admit, that being red also has it advantages?  SOME women love ah red man.

Last edited by Slice (Mar 24, 2020 5:46 pm)

#12 Mar 24, 2020 5:53 pm

New Historian
Active

Slice wrote:

But are you ready to admit, that being red also has it advantages?  SOME women love ah red man.

Oh it's the best of both worlds lol!!!

#13 Mar 24, 2020 6:26 pm

Expat
Active

See both Slice and NH are right, but even though I am used to much of it. Just as you'll might say it's your culture to speak so, and we all know the local  song Coolie Coolie Nigga Nigga that is sung by children, or at least WAS. Having had unintentional thoughtless racism beaten out of me/us in the UK, I still find it jarring when whether just as a, here guy, or get your white arse outa here it is uncomfortable.

While saying look at that fella over there to others one might say do you see that Black guy, but you wouldn't call out Hey Black Man come here... Hey Mister, etc.

#14 Mar 24, 2020 6:43 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Thanks, NH.  I was aware of some of that but, where I am from, a "red man" would be a Sioux or Cherokee.

I would never yell "hey black man"! That just sounds rude to me.  That said, I would say to a black friend, "As a black man, how do you feel about...?"  The term "black man" isn't offensive and neither is "white man".  That said, yelling it would be.  I don't know why, it just is.

red_man_original_chew_feb_2020.jpg

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Mar 24, 2020 6:44 pm)

#15 Mar 24, 2020 7:52 pm

New Historian
Active

I think I'd prefer Grenadian "blunt but not harmful racism" than what England's become, where everyone tippy-toes around anything vaguely to do with race. My brother's a teacher and tells of a little kid who was complaining to him how some other kid had been mean to him (little wimp!). There were 4 boys standing a ways away, one of whom was Black, and the kid clearly wanted to point him out.

"The one in the red shirt!"

"There's two of them with red shirts."

"The one wearing sneakers."

"Three of them are wearing sneakers. Do you mean the Black kid?"

Cue shock horreur!

#16 Mar 24, 2020 8:37 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

"Three of them are wearing sneakers. Do you mean the Black kid?"

I would have said the 'black kid' even though I suppose I am overly cautious.

#17 Mar 24, 2020 9:46 pm

New Historian
Active

Can't stand the African-American one, who invented that? Probably not AA's! So what about Black West Indians who live in America then? Are they Caribbean-African-Americans? But the one that takes the gold medal in stupid is "POC" - People of Colour. POC my ass, why not PWC - People Without Colour? Seeing that "we" outnumber "them".

I too old for all this millennial PC shit oui.

#18 Mar 24, 2020 9:55 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

My soon-to-be son in law is a white South African who is a naturalized American citizen.  He once told some black guys in a bar in New York that he was a "real African American" and they almost kicked his ass. smile

It would never in a thousand years occur to me to call myself a "European American".  I sure as hell am not European.

"People of color" is okay.  "Colored people" is racist. Bizarre.

#19 Mar 24, 2020 10:11 pm

New Historian
Active

I find POC demeaning and offensive, as if your whole being can be boiled down to whether you have colour or not. F*ck that shit. So, are "all POCs created equal"? I'm just the same as a Chinese or Pakistani, just because we all share the common gene of "colour"? And with it goes the "minority mindset" that is so evident among that old fashioned but 100% accurate term: Black Americans. When my kids were in school up there I refused to enroll them in minority clubs and programs, they don't need any condescending special treatment, thank you very much. Why can't we just be what we are, instead of pussyfooting around all these clumsy euphemisms?

Last edited by New Historian (Mar 24, 2020 10:12 pm)

#20 Mar 24, 2020 10:36 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I respect that a lot.

Board footer