You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Feb 28, 2017 9:02 am

Expat
Active

Re: Iowa Pioneer Cemetery near my home.

VIMY RIDGE

IMG_0918_small.jpg

#12 Feb 28, 2017 2:15 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

I guess you missed the inscription on the stone.

You are correct. I looked at it on my phone before and it was too small to read.  It makes me feel very sad. sad

The Jewish cemetery in Prague has not been moved and it is very old.  The reason it is so chaotic is that it couldn't be expanded to they kept adding bodies on top of bodies. 

During the more than three centuries in which it was in active use, the cemetery continually struggled with the lack of space.

Piety and respect for the deceased ancestors does not allow the Jews to abolish old graves. Only occasionally the Jewish Community was allowed to purchase grounds to expand the cemetery and so many times it had to gain space in other ways; if necessary, a new layer of soil was heaped up on the available area. For this reason, there are places where as many as twelve layers now exist. Thanks to this solution the older graves themselves remained intact. However, as new levels were added it was necessary either to lay over the gravestones associated with the older (and lower) graves to protect them, or else to elevate the stones to the new, higher surface. This explains the dense forest of gravestones that one sees today; many of them commemorate an individual who is buried several layers further down. This also explains why the surface of the cemetery is raised several meters higher than the surrounding streets; retaining walls are necessary to hold the soil and the graves in place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Jewis … ry,_Prague

#13 Feb 28, 2017 2:16 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

VIMY RIDGE

I will be visiting the WWI battlefields in France this summer.

#14 Feb 28, 2017 2:46 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
Expat wrote:

VIMY RIDGE

I will be visiting the WWI battlefields in France this summer.

I did Omaha etc the previous year, and WW1 last year. Beaumont-Hamel, and Lochnagar Crater both well worth a visit. Mametz Wood was "out of bounds" when I was there, due to unexploded ordinance, which was a shame as myself and my Cousin had a Grandparent apiece that survived that battle.... who would have attended a wedding together in later years, but as old soldiers don't talk, might not have known they fought in the same regiment, side by side as it were. Plus an "Uncle" who was gassed in the Somme who I was fond of. So lots of reverence to that trip.

Whereas the Germans have graveyards from WW2, I believe they were generally buried in mass Graves for WW1, so not too much to see.

#15 Feb 28, 2017 3:08 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I will be paying special attention to St. Quentin and Belleau Wood for personal reasons.   I also expect to visit the D Day beaches.

#16 Feb 28, 2017 9:08 pm

Expat
Active

So much to see with two conflicts.

Normandy is well presented, mostly as expected with American based centres of information.

Omaha Beach in all its peacetime calm is a scary place when you visualize what had to be undertaken. The poor souls schlepping up the long beach only to shelter on a thin strip of pebbles. Vulnerable not only to the shelling/mortars, but the shrapnel created by the pebbles being exploded.

It is hard to visit any of these places without leaving in a sombre mood.

Really Normandy, and sundry Towns have almost a Disneyland tourist attraction, and they pander to our curiosity.  But none the less it is still good.... lest we forget.

Perhaps as an American visiting some museums with Americana patches and Tshirts etc, you might have connections to justify purchasing insignia etc. But It would almost have been a disservice for me to buy that kind of memorabilia.

IMG_0212_small.jpg

#17 Mar 01, 2017 8:26 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I am going because my American Legion post is named after the Battle of St. Quentin Canal and I am the Post Historian.  Next year will be the 100th anniversary of the battle in which two men from my tiny little town were killed.  I am going to do a large presentation to the town on Memorial Day of 1918 and I want to go see it first hand.

#18 Mar 03, 2017 6:24 pm

houston
Active

That would be a great trip, would love to spend about a month exploring those fields.

http://south.greyfalcon.us/vimy.htm

#19 Mar 03, 2017 6:31 pm

houston
Active

Great photo. The memorial was refurbished about 10 years ago I believe.

#20 Mar 03, 2017 6:56 pm

houston
Active

Expat wrote:

OK, So how does this one may YOU feel?
https://s9.postimg.org/kqgbonyy3/Minnie_Wills.jpg

Saturday_Halifax_014.jpg

Saturday_Halifax_015.jpg

Saturday_Halifax_020.jpg

Most of the few bodies recovered from the Titanic are buried in this cemetery.

Board footer