You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 May 07, 2020 9:52 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Canada hasn't peaked out yet...

Yeah, the reality is that other than some late to the game nations in South America and Africa, almost all of the world is past the peak.  Well, the first peak anyway...

#12 May 07, 2020 9:02 pm

Expat
Active

https://slides.ourworldindata.org/2020_ … 4ia1JiM#/1

I guess you picks yer graph to fit your angle.

What I draw from this is that America as yet does not have 5 times the figures of the UK, which it should have if we simply multiplied up the population count.

Last edited by Expat (May 07, 2020 9:03 pm)

#13 May 07, 2020 9:05 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:
houston wrote:

Slice, I don't think any country has peaked yet.
The curves are down because of the lock down and distancing that has been practiced for the past 6-8 weeks.
Summer is approaching and the distancing will gradually disappear.
The true peaks will take place in the fall or winter months during the second wave.
That will be the time that we know more about this ugly thing.

Two days ago New Zealand reported no cases.  Australia is not far behind.  They have peaked and now have none.  Their PM did ah great job.

Lets prAY THEY DON'T HAVE THE REINFECTION SYNDROME. (caps error)

#14 May 07, 2020 9:50 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

What I draw from this is that America as yet does not have 5 times the figures of the UK, which it should have if we simply multiplied up the population count.

Huh?  The only proper way to compare nations with different populations is per capita.

Opera-Snapshot-2020-05-07-205255-ourworldindata-org.png

Last edited by Real Distwalker (May 07, 2020 9:54 pm)

#15 May 08, 2020 9:14 am

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
Expat wrote:

Huh?  The only proper way to compare nations with different populations is per capita.

https://i.postimg.cc/8cwR7NG3/Opera-Sna … ta-org.png

Isn't that what I implied, the population count in the USA is 5 or more that of the UK, therefore the comparative rates whether infection death or recovery should be about 5 times more in the US of A. No? So as per my previous comment, America isn't doing as badly as the UK.... feel better?

Last edited by Expat (May 08, 2020 9:16 am)

#16 May 08, 2020 9:17 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Maybe I misunderstood you.

#17 May 08, 2020 9:38 am

Real Distwalker
Active

In any case, it is pretty evident who in the Anglosphere is winning...

Opera-Snapshot-2020-05-08-083702-ourworldindata-org.png

#18 May 08, 2020 3:57 pm

Expat
Active

Have I not from the very beginning of stats that could be interpreted stated that I am disgusted by the figures from the UK?

Compounded by virtually no reference to survivors. Especially on public broadcasting. All they ever hear there is how many died that day, or since the infections started.

Last time I looked it was still less than a 1000 survivors and 30,000 deaths. Hardly a cause for celebration.  I simply cannot understand where the figures come from. Yet at one point anecdotally a reporter said oh we have roughly a 1/3 death rate, which means 60,000 surviving, but John Hopkins and others state either N/A or like I said less than a 1000.

I may play antagonize you from time time to time, but generally if I beat on the USA, it is because I believe it is warranted, I have absolutely no problem with me beating up on the UK, or anyone else if it is justified.

#19 May 08, 2020 3:59 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I was actually celebrating Australia and New Zealand.   They are doing much better than the US, UK and Canada.

#20 May 08, 2020 6:16 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I was actually celebrating Australia and New Zealand.   They are doing much better than the US, UK and Canada.

Possibly my turn to have misunderstood?  smile  I took it in reverse, that the UK was at the top of the leader board.

I must admit I wander down the countries watching anxiously for ones that seem to have had minor infestations, and that they hopefully have a clean sweep of recoveries.

Board footer