You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 May 26, 2020 9:45 am

Expat
Active

Light at the end of the Covid tunnel

Just read an article that states research in Singapore, and verified by a few other sources, that Covid is only infectious pre symptoms, and then 11 days from onset of symptoms getting weaker as the days go by within that 11 day period. This does clash a little with a Chinese report, but it depends on how you read their report as to whether there is a similarity in the result.

They say people still show positive in the PCR test, but they are not contagious.

So while there are cases of people staying positive for weeks after being diagnosed, they are not actually contagious, and could be taken out of quarantine. Saving them weeks of mental torture, and the state a fortune in medical treatment, not to mention freeing up beds.

My own little conjecture is that perhaps asymptomatic people are not actually infectious?.... only guessing, but it may be so. The only proof of that is confinement and repeat PCR, followed by the lab work that showed the virus was not transmittable in regular cases.

They also say that after the 11 day period is up people can still be displaying symptoms, but yet are not contagious. This opinion is derived from petrie dish observations rather than the blanker PCR test.

#2 May 26, 2020 11:03 am

Slice
Active

Re: Light at the end of the Covid tunnel

LORDEE Expat, that is so old news. Honestly ah tink ah read or saw dat more than three weeks ago.

#3 May 26, 2020 11:44 am

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

LORDEE Expat, that is so old news. Honestly ah tink ah read or saw dat more than three weeks ago.

And you didn't think it worth informing us?

There were German studies back in early April, the point is there have been MORE studies that make the observations more and more certain to be true. The Singaporean being the latest, and comparative against the earlier ones.

If as it seems these findings are accurate then we really could have killed this thing by having a proper lock down, instead of the half arsed "Oh I don't like my freedoms limited" versions we now see.

Why I raised it is simply because WE as in the virtuous ones with hardly any cases, could now be walking around mask free until some fisherman or similar goes off to places contaminated, and brings a fresh round back to us.

If the 4 cases we have.... now 5 with one of the cruise ships personnel being positive..... Another reason we shouldn't let you in without checks and balances. Then apart from the very latest 2 cases one of which is asymptomatic, and may not even be contagious, we could release them from quarantine unless they need medical treatment and return completely to normal. But with our borders closed.

We have plenty of PCR and rapid tests, what we now need is the culture technology these other labs have to determine when a patient stops being infectious, then if there is an outbreak and contact tracing works we could limit the lockdown and also not have to wait several weeks if ever at all for those that showed positive to stop being positive, as the PCR cant tell you when you stopped being infectious. but the petrie dish method can.

Last edited by Expat (May 26, 2020 11:50 am)

#4 May 26, 2020 3:41 pm

Slice
Active

Two small observations, they say the instant test kits are not very accurate.  Well in Grenada case, it might come from China, so it might be better.  If I am correct the CDC is advising against the rapid test kits.  Those are the ones the Trump folks are using in the White house.  They say those instant kits must be followed up, by the one that takes ah bit longer.

Now ah doh know how many returning nationals came in Sunday, but ah get this straight from the horses mouth.  One of the folks that was traveling with them have the virus.  He is ah Bajan.  Could be more trouble for allyu in Grenada.

Now what ah heard maybe three weeks ago, is that the first news from Singapore was, you could be infecting other folks, even when you tink, you are cured.  But they say their first information was wrong and that the test was faulty. They however; revised the test and said no.  Remember there are folks out there who have been release from hospitals and are still testing positive. in some cases three months after they have been cured.

Me cousin in law in New York, have been released from the hospital, two months ago, and she is still testing positive.

They are just learning about this virus, ah take every damn thing with ah grain ah salt.

Now they say it is very unlikely, you can get it from surfaces.  You tink ah go stop cleaning me door handles and wiping down surfaces?  Hell no.

#5 May 26, 2020 6:59 pm

Expat
Active

Our boys have tested and retested and think they are fairly accurate, but still follow up with the PCR more than once in a 24 hour period, so they are taking great care.

The individual PLUS all the others were tested, and quarantined, and will be retested.... without leaving quarantine. This reinforces my statements that your backside could not self isolate.

This falls into the original statement though. He and all those other people weeks later can still be testing positive. This does not mean they are transmitting the disease, which was the whole point of the original statement.

The general accepted numbers are 2-3 days before you shopw symptoms you can infect people. The research then says your infection rate decreases out to 8 days, and by the time you reach 11 days you are no longer infectious.  Like there are periods for other illnesses, like chicken pox for example.

So you can have inert virus in your system for weeks, but you ain't dangerous to the general public.

The trouble is much of the "science" they mention was educated guesses based on previous experience. This little bugger is a new baby, and is behaving differently. I concur keeping things sanitized is the fool proof way to go.

The 11 period thing seems Kosher though, as it is lab based observations of virus from patients after x many days until no replication was occurring.

Last edited by Expat (May 26, 2020 7:00 pm)

#6 May 27, 2020 11:05 am

Slice
Active

They now say, 90% of infections can be controlled if you wear face covering.

#7 May 27, 2020 1:44 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

They now say, 90% of infections can be controlled if you wear face covering.

I didn't quote a figure, but I have been saying that from day one. OK, to quote RD, the virus is like 3 microns, and the holes in the fabric are five, so the pathogen can pass through. BUT if both people are wearing a mask, and keeping their distance the viral load is small, and most people can fight it without immune overload.

You protect me, I protect you. Unless you live in Wisconsin, in which case it's a free for all.

#8 May 27, 2020 7:51 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

That's right.  The virus rides on spit, snot, saliva, phlegm and slobber.  Masks catch the spray and, thus, catch the virus.  They aren't certain protection but, if everybody wore one, it would help a lot!

Board footer