You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 May 18, 2020 8:25 am

Slice
Active

AS TANKLESS WATER HEATERS BECOMES MORE PREVALENT IN AMERICA

ah now beginning to wonder about the solar systems in Grenada.  I think it is ah $5000 investment in Grenada, and for awhile there it looks you din have ah choice, now it seems you do.  Thing is you cant ask folks how it works.  There is ah nice small one that can be placed under the kitchen sink and also somewhere in the bathroom.  Two small one for under $500.

Me cousin suggested that rather than brining them down, ah buy them in Grenada.  Ah wondering if they sell those small ones in Grenada? I think when you utility company are giving you that choice, you know thankless is the thing of the future.

Last edited by Slice (May 18, 2020 8:27 am)

#2 May 18, 2020 10:35 am

piratejenny
Active

Re: AS TANKLESS WATER HEATERS BECOMES MORE PREVALENT IN AMERICA

I have a tankless hot water system connected to my gas line. The placement is in the basement where it serves the kitchen and bathroom. It is a small wall installation compared to the big electric hot water tank I once had. The tankless is vented to the outdoors. I have no complaints. One does have to get used to a short delay for heating water up if you turn the spigot off and then on. I am not sure, Slice, what your post means. Is there an efficient way to heat water from solar panels? My 12 solar panels with net-metering only provides electricity.

#3 May 18, 2020 1:23 pm

Slice
Active

Ah tink what ah was trying to say and mainly inquire is, is it worth the price tag for solar  system  just to heat water verses tankless water heaters.  Ah really searching for info.

#4 May 18, 2020 3:27 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

Ah tink what ah was trying to say and mainly inquire is, is it worth the price tag for solar  system  just to heat water verses tankless water heaters.  Ah really searching for info.

The solar system in Grenada has a "header Tank" up with the heat exchanger on your roof.  You need that to give you a buffer for night-time hot water. You don't have an emersion tank like they used to have in the UK. No tank inside the house at all.

Best thing I ever did was get the solar. Only down side is you have to be bloody careful with the hot tap as it can get super hot, unlike the regulated water from a boiler system.

I haven't checked, but I would think it's a lot less than $5000. more like 3?. OK, so I was wrong, both times pre Ivan and after Ivan was $4000 so I am told, so probably $5000 is right....

Remember, the Sun is free, no gas or electricity bills.

Last edited by Expat (May 18, 2020 4:53 pm)

#5 May 18, 2020 3:32 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

My water is heated by waste heat from my geothermal system.  That part is basically free.  It serves a tankless system in case it isn't hot enough.  Even if it isn't, the tankless system doesn't have to do much because the geothermal water is, at worst, quite warm.

#6 May 18, 2020 3:37 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

My water is heated by waste heat from my geothermal system.  That part is basically free.  It serves a tankless system in case it isn't hot enough.  Even if it isn't, the tankless system doesn't have to do much because the geothermal water is, at worst, quite warm.

I guess Slice could always run a pipe from Kickem Jenny.

#7 May 18, 2020 3:49 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Down there you want something cool to pump your heat into.  If you lived near Grand Etang and put a loop in there, you could cool your house and pump the heat into the lake but, before you did that, you would heat your water. 

Actually, ground source heat pumps don't work in the tropics unless you have a source of relatively cool water.

#8 May 18, 2020 4:54 pm

Expat
Active

As the houses are not thermally efficient it is a non starter.

#9 May 19, 2020 8:35 am

Slice
Active

Look if it is up to me, ah ent having Hot water, but sometimes friends and family wanna stay with me and also wife,so it is important to have heated water.  I just like the Heated water head you place un top the pipe in the shower. It is like every month ah have to buy ah new one.

Ah keep wondering why me electrican never throws the old one away?  Then ah learn just yesterday that they are easily repaird and can last for about ah year.

Here is why I can live with none, if I take ah shower on a sunny day at about 5pm ah have hot water for about 30 minutes and the damn thing so hot ah does have to turn it off. I did not know the power of the sun; so one day at about 5pm, I watered my plants.  The next day they all was dead.  I asked the neighbor, why the hell all me young plants dead? He asked what time ah watered them? and I told him.  He said you kill them.  They are all bunt.

Thanks for the feed back, still go do some more research, because technology is changing almost by the minute.

#10 May 19, 2020 5:22 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

Look if it is up to me, ah ent having Hot water, but sometimes friends and family wanna stay with me and also wife,so it is important to have heated water.  I just like the Heated water head you place un top the pipe in the shower. It is like every month ah have to buy ah new one.

Ah keep wondering why me electrican never throws the old one away?  Then ah learn just yesterday that they are easily repaird and can last for about ah year.

Here is why I can live with none, if I take ah shower on a sunny day at about 5pm ah have hot water for about 30 minutes and the damn thing so hot ah does have to turn it off. I did not know the power of the sun; so one day at about 5pm, I watered my plants.  The next day they all was dead.  I asked the neighbor, why the hell all me young plants dead? He asked what time ah watered them? and I told him.  He said you kill them.  They are all bunt.

Thanks for the feed back, still go do some more research, because technology is changing almost by the minute.

Not really with heating water, it's still how much energy is required to raise water through 1 degree Celcius.

You real have guts. Now way on Gods Earth would I use one of those electric shower heads in a shower inches from my head pulling 240 volts...

Last edited by Expat (May 19, 2020 5:34 pm)

Board footer