You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 May 09, 2020 2:47 am

Expat
Active

America missing in action

Just before hitting the pillow I watched the Beeb, morning program, and the Shadow minister stated that there is a Global consensus to deal with vaccine, but America is missing.... not prepared to sign up.

Could it be America relinquishing more connection with the World. No WHO, no United Nations given half a chance, America comes first, and screw everybody else.... don't be surprised when it comes back to bite you in the bum. It ain't just balancing the books. Something Trump was never very good at anyway.

Probably, knowing Trumps angle, he hopes American labs will get a working vaccine first and then they can sell it at an extortionate rate to everyone else.

My response to Mr T.... F.U.

#2 May 09, 2020 11:32 am

WH Man
Active

Re: America missing in action

Expat wrote:

Just before hitting the pillow I watched the Beeb, morning program, and the Shadow minister stated that there is a Global consensus to deal with vaccine, but America is missing.... not prepared to sign up.

Could it be America relinquishing more connection with the World. No WHO, no United Nations given half a chance, America comes first, and screw everybody else.... don't be surprised when it comes back to bite you in the bum. It ain't just balancing the books. Something Trump was never very good at anyway.

Probably, knowing Trumps angle, he hopes American labs will get a working vaccine first and then they can sell it at an extortionate rate to everyone else.

I'm obviously unaware of the report you're referring to, but you can be assured that the US is in close collaboration with various research entities all over the world in the search for a vaccine. The CDC has researchers that are stationed worldwide working with different labs and research institutions on a routine basis. We also have private American organizations like the Gates Foundation that's funding and directing research efforts for a vaccine.

Despite the foolish comments made by our President, the US would never conspire to blackmail or engage in price gouging for a product the world needs. That's not in the American character, even if Trump may entertain that thought, better heads would prevail. On the contrary, America would donate free doses to poor underdeveloped countries.

The many good deeds of the US extend and touch the lives of more people on earth than what's provided by any other nation on the planet. Unfortunately, Trump is not our best ambassador. Eventually he will become a past President, and we will return to wise leadership.

Now, the WHO is another issue. When we subsidize an institution to the tune of ~$400M yearly, and they spend ~$200M on yearly travel expenses, it's about time to ask what they're doing to advance world health. If Dr. Tedros is a Chinese puppet...and he appears to be.....then let the Chinese finance them.

Last edited by WH Man (May 09, 2020 11:36 am)

#3 May 09, 2020 12:06 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

100++++++  WH Man!  smile

#4 May 09, 2020 12:20 pm

Expat
Active

WH Man wrote:
Expat wrote:

I'm obviously unaware of the report you're referring to, but you can be assured that the US is in close collaboration with various research entities all over the world in the search for a vaccine. The CDC has researchers that are stationed worldwide working with different labs and research institutions on a routine basis. We also have private American organizations like the Gates Foundation that's funding and directing research efforts for a vaccine.

Despite the foolish comments made by our President, the US would never conspire to blackmail or engage in price gouging for a product the world needs. That's not in the American character, even if Trump may entertain that thought, better heads would prevail. On the contrary, America would donate free doses to poor underdeveloped countries.

The many good deeds of the US extend and touch the lives of more people on earth than what's provided by any other nation on the planet. Unfortunately, Trump is not our best ambassador. Eventually he will become a past President, and we will return to wise leadership.

Now, the WHO is another issue. When we subsidize an institution to the tune of ~$400M yearly, and they spend ~$200M on yearly travel expenses, it's about time to ask what they're doing to advance world health. If Dr. Tedros is a Chinese puppet...and he appears to be.....then let the Chinese finance them.

It was not a report it was a statement of facts in terms of the non participation in the World vaccine program by the shadow minister for health in the UK on the BBC news.

Yes America has been a larger contributor for some time, and I could see it would rankle, and I can see making demands for greater participation with respect to funding is not unfair, likewise the UN. but as the present incumbent has basically said I am taking my toys and going home he is isolating America, and handing it to the competition. When if November doesn't get this turd out this continues, then America is going to find itself progressively sidelined.

One good turn may get voiced to maybe 10 people, a bad one can get to a thousand.

#5 May 09, 2020 12:35 pm

Slice
Active

These days ah doh know about America generosity.  With Trump as president any damn thing can happen.

They set that saloon owner free, and arrest the owners  of bars in the same Texas.  Ah doh get it.

Board footer