You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 May 09, 2020 4:39 pm

Slice
Active

35-4-1 WHA ALLYU TINK

During the shut down in New York, police have made 40 arrest. 35 are black, 4 Hispanics and 1 white. Folks are screaming racism; is, it?
Not sure what to make of those stats.

Online

#2 May 09, 2020 4:56 pm

Expat
Active

Re: 35-4-1 WHA ALLYU TINK

It doesn't matter what the stats are, it matters who was doing what.

If you are talking about curfew breaking, could it be yet another reason apart from squalid living conditions, and being front facing workers that Blacks are getting a higher percentage of the virus. Could it be hard head syndrome... dunno, but

Offline

#3 May 09, 2020 5:24 pm

houston
Active

Re: 35-4-1 WHA ALLYU TINK

Quite frankly I am tired the false data that is collected to create charts, graphs and spread sheets by people that do nothing but sit in front of a computer all day.
Get out and get the facts before manufacturing fake news.

https://www.healthing.ca/diseases-and-c … f-covid-19

Offline

#4 May 09, 2020 5:32 pm

WH Man
Active

Re: 35-4-1 WHA ALLYU TINK

Slice wrote:

During the shut down in New York, police have made 40 arrest. 35 are black, 4 Hispanics and 1 white. Folks are screaming racism; is, it?
Not sure what to make of those stats.

Well Bro Slice......rather simplistic to conclude racism without knowing the specifics of each police encounter. If under similar circumstances involving encounters with whites, we have this disparate treatment of blacks, then, racism would most likely be the reason.

On the other hand, if encounters with blacks and Hispanics reveal a different dynamic than that of whites...…….arrogance, an indifference in respect for the law and law enforcers, argumentation as opposed to simply being humble and agreeing to going home...…….as opposed to a different response displayed by whites, then we may get a different police reaction to the encounter.

Before screaming racism, we need to know more than simply looking at the numbers. Different attitudinal responses and behavior between whites  and those minorities during police encounters COULD be the reason for different treatment.

Offline

#5 May 10, 2020 10:15 am

gripe
Active

Re: 35-4-1 WHA ALLYU TINK

WH Man, you are not being fair. In fact, you are being contradictory. On the one hand you caution jumping to conclusions about racism based on a mere eyeballing of the data that Slice mentioned. Yet, on the other hand, in your ridiculous basis for caution you make a very disturbing assumption -- maybe its your embedded mindset -- that Whites have a better dispositional response to police than minorities. Here is your offensive statement: "Different attitudinal responses and behavior between whites and those minorities during police encounters COULD be the reason for different treatment."

You, WH Man, need to apply your own caution mantra and have the specifics of each encounter with the police for the data given by Slice reviewed before subjecting minorities to your utter bias.

Offline

#6 May 10, 2020 10:45 am

Slice
Active

Re: 35-4-1 WHA ALLYU TINK

Well ah tink that is why ah stayed away from calling it racism.  They just gave numbers. Everyone is screaming racism, and saying minority communities must be treated better.

Are blacks and other minorities simple disobeying orders? Are there white folks that are doing the same and not getting arrested?  Ah just doh know.


Ah just cant make ah decision base on just the arrest.  I need more.  What is the population in Brooklyn?  What is the minority population?

Online

#7 May 10, 2020 12:33 pm

WH Man
Active

Re: 35-4-1 WHA ALLYU TINK

gripe wrote:

WH Man, you are not being fair. In fact, you are being contradictory. On the one hand you caution jumping to conclusions about racism based on a mere eyeballing of the data that Slice mentioned. Yet, on the other hand, in your ridiculous basis for caution you make a very disturbing assumption -- maybe its your embedded mindset -- that Whites have a better dispositional response to police than minorities. Here is your offensive statement: "Different attitudinal responses and behavior between whites and those minorities during police encounters COULD be the reason for different treatment."

You, WH Man, need to apply your own caution mantra and have the specifics of each encounter with the police for the data given by Slice reviewed before subjecting minorities to your utter bias.


My friend, I'm sorry, I think you totally misinterpreted what I wrote. Please don't be too defensive and sensitive..

I did NOT stipulate that there was a difference in the dynamic of those encounters. We don't know. No bias there. I HYPOTHESIZED the possibility of a difference in response hence a difference in outcomes. I was not definitive about any reaction on their parts, I simply speculated that there could be a difference. Therefore different outcomes.

Now, what is offensive about my factual statement that sometimes there are differences in the interactions of the police with blacks vs whites?. In some cases we have bigoted cops treating blacks different than whites, and in other cases we have some blacks interacting with cops in a confrontational way. Based on social history, that should be obvious to you. Just like some whites, sometimes we behave in an unacceptable way when dealing with law enforcement. Intuitively, different attitudes produce different outcomes.

Offline

#8 May 10, 2020 1:04 pm

Expat
Active

Re: 35-4-1 WHA ALLYU TINK

Slice wrote:

Well ah tink that is why ah stayed away from calling it racism.  They just gave numbers. Everyone is screaming racism, and saying minority communities must be treated better.

Are blacks and other minorities simple disobeying orders? Are there white folks that are doing the same and not getting arrested?  Ah just doh know.


Ah just cant make ah decision base on just the arrest.  I need more.  What is the population in Brooklyn?  What is the minority population?


Brooklyn Demographics
White: 49.5% (non-Hispanic: 35.8%) African American: 35.8% Asian: 11.3% ... Hispanic or Latino of any race: 19.8%

Dunno, maybe your calculator works better than mine, but what ever way I total it I end up with MORE than 100%  ?

Last edited by Expat (May 10, 2020 1:19 pm)

Offline

#9 May 10, 2020 8:34 pm

gripe
Active

Re: 35-4-1 WHA ALLYU TINK

WH Man you made a much clearer argument in response to my criticism of your earlier post, particularly the sentence from you that I quoted.

All's well in the neighborhood.

Offline

#10 May 10, 2020 8:45 pm

WH Man
Active

Re: 35-4-1 WHA ALLYU TINK

gripe wrote:

WH Man you made a much clearer argument in response to my criticism of your earlier post, particularly the sentence from you that I quoted.

All's well in the neighborhood.

Great, I'm happy I was able to better articulate my position. All good.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB