You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 May 04, 2020 7:07 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Canada hasn't peaked out yet...

This plot would indicate that, of the countries represented, only Canada hasn't hit the peak yet.

Opera-Snapshot-2020-05-04-180418-ourworldindata-org.png

#2 May 04, 2020 9:00 pm

Dancer
Active

Re: Canada hasn't peaked out yet...

Yep . The trend seems slow and long.

#3 May 04, 2020 9:20 pm

houston
Active

Yeah, and now the murder hornets.
Haven't quite decided...death by corvid or death by hornets the size of match boxes?

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/sci … -honeybees

#4 May 05, 2020 9:07 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Murder hornets?  Damn.  I better go buy a few cases of toilet paper.

#5 May 05, 2020 9:15 am

Slice
Active

What if Canada did ah great job and just wont get there.  You would think they would be beginning the peak by now.  That is ah long flat curve.

#6 May 06, 2020 7:55 pm

houston
Active

Slice, I don't think any country has peaked yet.
The curves are down because of the lock down and distancing that has been practiced for the past 6-8 weeks.
Summer is approaching and the distancing will gradually disappear.
The true peaks will take place in the fall or winter months during the second wave.
That will be the time that we know more about this ugly thing.

#7 May 06, 2020 9:29 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

houston wrote:

The true peaks will take place in the fall or winter months during the second wave. That will be the time that we know more about this ugly thing.

Unless we are lucky enough that they find a silver-bullet medical treatment, you are probably correct.

#8 May 06, 2020 10:43 pm

Expat
Active

Maybe they have ? flattened the curve ? just waiting for it to slide down the other side?

#9 May 06, 2020 10:55 pm

Expat
Active

Just about everything to do with this virus is a hypothesis, They think they have figured it out, and then it wasn't that, then they think they have figured it out, and it's only part of the answer, then they say... we have no clue, it's a learning curve.

No shame in any of that. The fact they have, or at least some countries have found a way to minimise the spread is something to be treasured.

There have been theories about Southern Countries getting it hard when its their Winter.... Dunno, I kinda figure most of the spread has been in the Northern hemisphere simply because that is where the most flights occur. The Virus has found its foot hold in Africa, but maybe apart from some of the sprawling cities the poorer regions are not being cross pollinated by people running to the country?  Who knows.

What I am watching with bated breath is Yemen, still only 25 cases, and it was 1 for quite a while, but if that gets into the camps, it's one humanitarian disaster after another. For them it would be apocalyptic.

#10 May 07, 2020 9:48 am

Slice
Active

houston wrote:

Slice, I don't think any country has peaked yet.
The curves are down because of the lock down and distancing that has been practiced for the past 6-8 weeks.
Summer is approaching and the distancing will gradually disappear.
The true peaks will take place in the fall or winter months during the second wave.
That will be the time that we know more about this ugly thing.

Two days ago New Zealand reported no cases.  Australia is not far behind.  They have peaked and now have none.  Their PM did ah great job.

Board footer