You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 May 19, 2020 2:16 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Cousins?

I did the ancestry DNA thing a Christmas 2018 and, as more and more do it, more and more matches come up.  I know of no family tree tie to England but I now have six 4th cousins showing up in England.  I do have one family tree tie to Ireland and wonder if that might have something to do with it.

Whatever the case may be, Expat, I have cousins in England. :-)

#2 May 19, 2020 2:32 pm

Slice
Active

Re: Cousins?

Lord you and Expat cousin? Nah you might be cousin with dancer or Kaiso. Then again allyu always arguing, so it is possible.  Going to do mine soon.  I need to know way ah came from. Portuguese, European and African.  Ah need to know about that callaloo.

#3 May 19, 2020 5:50 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I did the ancestry DNA thing a Christmas 2018 and, as more and more do it, more and more matches come up.  I know of no family tree tie to England but I now have six 4th cousins showing up in England.  I do have one family tree tie to Ireland and wonder if that might have something to do with it.

Whatever the case may be, Expat, I have cousins in England. :-)

From my own experience, it is easy to follow a line, and think it's solid. I thought I had traced something back to like 1600 and something. However after a visit with my Half Brother who knows more names and history than I do, it seems what looked solid and sensible ended up being another contributors fantasy.

The annoying thing is after deleting links they do not seem to be accessible again   sad

#4 May 19, 2020 7:55 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I have seen some of that too.  That said, I can't see any English there at all.  Yet the DNA gives me specific connections that I can't trace.

All of my grandparents were born in the US.

2 of my 8 great grandparents were born in Europe.

11 of my 16 great, great grandparents were born in Europe.

30 of my 32 great, great, great grandparents were born in Europe

63 of 64 of my great, great, great, great grandparents were born in Europe.

As far as I can tell, none were born in Britain.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (May 20, 2020 10:32 am)

#5 May 19, 2020 11:08 pm

Expat
Active

England has such a mongrel race of peoples as you know. Celts, Picts, Saxons, Romans, Normans which were part Viking, Vikings, hell where do you start to say people were English, and Not French, or Danish, Welsh, Irish or what.  Even the Irish were slavers at one point. Everybody is mixed the hell up.

There could almost be more genetic authenticity in America than Britain, as many peoples settled in one location with their countrymen, only perhaps more recently mixing Slav with Italian, or Pole.

I have Irish, but no real ability to trace. Although my Nephew went to Southern Ireland and was both abused for being English, and also lauded when some found out his name, which was that of a Gun Runner during the troubles... Most of my direct ancestors came from Cornwall, or Devon, but there's a touch of German if you go back far enough. We've had farm labourers, servants, an officer in the Charge of the Light Brigade, and a Governor of Cape Town which means they were "Gentlemen of standing". But none of that means anything, as all I have ever done or been has been off my own back. No silver spoon, or connections to smooth things along.

Maybe a bit like you, but perhaps without the drive to make it big.

#6 May 20, 2020 10:31 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

Maybe a bit like you, but perhaps without the drive to make it big.

I really didn't have a drive to make it big.  When I was a teenager, I thought I would be a lifer in the Army.  When I got out and went to college, I thought I would get a job and have modest finances.  It turned out I was in the right place at the right time that allowed me to do some statistical work that helped a telecommunications firm have an IPO.  I made a name for myself and got stock options.

In  other words, there are two components to my success....

1) Skill
2) Luck

If either had been absent, I would have had no particular financial success.

#7 May 20, 2020 10:34 am

Real Distwalker
Active

It occurs to me that, if we are talking 4th cousins, we are going back 150 to 200 years.  If that is the case, any number of my Irish, German or Norwegian ancestors could have had decedents who emigrated to Britain a hundred years ago and who now consider themselves British.

#8 May 20, 2020 11:34 am

Expat
Active

Only they won't consider themselves British. Either English, Welsh or Scots.

If you value your head do not tell a Scotsman he is English.  It's a small place, but just Like New York of yesteryear, or maybe even now, there are strong demarcation lines..    Silly grin  smile

#9 May 20, 2020 11:42 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I get that.  A lot of folks from your side of the pond think "Yank" or "Yankee" applies to all Americans.  Southerners in the US, however, consider it a pejorative that only applies to those of the Northern United States.  You would do as well calling a Scot an Englishman as you would a South Carolinian a Yank.

Board footer