You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 May 20, 2020 6:24 pm

houston
Active

Interesting debate

Should these outfits with lots of money be permitted to ravage grave sites in order to make more money.

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/exp … al-dispute

#2 May 20, 2020 6:54 pm

houston
Active

Re: Interesting debate

Are we expected to believe that a wireless Marconi telegraph machine will reveal anything new after 108 years of being 12,500 feet below the North Atlantic?

#3 May 20, 2020 7:25 pm

Expat
Active

The bodies have long since become sludge on the sea floor, but still the mass graveyard should be respected.
I suspect much of the interest is in the gold and diamonds the wealthy took with them.

I can see pulling up a downed fighter plane, or a submarine if it is not years after it sunk or as has happened an ancient vessel like the Mary Rose for conservation, but this is a crumbling hulk Let it lay undisturbed.

#4 May 21, 2020 9:32 am

Real Distwalker
Active

If this were high school debate and we were randomly assigned a position - salvage or not to salvage - I would feel equally comfortable defending either position.

#5 May 21, 2020 11:58 am

Slice
Active

As someone, who doh like to look back, ah say get rid of them and build for the future.  They are of no use no more, they are gone, gone and never to be returned.  Make ah place in  history for them, so we can read and see their photos.

#6 May 21, 2020 1:15 pm

Expat
Active

Well you won't get any new photos, and they have all the photo's they need without disturbing the grave.

#7 May 21, 2020 3:29 pm

Slice
Active

get rid of them and build something for the future or now.

#8 May 22, 2020 5:03 pm

houston
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

If this were high school debate and we were randomly assigned a position - salvage or not to salvage - I would feel equally comfortable defending either position.

Laws of international waters would make for a good high school debate if high schoolers were able to identify countries, border lines or even able to judge 200 mile limits.
A ship built in Belfast, owned by an English company, sunk in international waters, then has salvage rights decided in a Virginia court obviously has a long list of hours spent in debate over what can be disturbed and what can not.
The point is, once given a green light to salvage certain items, it then becomes a free for all of take what you wish and become a profiteer. Not many cops at 12,000 feet below.
Lots of treasures down below but rights and ownership take a lot of court time when in international or disputed water.
I agree with Expat, let it rest and rot under observation without the treasure hunters.

Board footer