You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 May 12, 2020 8:19 am

Slice
Active

KINDA STATES MY IGNORANCE ABOUT THE MEAT INDUSTRY

Never in my life thought so many pigs were slaughtered for the American market. I always wondered why are there so many Pig tails? Now ah know, maybe it could be in the billons, the amount of pigs killed daily for the American consumer.  When they show one farm in Iowa and ah see the amount of pigs on this one farm, that was when ah realize, how massive this thing is.

Salted Pigs Tails, cant live without it. In soup, Oil down and as ah stew in Pigeon peas and also Red beans.

#2 May 12, 2020 11:53 am

Expat
Active

Re: KINDA STATES MY IGNORANCE ABOUT THE MEAT INDUSTRY

Slice wrote:

Never in my life thought so many pigs were slaughtered for the American market. I always wondered why are there so many Pig tails? Now ah know, maybe it could be in the billons, the amount of pigs killed daily for the American consumer.  When they show one farm in Iowa and ah see the amount of pigs on this one farm, that was when ah realize, how massive this thing is.

Salted Pigs Tails, cant live without it. In soup, Oil down and as ah stew in Pigeon peas and also Red beans.

I used to eat a lot of pork at one time, now hardly ever. But just about every part of the pig, except tail, feet, or snout, nah, can't do it.

I was watching the Government footage of how clever they were providing feed for the poultry farmers, all the while showing the poultry farms in operation. Gotta say I was pretty disgusted. There were far too many chickens/chicks jammed up into the buildings. Ripe for infestation, unhealthy looking birds. Nah, the Farmers, and the Government oversight needs to do better.

As with so many things here, despite people being trained.... probably away.... everyone is basically on the same page, as what they know is what they know. Which is why driving doesn't improve, I watch police vehicles doing the same shit as everyone else. They just don't know better, and you can't tell them, so so stupidness never ends.

Or in the case of animals, indifference to their suffering/welfare.

#3 May 12, 2020 12:15 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Well, I have more than 2,700 hogs at nearly 300 lbs each in my facility.  They are being shipped on Monday.  At least that is what we are being told. 

Hogs are distributed.  The most you are allowed to have in one location are 6,000 and most of the time only 3,000.  Yet there are, at any given time, up to 16 million hogs in Iowa.  They are spread out across the entire state in more than 6,700 facilities.

Trump promised to increase pork exports to China by 400%.  It is happening.  Remember that as the price of pork skyrockets where you are.

My brother-in-law is an egg producer.  His facilities alone have six million laying hens in Iowa.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (May 12, 2020 12:15 pm)

#4 May 12, 2020 12:19 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

This is what our facility looks like.  You can't see the solar panels off to the left.  It is about 75% solar powered.  This is the one with 2,700 hogs.

hog-conf.jpg

#5 May 12, 2020 12:24 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Well, I have more than 2,700 hogs at nearly 300 lbs each in my facility.  They are being shipped on Monday.  At least that is what we are being told. 

Hogs are distributed.  The most you are allowed to have in one location are 6,000 and most of the time only 3,000.  Yet there are, at any given time, up to 16 million hogs in Iowa.  They are spread out across the entire state in more than 6,700 facilities.

Trump promised to increase pork exports to China by 400%.  It is happening.  Remember that as the price of pork skyrockets where you are.

My brother-in-law is an egg producer.  His facilities alone have six million laying hens in Iowa.

Oh good, at least you won't have to compost this lot. The pigs get to be dead either way, but it is probably going to be a better process for them, and it wont be a total waste.

#6 May 12, 2020 4:24 pm

Slice
Active

Ah ent going to tell ah untruth, ah love pork. With the exception of  the tails and the snout, every cut of pork I buy, must be antibiotic free. Ham also ah doh care.  Ah eating it.

The amount RD called is only in Iowa. Could you imagine the numbers in other parts of the country.  In the ole days ah use to drive to Brooklyn and buy ah bucket ah salted Pig tails.  Not now the damn thing get too expensive.

The Caribbean community  kinda introduce Oxtails to America. I was told here in Baltimore years ago one could  buy Oxtails more than 10lbs ah Oxtails for less than four bucks.  Now the thing is one of the most expensive parts of the cow.  Oxtails are now featured on some cooking shows.

Two slice ah bread and ah nice big piece of the noise right in the middle.  Me wife does call me nasty, when ah eat it.

#7 May 12, 2020 4:27 pm

houston
Active

I don't purchase much pork, find it to be dry and flavorless anymore. The aroma of side bacon is heaven but haven't bought one of those packs of fat ever since the supermarket slyly shrunk the weight from 500 grams to 375 grams and upped the price. What ever became of a pound of bacon?
Now when pork back ribs go on special, oh yeah, I'm in. Or cured pemeal bacon, excellent in a bun with cheese, egg, spinach, tomato and mayo..classic sandwich.
Eggs I have noticed have gotten small at the grocery. Extra large have now become medium sized. This article may explain why.
I usually get a flat of 30 fresh eggs directly from a farm for $3.50 rather than a dozen nearly expired eggs from the store for $6.50.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/business.fi … siness/amp

#8 May 12, 2020 4:36 pm

Slice
Active

Costco got ah nice thick slice uncured bacon for ah real great price. I still get nice size eggs jumbo from Whole foods.  You are so correct in the regular supermarkets I cant tell the difference between Xlarge and Jumbo and also small and medium.

#9 May 12, 2020 4:38 pm

houston
Active

Funny the influence of cooking shows.
Used to make oxtail soup for cheap but not anymore.
Beef ribs have gone way up.
Beef tongue was rarely purchased but has now become a delicacy.

#10 May 12, 2020 5:29 pm

Slice
Active

oxtail soup? Never had it.  For me it is either stew or curry. Will try the soup one day.

Board footer