You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 May 11, 2020 10:37 pm

Expat
Active

Here's one for you RD

And no this is not intended to wind you up... OK.

I'm having a tough time with this, I agree, and yet........ Restriction alah New York do seem to have benefits.

Can it be large swathes of our population just have crap immune systems. I am pretty confident mine is fairly strong, I ate dirt as a child (I guess), the World wasn't douched with Lysol all the time back then, I have worked in dirty polluted environments, and perhaps not been as clever with hygene as I could have been... ergo my immune system has had lots of battles, and will as a result be stronger.

I have not been immunized 78 times before I was 18, that has to be a bonus, and currently I eat lots of berries, and other kinda healthy stuff. I do have a potentially underlying condition which the virus is supposed to exploit, so maybe I won't willfully put it to the test... smile

It's not that long a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QNlrsiO-Fo

#2 May 11, 2020 11:29 pm

houston
Active

Re: Here's one for you RD

Hate to interrupt. Ate a pound of dirt during my youth, so should be good to go.

#3 May 12, 2020 8:10 am

Slice
Active

Me also ah use to eat dirt growing up.  When ah went to school ah use to eat chalk.

Expat ah doh know what to believe anymore.

#4 May 12, 2020 11:34 am

Expat
Active

Me, I think the guy is right, but, and it's a big but. ultimately as the World has not done what China did, which was to repressively contain its population, and as most of the leaders have listened to the half arsed advice from the CDC and WHO the situation has been managed, rather than controlled.

The cat is out of the bag. And it seems no one has the appetite to really do what would stop it in it's tracks. Keep everyone's arse separate for a given period of time.

From the very beginning they were more worried about the effect on the economy, so the virus has just persisted and persisted. The end result has been the economies have suffered far worse than they needed too.

Now everyone is so weary from the lock downs that it is not feasible to go back to the drawing board and tell everyone to stay put until the virus runs out of hosts.

The end result is eventually it will be accepted there must be some casualties, and basically me and Slice will meet you at the pearly gates when some other even takes you out in turn. But the old and infirm WILL pay the price for monetarism.

#5 May 12, 2020 12:10 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

You can be immune to a thousand different bugs but when a novel one comes along - like the novel coronavirus - your immune system doesn't recognize it.  You are a babe in the woods.

This invisible devil is loose in the world and, as a result, the world is a more dangerous place.  For the near term, it can't be helped much.  We are going to have to learn to live with the risk.

#6 May 12, 2020 12:38 pm

Expat
Active

Not going to agree there.

If that was the case 80% of the population wouldn't have already been able to either not be affected, or been able to cope without being hospitalised.

THEIR immune system did it's job. saw the foreign body and sent in the troops. You don't have to have had a bio attack to repulse it. Otherwise we as a species would have been wiped out eons ago. The fact that 80% have few issues, and even if it was down to 5%, it would mean there was something better with THEIR immune system. OK, I accept cases like the Smallpox infection of the natives when the Spaniards arrived counters my argument, but no medicine is 100% either.

This wasn't a trap really.... honest injun, but I have to respond to what is there.  If we didn't have so much polluted food, and such a toxic environment in large swathes of the urban World.... (trying hard not to say America). People would be in a better position to cope with many conditions.

#7 May 12, 2020 12:45 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

If that was the case 80% of the population wouldn't have already been able to either not be affected, or been able to cope without being hospitalised.

The theory that I heard, that makes sense, is it all depends on the virus load you got.  If you were infected with a very small virus load, your immune system recognizes the threat and deals with it quickly.  These people get few or no symptoms.

If you were infected with a great, big wallop of a viral load, it overwhelms your immune system, infects you badly and, when your immune system does go into effect, you are already sick and your overpowered immune system sometimes attacks the cells of your body too.

There are probably a dozen other independent variables too including, of course, how effective an individual's immune system is.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (May 12, 2020 12:48 pm)

#8 May 12, 2020 2:07 pm

Expat
Active

Sounds pretty reasonable, this immune system overload response is definitely a strong contender for being a major problem. Possibly the main reason for deaths more than the actual virus itself.

Yet another reason why mask wearing is not such a bad idea. It may not totally prevent transmission, but to use that expression may reduce the viral load to manageable levels.

Last edited by Expat (May 12, 2020 2:08 pm)

#9 May 12, 2020 2:15 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

That immune system overload thing is why the Spanish Flu tended to be more deadly for the young and healthy than it was for the old and unhealthy.  It made strong and vigorous immune systems turn against their own bodies.  Weaker immune systems weren't able to do that.

#10 May 12, 2020 3:35 pm

houston
Active

Slice wrote:

Me also ah use to eat dirt growing up.  When ah went to school ah use to eat chalk.

Expat ah doh know what to believe anymore.

Amazing what we used to put into our mouths at school. That white adhesive paste made from horse guts tasted pretty good during art class.
In that box of lead pencils, it was difficult to find one that hadn't been chewn up, same with the coloured pencil crayons.
ABC gum was popular too (all ready been chewn gum)
Sips of pop...everything was shared.

Board footer