You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Feb 22, 2017 9:38 pm

New Historian
Active

By 2030, Americans will have the lowest life expectancy

Something BIGLY wrong with the American health system and lifestyle. It amazes me to watch US television (ugh, I wish I was still in the "European cable sphere" lol!), and its non-stop BARRAGE of ads for drugs, both prescription and over the counter! Are ALL Americans dying, or just those that watch TV?

Watching Americans eat at the buffet line is an exercise in horror - mountains of junk!! Greasy, cheesy and full of junk. Never mind about cigarettes, KCF and MacDonalds should come with health warnings!

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-39040146

#2 Feb 23, 2017 8:54 am

Slice
Active

Re: By 2030, Americans will have the lowest life expectancy

In all honesty it is horrifying. My first  few years in America, I also got caught up in the food madness.  Everyday I had either something fried or a big fat Juicy Cheese steak sub.  I thought that is the way life was suppose to be.  I still enjoy  the Fatty foods, but not as much.

I think this life expectancy is  kinda misleading.  Doh know how or why, but ah just doh trust it.

I always thought, there should be another way to celebrate.  Every frigging celebration is food, there must be another way.

Watch, Americans  ent Greedy in joke you know.  Lord ah just have to shake me head sometimes.

Well maybe they can afford it, but the folks in my work place, never ever bring they own lunch, they always buy that greasy Sheet for lunch.

I still believe that America is on the leading edge to cure most diseases, but  some life style most be modified.

I think they say 50% of all cancers are preventable.

I do have one bad habit and gosh it hard to kick.

#3 Feb 23, 2017 9:42 am

Expat
Active

It's similar to the North of England/Scotland.

They have some of the most unhealthy foods.... including Mars Bars fried in batter not to mention excessive alcohol consumption, and lowest life expectancy.

In the South the food is better, but the Yuppies drink themselves to oblivion. I guess Liver sclerosis is going to climb up the league tables in a few years time.

#4 Feb 23, 2017 10:43 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Again, America is a large country with a diverse population.   Saying "Americans die young" is absurd.  Asian Americans have a life expectancy that is as long as, well, Asians.  African Americans in Chicago have a much shorter life expectancy because life expectancy is an average.  If a bunch die in their teens and twenties, life expectancy drops a lot.

Life expectancy among Caucasians of the Northern Plains is right in there with life expectancy in Europe.   Life expecancy among blacks in Mississippi is pretty low but it comparable to Grenada.

Life expectancy among Native Americas is lowest of all which seems proportional to their use of alcohol and narcotics.

I am 53 years old and have a living grandmother.  My 75 year old father can call his mother on the phone.  She still lives independently and drives a car.  I had two great grandparents who lived to more than 100.  Being American didn't kill them young.

I have been arguing against this tendency to generalize about huge populations of people.  How do you generalize about a population of over 300 million?  Lots of Americans live to be 110.  Lots of Americans die young.  There is a huge and radical standard deviation.

In other words, the average life expectancy in the US doesn't have anything to do with how long any individual American might live.

#5 Feb 23, 2017 11:00 am

Slice
Active

I think we are agreeing ah bit too much lately.  I mom was born in Grenada, but most of her adult life was lived in America.  She is in her late eighties and as sharp as ah tack.  She do not drive, but goes everywhere on her own.

Kinda trying to defend my Bad habit, here.  I read ah number of stories that folks are over ah hundred plus and smokes.

But something is seriously wrong with the way some Americans eat.  How the hell you  ah diabetic and eat Fry Chicken and Greasy hamburgers?

#6 Feb 23, 2017 6:42 pm

New Historian
Active

Expat wrote:

It's similar to the North of England/Scotland.

They have some of the most unhealthy foods.... including Mars Bars fried in batter not to mention excessive alcohol consumption, and lowest life expectancy.

In the South the food is better, but the Yuppies drink themselves to oblivion. I guess Liver sclerosis is going to climb up the league tables in a few years time.

And let's not forget that Northern delicacy: Chip Butty!! For the uninitiated: a sandwich, made of greasy french fries, smothered in lard, and fried - in grease lol!!

#7 Feb 23, 2017 7:00 pm

New Historian
Active

I often stay at Embassy Suites hotels, which are very popular with families because of the "free" all-you-can-eat breakfasts. Oh. My. God lol!! Big Poppa, Big Momma and the Big Kids go piling in, stacking those trays sky high! Jaysus, mind-boggling. I get your comments RD about diversity, but you've got to agree: Lumpen Americana has pretty unhealthy eating habits!

#8 Feb 23, 2017 7:47 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I see a hell of a lot more fat people in the US than in Europe.  That said, not everybody in Europe isn't rail thin anymore.  Starting to see some curves over there.

With livestock, real growth doesn't occur until the third generation of plenty. 

Because the US wasn't devastated in WWII, I think we are one generation ahead of Europe on the fat curve.  I am guessing in about 20 years they are going to see the same obesity epidemic.

The bottom line:  When food is endlessly abundant for three consecutive generations of human beings, obesity reigns.

#9 Feb 24, 2017 10:18 am

New Historian
Active

"The bottom line:  When food is endlessly abundant for three consecutive generations of human beings, obesity reigns."

I think with steroided-up Big macs it's a lot shorter than that nowadays, it's always funny to see little Mr. and Mrs. Immigrant, with their giant teenage kids beside them lol!

#10 Feb 24, 2017 3:54 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I see a hell of a lot more fat people in the US than in Europe.  That said, not everybody in Europe isn't rail thin anymore.  Starting to see some curves over there.

With livestock, real growth doesn't occur until the third generation of plenty. 

Because the US wasn't devastated in WWII, I think we are one generation ahead of Europe on the fat curve.  I am guessing in about 20 years they are going to see the same obesity epidemic.

The bottom line:  When food is endlessly abundant for three consecutive generations of human beings, obesity reigns.

I will bow to your livestock knowledge, although I would have thought a starved cow would be thin, and a well fed cow.... be fat?

As for humans, yes WW11 would have made a significant difference, as THAT generation learned to cope on very small diets, and learned to be frugal. This mindset would not have gone away simply once the hardships decreased. Many of their children like myself will have lived under their influence.

We have had part of this debate before, and I am pretty sure you defended the corn syrup food deviation up to the hilt, so we are likely to stalemate yet again.

But IMHO post war there has been an upsurge in wealth in the key European Countries, and as a result food has flowed more easily true. But depending on particular cultures it is not only food, but binge drinking etc which has ramped up the waistbands.  Added to that many of the processed foods do have corn syrup which is sweeter than regular sugar to make people addicted to foods that are a long way from healthy.

It is well known.... I think.... that poorer families are almost compelled to eat cheaper foods which are often fattening in nature.

I have had access to as much food as I could want for most of my life. I am far from overweight. Maybe it is my genes, or simply as I have observed many many times when I eat I am content with much less on my plate that fatter people who are eating at the same time as I am.

As a very physically hard working young man I did ramp up my food intake, but on realizing all that was happening was I was spending more money, and visiting the toilet more often. Most likely had I continued into later life I would have become a lard arse. But My eyes are not larger than my belly, so my belly stays respectfully small. During that time of greed, I did see my ability eat more and more increase, and I do like food.... but when reality kicked in, and I stopped shovelling it in I felt hungry for a few days as I ratcheted back down my intake, but after that I stayed on a plateau.

I think the main reason for fat people is self control... or lack of it. Ask just about any person not taking prescribed drugs which could be adversely affecting them.... and they will say.... Oh no, I do not eat very much.... yet I still put on weight...... Then watch what they eat.... both in composition, and volume, and if you are slim by nature, you will recognise they are eating more than necessary.

Board footer