You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 May 27, 2020 10:58 pm

Expat
Active

Re: My bet is

You seem to see everything as what affects you.

Case proved me lud.

#12 May 27, 2020 11:04 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

And you seem obsessed with the the actions and behavior of people with whom you have no business at all.

#13 May 27, 2020 11:20 pm

Expat
Active

houston wrote:

It's a form of flu that will never go away, so get used to it world.
The fear factor created by authorities has caused a lot of damage.
Seems now, the authorities are having trouble reversing that spread of fear.

It will go away, eventually, unless it manages to modify  rapidly which it doesn't seem to have done. We have discovered different effects in various groups, and differing reactions, but it is the individual response, rather than the virus having changed.

It will go away either because enough people will have got it that unless those that didn't get it bump up against a live case there wont be any further infections. As per the ?latest? confirmed findings that transmission ends after 11 days from symptom outset.

Or, the vaccine will take care of it.

20/20 is a great thing, and at the outset we could not have known all the quirks of this virus. But had the Chinese strategy, or at least a down played version of it been employed, instead of that damn stupid flatten the curve strategy that deliberately sacrificed people, the pandemic would have been down to minimal traceable numbers long ago.

You can see the countries that have clamped down, how much their daily case rate has dropped away, even when they initially got overwhelmed, and then you have the you can't tell us what to do or the simply dumb brigade like the Brits where the numbers refuse to drop quickly.

This whole thing could have been a comparative inconvenience, rather than the financial disaster it has become. And say what you like my perspective on this has been pretty consistent from just after it spread from China.

#14 May 27, 2020 11:24 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
Expat wrote:

And you seem obsessed with the the actions and behavior of people with whom you have no business at all.

Elucidate?

Is this not an open forum asking and answering questions, putting forward hypothesis, and simply discussing World, and sometimes even Grenada's affair.

Does it only become irksome when your perspective is challenged?

#15 May 27, 2020 11:26 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

What is irksome is your daily rants claiming that you know the right way to do things and everyone else is doing it wrong.  You don't know.  You have no idea.

#16 May 28, 2020 1:10 am

gripe
Active

RD, these words from you sound a bit disengaged (I tried to be fair) with respect to the ongoing pandemic: "Life goes on and I intend to live mine." The lives of the over 100K deceased attributed to the pandemic deserve greater reflection since they, too, lived and had families and friends as you do.

#17 May 28, 2020 9:06 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Yes, the deaths are tragic. 

That said, about three million people died in the US in 2019.  That was about 8,200 every single day.  Every death was tragic in 2019 too. Still, nobody expected anyone to put their lives on hold to reflect on those deaths.  We all just lived our lives.

#18 May 28, 2020 11:32 am

Slice
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

According to the CDC, Iowa has had 360 fewer deaths in 2020 than they had in the same period during 2019. 

In any case, there is a new threat in the world.  There is a pandemic ongoing.  I am aware of it and doing what I can but I am going to carry on with my life.  I am not going to get all maudlin about the deaths.  People die in pandemics.  Nobody can stop that.  I am going to accept an increased risk in my life and get on with things.

You can sit down there in your little fool's paradise and wag your crooked old finger at the world but it won't matter.  Life goes on and I intend to live mine.

But RD, Iowa is not America. What is very puzzling for me is despite the Great job some governors are doing, it will all be  for not ah damn thing; because, of the poor ARSE  job SOME republicans are doing in most states.

In think in the end America will be number one.  I hate to say that, because she is me land.  America just has too many jurisdiction.

I do think when someone with some knowledge and ah tiny bit ah commonsense,  America will get rid of the devil once and for all.

Last edited by Slice (May 28, 2020 11:34 am)

#19 May 28, 2020 11:52 am

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

What is irksome is your daily rants claiming that you know the right way to do things and everyone else is doing it wrong.  You don't know.  You have no idea.

That is bordering on idiotic.

Every sodding country that has been either unprepared or lackadaisical has been royaly fcked.

Those that got on top of things may not have completely done away with it, although some have, but they have at least managed it down to levels that can be coped with. And as care techniques improve survival rates seem to be improving.

I am and could not claim to know it all, I am after all not the scientific genius you have claimed to be so many times before.

However the basic tenets of this are, as every sodding half sensible source says, wash your hands, keep your distance, do not make unnecessary journeys. WEAR A MASK. Something because of the right to do any bloody thing you like, many people do not do. Especially when the leaning tyower of Washington refuses to wear one. Setting a horrendous example.

Only a few weeks ago when i said wearing a mask was one of the most sensible things to do you jumped up and spouted the size of the virus against the material, and that it was ineffective. Only a couple of days ago you managed to make a 180 change of mind. You might catch up eventually.

What is done cannot be undone, those who are dead cannot be brought back to life, and whether more are killed every year on your roads is totally irrelevant postulating. America guided by a moron, has self fertilised and has proved how many bad decisions it is possible to make in one go. Aided by some really dumb guidance from the WHO and CDC at some points. No I am not more clever than all those scientists, but somehow eventually they are coming around to say the things they should have said in the first place. Unfortunately because there was a shortage of medical grade masks they found it expedient not to say wear a face covering if you cannot get a mask, but do not even bother to try to get a mask.

And no, I am not bashing America I am stating what is bloody obvious to anyone who is not wearing blinkers.

I say similar things about Britain. Which you may have seen in parallel posts.

If you can't cope with extended periods of endless death and casualties, without feeling affronted that it's even mentioned, how the hell would you have coped with the Vietnam War. Every bloody night in the news, Saigon this Pnohm pen (sp) that, x amount of casualties, pictures of huyes (sp) dropping off grunts and picking up casualties. Followed by the Khumer Rouge and killing fields. I guess you would have crawled off into a corner and sniveled until it was all over.

#20 May 28, 2020 11:52 am

Real Distwalker
Active

You are correct that Iowa is not America but what I don't think you understand is that Iowa is my "country".  I am more patriotic about Iowa than I am about America.  That's why I talk about Iowa so much.  It is my state, my "country", my land, my home.

Board footer