You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 May 14, 2020 8:27 pm

houston
Active

WTF is the UN Security Council?

Another example of an elite group of inept politicians thinking for us?
That junior Trudeau punk would have trouble teaching his class of drama students.

https://nationalpost.com/news/during-co … or-un-seat

#2 May 15, 2020 10:15 am

gripe
Active

Re: WTF is the UN Security Council?

Maybe, houston, you should state (a) why the UN Security Council (UNSC) is not a viable and/or necessary organization and (b) why Canada should not pursue a seat on the UNSC.

The simple facts are, as to part (a), the article you posted answers your question about the UNSC's role although not in any great detail. More information is readily available. Regarding part (b), rather than criticize PM Trudeau on his UNSC campaign, you should realize that his efforts are not unlike any other leader whose country seeks a UNSC seat. It's a familiar process.

So, houston, I don't understand your objections. Possibly, your post was meant to just stimulate debate on issues that I believe you are well informed.

#3 May 15, 2020 11:06 am

Slice
Active

Am with you gripe.

#4 May 15, 2020 6:47 pm

houston
Active

To be honest I have no idea what the UNSC is all about.
Is it another organization like the WHO, which have a director with no medical degree?
What exactly do these prestigious organizations do for you and I? Being a member of the IOC is a pretty high seat also.
Understand that Trudeau is not without controversy. He was out of country trying to secure a UNSC seat while Canada was experiencing an internal economic problem due to rail shut downs shortly before the Covid crisis. His own ministers pleaded for him to come home.
He does like fancy socks and doing selfies but I'm not joking when I say that his prior experience before entering politics was as a drama teacher. His campaign message was that the budget would balance it self??...and therefore prints money and tosses around like a gift that will never have to be paid back. One trillion so far.
He is not without serious scandal either. He should have been charged with obstruction of justice earlier this year and yet may very be. That investigation is on going.

#5 May 15, 2020 7:20 pm

houston
Active

Flakey at best.
Would you like this drama teacher to be on the seat of any international council?

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/nationalpos … sie-pm/amp

#6 May 23, 2020 6:23 pm

houston
Active

gripe wrote:

Maybe, houston, you should state (a) why the UN Security Council (UNSC) is not a viable and/or necessary organization and (b) why Canada should not pursue a seat on the UNSC.

The simple facts are, as to part (a), the article you posted answers your question about the UNSC's role although not in any great detail. More information is readily available. Regarding part (b), rather than criticize PM Trudeau on his UNSC campaign, you should realize that his efforts are not unlike any other leader whose country seeks a UNSC seat. It's a familiar process.

So, houston, I don't understand your objections. Possibly, your post was meant to just stimulate debate on issues that I believe you are well informed.

Gripe, here is an opinion piece that answers some of your questions better than I could.
I also wonder if a seat on the UNSC is as important as it's made out to be.
Young Justin is no PET, nice socks and all.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/chris- … hold-water

Board footer