You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Apr 29, 2020 8:29 am

Real Distwalker
Active

The mass hog kill continues...

This makes me feel sick.  What a waste.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets … li=BBnbfcN

#2 Apr 29, 2020 9:16 am

Expat
Active

Re: The mass hog kill continues...

It surely is, plus, I doubt there is much humanity in the culling. When animals are just a product to be disposed of the methods can be pretty sickening.

#3 Apr 29, 2020 11:42 am

WH Man
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

This makes me feel sick.  What a waste.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets … li=BBnbfcN

This is sad from many aspects. At this moment, there are ~1B people on earth that are going HUNGRY......living on ~$1 a day. At the same time, tons and tons of meat, and thousands of gallons of milk are being deliberately disposed. A difficult situation to reconcile.

#4 Apr 29, 2020 12:09 pm

New Historian
Active

Well, we're all still living, therefore we're all still eating, therefore there shouldn't be the need for all this mass dumping and killing of food that we're seeing now. But you know why there is?

WASTE! Restaurants are the most wasteful way of eating, with up to one third of all food being thrown away.

#5 Apr 29, 2020 1:06 pm

Slice
Active

Ah doh get the killing of all these animals, for waste.  Surely there must be a way to keep them for when the economy recovers. Maybe it is lack of planning from the farmers.

Yes with vegetables I can see the destruction, but with animals?  Nope ah doh get it.  Are you saying these animals can not last another three months on the farm?  How about feeding them once ah day, instead of all day?

I just can not wrap me head around this one.

Wait ah hog gains 30 to 40lbs every two weeks.  Damn that is ah bunch ah weight.  Stop feeding dem damn hogs so much.  Feed them grass, like we do in Grenada.  Me PADNAH in Grenada grows two hogs every year and he kills dem around Xmas.  Nice lean, good tasting meat.

Put them damn thing on ah diet.  Too much waste now.

Last edited by Slice (Apr 29, 2020 1:41 pm)

#6 Apr 29, 2020 2:53 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

Ah doh get the killing of all these animals, for waste.  Surely there must be a way to keep them for when the economy recovers. Maybe it is lack of planning from the farmers.

Yes with vegetables I can see the destruction, but with animals?  Nope ah doh get it.  Are you saying these animals can not last another three months on the farm?  How about feeding them once ah day, instead of all day?

I just can not wrap me head around this one.

Wait ah hog gains 30 to 40lbs every two weeks.  Damn that is ah bunch ah weight.  Stop feeding dem damn hogs so much.  Feed them grass, like we do in Grenada.  Me PADNAH in Grenada grows two hogs every year and he kills dem around Xmas.  Nice lean, good tasting meat.

Put them damn thing on ah diet.  Too much waste now.

I don't know for your pardner, I'll bet he don't just feed it grass for sure.

All those I know including me, that grow or grew pigs use Hog Ration, you may supplement it with Breadfruit and Mangoes, but it is reckless to feed from domestic scraps especially if it had meat content. I am sure RD will tell you it is illegal in the US.

He did already explain there is a peak period for pork, after that the beast is too big, and the meat probably too fat, but not in prime condition, and you try telling 500 pigs they getting short rations, cannibalism, and all kinds of stuff is going to go down.

#7 Apr 29, 2020 3:34 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

All of Expat's points are correct.  There are more pigs coming behind these pigs.  There needs to be a place for the new pigs.  Furthermore, Iowa butchers about 150,000 hogs a day.  That requires an industrial effort.  500 pound hogs won't fit in the machinery.

American hog facilities are treated as biohazard sites.  You have to dress like a surgeon to go into one.  You sure as hell don't feed them scraps or let them wander.  That would spread disease like crazy.

There are small butchers but they are already booked up until spring of 2021.

Remember Lucy in the chocolate factory?  That is what is happening in Iowa right now.  Only it isn't chocolates.  It is hogs.

https://youtu.be/_y0nsN4px10

Board footer